“Great food, ironically not the steak”

Alexander's Steakhouse
Reserve with OpenTable
Alexander's Steakhouse is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #385 of 5,664 Restaurants in San Francisco
Cuisines: American, Steakhouse
Good for: Bar scene, Romantic, Large groups, Special occasions, Business meetings
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Accepts American Express, Accepts Discover, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Full Bar, Parking Available, Private Dining, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Valet Parking, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Dining style: Fine Dining
Neighborhood: SoMa
Cross street: Between 3rd & 4th
Transit: Caltrain, MUNI
Denver, CO
“Great food, ironically not the steak”
Reviewed September 3, 2013

We had some wonderful items at Alexander's including hamachi shooters, truffle fries, and a wonderful salad with egg on it. The steak we had, however, was extremely gristly and tough. It could have been a fluke/exception to the restaurants acclaimed dry-aged beef, but, especially since it was priced at $60 for the strip sirloin, it was a terrible disappointment.
The wait staff was very professional and attentive. Five stars for service.

Rimini, Italy
“Not the best steak I had. Just average.”
Reviewed September 3, 2013 via mobile

Not impressed by the food, my steak was just average. Lot of smell coming from the open-air kitchen in the dining room. Wine list is ok.
As many other reviews already said, yes, this place is expensive, so be prepared. When going to a steakhouse I know that it's not gonna be a cheap dining experience, and I'm ok with that if the food worth it. Unfortunately this was not that case. In my opinion this place lacks of atmosphere.
The service at least was good.

1 Thank interpol81
Fairfax, Virginia
“Pricey but delicious!”
Reviewed August 31, 2013

I'm giving this restaurant 5 stars because my group loved it sooo much. For me, I don't need to pay that much for food no matter how good it tastes! It was an experience thought. Prepared to be pampered! The restaurant has a modern feel with a cozy ambience. We went on a Monday night at 7:30 and had the place to ourselves. The service is excellent. The quality of the food is top notch. My group tried the Waygu burgers and loved them. The palate cleansers served between courses were amazing. So was the surprise dessert served at the end of our meal-best cotton candy ever!

• Visited July 2013
San Luis Obispo, California
“The Perfect Steakhouse Experience”
Reviewed August 31, 2013 via mobile

Alexander's has everything you want in a perfect steakhouse, great steaks, fabulous service and quite interesting appetizers, salads, sides and desserts. But, boy at this place you really have to hold onto your wallet. We were a party of six and our bill was just over $800, a little spendy for this person. Otherwise, I recommend Alexander's for what it is, "A perfect Steakhouse"

Visited August 2013
Seal Beach, CA
“Several Steak Styles”
Reviewed August 30, 2013

Went to dinner pre-Giants game with business associates, four of us. Why this restaurant doesn't open until 5:30 PM on game nights is a mystery to me. Started with Hamachi Shots which were interesting with a blend of different tastes. Six delivered and only four eaten though, so none of us liked it enough for a second one. Several "little tastes" were delivered to us free all of which were interesting. Several steak styles were available including wet aged, dry aged and wagyu steak. Three of us had filet mignon, 10 oz, which were covered in bordelaise sauce. All three were perfectly cooked. My choice was 24 oz. bone in dry aged NY strip. I chose to skip the peppercorn sauce so I could enjoy the dry aged flavor. (why dry age it if you are going to cover it in peppercorn? My medium rare steak was overcooked, just about medium. Good flavor though. No time for coffee or dessert as we had to rush off to the game.