“NY Strip was tough”

Alexander's Steakhouse
Reserve with OpenTable
Alexander's Steakhouse is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #246 of 5,909 Restaurants in San Francisco
Neighborhood: SoMa
Cross street: Between 3rd & 4th
Transit: Caltrain, MUNI
Reviewed August 9, 2012

The service was friendly and efficient. Our server took us through the menu and it made my guests comfy with their choice for dinner. We all decided to start with the house caesar salad and that was delicious. My guests ordered the filet and I ordered the NY, bone in strip and we shared 3 sides (truffle fries-super good, asparagus gratin-fresh and rich, wild mushrooms-earthy and meaty). My business guests loved the details, the amuse, the choice of cutlery, drinks and wine service. Their filets were delicious they said but my steak was down right tough and full of gristle. I expected a $58 cut of meat to be tender and juicy. I could not even detect the aging on the steak. The server comped us a gran marnier soufle which was light and delicious. The manager came over to apologize for the steak but I had already made up my mind that this place was overrated. I will again say that my guests enjoyed their meals and commented that the caesar was the best they'd every had.

Reviewed August 7, 2012

I'm a native New Yorker that recently relocated to SF. I've loved some of the restaurants we have tried (Boulevard, WaterBar, Slanted Door, Frascati, Zarzuella). We were in the mood for a steak and Alexander's was the only place we could get into at the last minute. The steaks were average and yet the Ribeye cost $60. It cost a lot less for steak in NYC's top steak restaurants so that was a bit of sticker shock. The whole place seemed a bit too pretentious for my blood. Anyway, of all the top restaurants we have been to in SF in the few months we have been here, this s the only one we will not try again.

1  Thank RelaxLiveRight
Reviewed July 1, 2012

When I pay $45 for a steak I want to taste the steak, not a gloppy, spicy, Asian fusion sauce. That's my big gripe about this place, everything is smothered in sauce. I order the charred octopus appetizer and it had a smothering sauce very similar similar to the steak; could hardly taste the octopus. Next time I want a great steak I'll go elsewhere. Maybe come here for something other than the steak. I don't think the steak was that great before they put the sauce on it anyway.

Reviewed June 21, 2012

Had dinner here during my last business trip to San Francisco. Had dinner with 7 friends after the us open golf tournament. One of the best steaks I have ever had! All 8 of us got steaks, and everyone said it was awesome! Service was great! They even accommodated us adding 2 extra people at the last minute. I will definitely come back here on my next trip.

Reviewed May 16, 2012

We visited Alexander's during a holiday in SF without reservation, but got seated quite quickly after a drink at the bar (miso-honey cocktail, which I wanted to challenge but unfortunately miso and cocktail is not a good match).
After we were seated it took quite a long time until we got the menues, even longer until somebody bothered to take up our drink order and for getting bread we had to ask 3 times.
Took basically 30 minutes until we got the setting done. Our waitress, an Asian lady, was kind in a professional way out of a manual, but without any real "feeling" towards the customer and as mentioned - almost never there and slow.
We ordered Hamatchi shots for starter and Foie Gras, which was good. Asparagus salad was coming afterwards, not that good. About 3 or 4 asparagus on a bed of jelly green slime might look futuristic, but is no salad to me. Very disappointed.
For main we ordered aged NY strip (me) and Tajima (partner). He was asking for the recommendation for a filet and got this one, so he decided to try.
When the food came, he was surprised about the gigantic size of his piece, but was just happy (we are living in Japan and everything here is usually small after all) and dug in. The surprise came with the bill, when he realized, that she brought him a "strip", which was bigger, but also 30$ more than the filet (he did not manage to finish anyway, so what a waste). She could have asked or confirmed the order! Or just pay attention, he was talking about filet all the time. Made the impression you get at some regular bar, where they automatically just bring you the large beer and charge you if you don't stop them...
So overall: Food was ok, except that they seemed to be keen on adding something "fancy Japanese" to any dish (almost ridiculous level), but service was... Late, not listening, not caring... Superficially like out of the manual, but actually really really bad...
We will erase it from our restaurant map...

2  Thank MonaMona_Jp