“Good - but I won't go back”
Review of Tacolicious

Tacolicious
Ranked #369 of 5,666 Restaurants in San Francisco
Cuisines: Mexican, Spanish
Good for: Bar scene, Kids
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Lunch, Full Bar, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Television, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Neighborhood: North Beach / Telegraph Hill
Description: Tacolicious is by no means a traditional taqueria-you won't find burritos here. What started out in the summer of 2009 as a little taco stand at the Thursday Ferry Plaza Farmers Market with a fittingly frivolous name, has become a sit-down, cocktail-driven restaurant, 120 tequilas strong. Tacos anchor a menu that extends to dishes such as beet salad with grapefruit and pumpkin seeds, tuna tostadas, grilled squid served Veracruz-style, albondigas, shrimp a la diabla, and toasted coconut flan. Like many native Californians, Mexican food is in us. Though we grew up traveling to Mexico regularly (and still do), it took a trip to Mexico City-where the food is served in settings as sophisticated and urban as you'll find anywhere in the world-for us to realize that tacos don't have to be relegated to street food or a corner mom-'n'-pop. We're proud to be based in San Francisco, a town where the words local, sustainable and organic have become so redundant that they make you want to yawn. But just in case you were wondering about our menu: The answer is almost always, "Yes, yes and yes."
Fort Worth, Texas
“Good - but I won't go back”
Reviewed April 28, 2013

The reviews that state this is a loud and crowded restaurant for yuppies are absolutely correct. If that's your scene, you will probably love Tacolicious. It's very small and even at 4 p.m. on a Saturday, it was jammed and there was a short wait and not even for a table - just ended up eating at the bar. All but a couple of the tables are high with bar stools anyway. The noise and activity were intense so didn't make for a relaxing dining experience. My husband and I had the kale salad (enough for two), the four taco plate and a shared burrito. I especially liked the burrito - it was HUGE and tasty with sausage, eggs, etc. (only one variety available). We tried the carnitas, cod, and short ribs tacos. All were good. The chips and salsa were tasty but our service was very rushed. The salad came almost right away and the burrito before we'd taken more than a few bites of salad. I guess that's good, as we didn't have time to fill up on chips! Overall, it was an OK experience in terms of the food but not a scene that we'd choose to go back to. (FYI - we're seniors!)

Norfolk, Virginia
“Good food, great atmosphere”
Reviewed April 25, 2013

Our local friends introduced us to this restaurant. The weather was great on this particular day and everyone was out and about on Chestnut street which made it more fun. They opened the windows so you could watch all the pedestrians going by. The food and drinks were great too!

Visited April 2013
Midlothian, Virginia
“Great place! Chips and salsa the best! Great people watching!”
Reviewed April 24, 2013 via mobile

Right in the heart of marina district. Great locals place. Al we had was salsa and chips and Cadillac margarita.

Boston
“Great tacos and cocktails”
Reviewed April 21, 2013

I went to the one in the Mission with a friend and being that it was Saturday night, there was a 40 minute wait. We hung out in the bar next door and had one of their house margaritas, which was incredible. Their cocktail menu is pretty creative (and funny) so I couldn't say no. We were lucky enough to get seating outside (which was good because the place is really loud inside). We ordered the plantains, which were solid but nothing extraordinary. I also ordered the tuna tostadas which were amazing. Fresh tuna covered in these crispy little onion bits...I wish I had just eaten those all night. We also got a range of the tacos and the short rib ones were the best. It's definitely worth the wait as the food is so fresh and flavorful and the place just has a super fun vibe. Yum!

Middleton, Wisconsin
“Best tacos ever!”
Reviewed April 15, 2013

As a family of four I think we ordered every taco! They were so good! They bring them out on a tray family style and you dive in to get what you ordered. I enjoyed the beer braised chicken and a pork adobe I think . Very good service and quick!