“A special romantic and tasty evening”

Alexander's Steakhouse
Dining style: Fine Dining
Neighborhood: Mission Bay
Cross street: Between 3rd & 4th
Transit: Caltrain, MUNI
Description: Executive Eric Upper offers a fine dining interpretation of a Modern American Steakhouse with hints of Japanese and other influences throughout the menu. Featuring classic cuts such as Ribeye, Bone-In New York and Filet Mignon, sustainable seafood, our signature Hamachi Shot and the largest variety of Japanese Wagyu Steak in the U.S. (we currently feature 11 types of Japanese Wagyu). We also highlight dry-aged steaks and offer the finest and most luxurious products available including tasting menus and an award-winning wine list designed by Wine Director Maxwell Klassen. The bar program features seasonal ingredients with a Japanese twist, curated by Bar Director Gedeon Tsegaye.
Reviewed September 7, 2016

My wife and me celebrated our 40th anniversary at this fantastic steakhouse. The steaks dishes were huge and excellent. The atmosphere was romantic and the service excellent as well.
Recommended for special event (or open account...).

Date of visit: August 2016
Write a reviewReviews (313)

Reviewed August 31, 2016

This is an amazing place but your wallet better be full! It is amazing food and fabulous service. We are from the Midwest and I struggled to know what was going to be served after I ordered but everything we received was excellent! Staff was very patient and helpful with our questions. It is a beautiful restaurant, it is upscale and I would not take young children there, but if you are looking for a night on the town with your guy and money is no object this is a must do!

Date of visit: August 2016
Reviewed July 31, 2016 via mobile

My husband and I visited Alexander's Steakhouse to celebrate our wedding anniversary as part of a long weekend trip to SF. The sommelier and a waiter were very professional and more importantly wagyu steaks were stunning! As was the red! Highly recommended for a special celebration.

Date of visit: March 2016
Reviewed July 17, 2016

We had 3 weeks in the states, visiting many different states, including Las Vegas. Alexanders was the best steak we had the whole trip.
The atmosphere, service and food were all top notch.

Date of visit: July 2016
Reviewed July 4, 2016 via mobile

As a frequent traveler, I have experienced a lot of steakhouses around the world. Alexander's was easily my favorite in North America, but my most recent visit was a disappointment.

First, let's clear the elephant from the room: the cotton candy tradition is no more. Is this a big culinary deal? No. Is it a big experiential deal? Yes, yes it is. The cotton candy was a fun twist on the end of a meal that could be a wonderful but a little pretentious. There is no smile at the end of dinner anymore. Just the giant bill.

And what a giant bill it is. You can't do Alexander's right and get away on the cheap. I have no problem with high priced meals... as long as the food and the service was worth it.

This time, it wasn't.

It also seemed the cocktails were over priced, even by high-price restaurant standards.

The staff was uneven at best. Some seemed to care quite a bit while others were clearly phoning it in.

The meal was good, but not great. If this were my first Alexander's dinner, it would have been my last. That pains me to say. The kitchen had trouble getting steaks cook properly, which is really job #1 at a place like this. We heard excuses, but no one took ownership for the fact that we were paying top dollar for food from a kitchen that couldn't deliver what was ordered.

I will give Alexander's another chance since my prior experiences were so wonderful, but I fear that the demise cotton candy is just the tip of iceberg when it comes to changes at the restaurant.

Date of visit: June 2016