“Great steak, trribaley expensive, exteamly slow service”

Alexander's Steakhouse
Dining style: Fine Dining
Neighborhood: Mission Bay
Cross street: Between 3rd & 4th
Transit: Caltrain, MUNI
Description: Executive Eric Upper offers a fine dining interpretation of a Modern American Steakhouse with hints of Japanese and other influences throughout the menu. Featuring classic cuts such as Ribeye, Bone-In New York and Filet Mignon, sustainable seafood, our signature Hamachi Shot and the largest variety of Japanese Wagyu Steak in the U.S. (we currently feature 11 types of Japanese Wagyu). We also highlight dry-aged steaks and offer the finest and most luxurious products available including tasting menus and an award-winning wine list designed by Wine Director Maxwell Klassen. The bar program features seasonal ingredients with a Japanese twist, curated by Bar Director Gedeon Tsegaye.
Reviewed May 23, 2016

The steak was really good - I had the schmiz steak
the sides we have shared at the table were very good as well
the service was very slow - it was about 40 min until we got our food
the desert menu is very poor in terms of selections
the coffee we have got was not matching what we have ordered
and the price - EXTREMELY expensive for this kind of food.

Date of visit: May 2016
Write a reviewReviews (313)

Reviewed May 19, 2016

The steaks and fish were very sumptous,Service was a refresher.Nice place to dine and relax and great atmosphere.

Reviewed May 16, 2016

The presentation of the food, the incredible variety of Wagyu they had on their menu, along with the constant stream of chef-compliment aperitifs made this an exceptional dining experience that I will never forget.

Foie Gras is the best I've ever had.

1  Thank mlsrar
Reviewed May 8, 2016

I'm a steak person and I like it straight-up without interference of odd "flavors"....but back to that later.

The wine list and wines by the glass were varied, extensive, and worth going to for a glass. It's actually worth skipping dinner....

I went on business with a concierge of arguably the top hotel in S.F. This person did not announce whom they worked for but wanted to test this place out as referrals for their guests and dignitaries.

The waiter took our order. He was curt, explained dishes when we asked specific questions, but never offered additional insight into the philosophy or background of the restaurant.

Started out with the parsnip soup. A server came to the table and looked like he squirted hairspray/mousse into a flat dish. We waited to commence dinner until I received my soup. "That's your soup," he said, referring to the "C"-shaped foam on my bowl. Um, I didn't realize it was going to be one of "these" types of dinners. I am perfectly fine with it but "steakhouse" is a different connotation and expectation. The flavors here were heavily Asian-inspired, which brings me to my steak.

I ordered a filet, rare. Yet, the steak had a slightly fishy, "umami" flavor that simply tasted different enough not to love. The quality of the steak, though, was wonderful. So it felt bad to leave much of it on the plate.

Dessert saved the evening. Chocolate soufflé which was light as air but dense with flavor.

Date of visit: November 2015
Reviewed April 30, 2016

The food was good but not great. The price is a little steep. I don't mind paying good money for great food and drinks, and I was just left lacking.

There's better alternatives in San Francisco