“Just okay”

Lavash
Ranked #897 of 5,866 Restaurants in San Francisco
Cuisines: Persian
Dining options: Reservations
Description: San Francisco's Persian cuisine.
Reviewed August 19, 2012

Uninteresting food, often bland, meats extremely overcooked; excellent welcome and table service. Nice appetizers, though.

Reviewed August 10, 2012

Outstanding Persian restaurant! We loved everything we have tried there and plan to go back next visit to San Francisco to try more dishes from their large menu! Service was excellent and the wine list was not over the top expensive like some leading restaurants. We tried all the Persian restaurants in San Francisco and by far this was the best.

Reviewed April 21, 2012

As a party of five we sampled a wide range of food. Particular favorites were the meat stuffed dolmas, the chicken skewers, and the roasted eggplant spread. This is a small venue, so the wait to be seated can be long, but the interesting flavors and attentive service are worth the wait.

Reviewed April 18, 2012

This is a small restaurant, so you will want to be sure to make reservations. When we walked in, there was no room--only an empty table held for a reservation. The manager quickly called the party holding the table and worked it out so we could sit down immediately at the table. Wow, how often does a restaurant do that! Once seated we were given quick and courteous service. The food was excellent, too!

Reviewed December 10, 2011

So, my history with Lavash:

It has always struck me as what it appears to be: trendy, quaint, usually not too loud, pretty good food, nice enough neighborhood. It has an ambiance that I've trusted over the past few years to be one that excels -- maybe not to the highest level -- but far beyond most such that, frankly, it's a conservative choice for a restaurant for a first date.

Until last night.

So, I take my date to Lavash with a more or less standard 8:30 reservation. We arrive at perhaps 8:35 and wait for about 5 to 7 minutes as they get a table situated for us. It wasn't quite the "oh, we have your table waiting for you" service that I might expect from a reservation but more from the airline school of thought where we take reservations and sometimes we overbook and sometimes we don't.

I'm feeling artful this morning. I'll skip to the point.

My date was Indian -- Hindu -- and ordered a dish that, when it comes to meat, consisted only of lamb. I ordered a dish that contained all beef. When we received our plates, we noted that her plate contained two types of meat and that one of the meats looked a lot like mine (beef). She asked one of the restaurant employees whether the mystery meat was, in fact, beef and received an assurance that it wasn't. She then politely asked that the woman verify with the cook that it was lamb. A short while later, the woman returned to tell us that, in fact, my date had been given beef. Apparently, they ran out of lamb (were likely just running short on it) and replaced the item in the dish with a substitute...

...without informing the customer. Problem number one. There would have been an allergic reaction. There was, in fact, a religious objection. Those two points aside, it was a violation on the part of the person who prepared the dish.

So, my date asked that the dish be redone without the beef. The plate returns a short time later without the beef, but it appears that the beef was simply removed leaving the beef oils on the rice. She asked if the beef was simply removed and the woman that brought us our plate -- white woman, late 40's, blonde hair -- says that, no, she actually removed all of the rice, replaced the flat bread that lines the bottom of the place, and yada yada yada...

...except that the rice clearly had beef oil on it and a nearly unmistakable indentation where the long, tube-shaped piece of beef used to be. Problem number 2#: we received a bold lie in response a politely placed religious objection after our order was changed without our knowledge.

So...I stare at the plate for a moment and just said to my date, "She's lying." I should never had to say this when I'm dining out.

The rest of the evening doesn't really matter. My core issues with Lavash are stated above. The change in the order without notifying us could possibly be chocked up to a low-wage, rookie cook, but I have a low tolerance for being lied to in any context.

I will not be eating at Lavash ever again.