“Great pie, okay quiche”

Neighborhood: Mission District
New York City, New York
“Great pie, okay quiche”
Reviewed June 15, 2013

This is another place I tried a couple of times. The first time we went for dessert and the pie was really great. I'd definitely give it a thumbs up and want more. The second time I went for quiche - which was also supposed to be really great but was kind of a disappointment. It took a really long time to arrive at the table (you order at a counter and then they bring it to you) and when it got there it was a dinky piece that was falling apart. It didn't look very good at all. It tasted pretty good but for the price I expected better. So I'd recommend to go for the pie - which was truly delicious and skip the other stuff on the menu.

Visited April 2013

• Chinese (Traditional) first
Marion, Virginia
“Tasty little hole-in-the-wall in the Mission District”
Reviewed June 2, 2013

Nice place for dessert or a light breakfast. Lots of pie choices, friendly staff, and a nice, home grown whole earth vibe. The peach and blackberry pie was very good, especially with the homemade ice cream. Our dining companions had the banana cream pie, which looked good as well.

• Visited May 2013
Boston
“Great pie, super busy”
Reviewed April 21, 2013

We stopped here after dinner for some dessert and I am glad we did. They had an assortment of pie options. I appreciated that they had some basics, like apple and banana cream, but had some slightly different ones as well, like almond and apple rhubarb (and lots of savory ones as well). I got the banana cream and it was excellent! I loved that the topping was not super thick, nor was the pie so sweet that it was cloying. Perfect balance on a buttery crust. By the time we left, the place was mobbed so it might be a little tougher if you have to wait for your slice, but it was a fun place to pop into as it's a cute little shop.

• Visited April 2013
San Francisco, California
“Mix it up with the Mission District locals”
Reviewed March 28, 2013

If you're a fan of carefully prepared sweet and savory pies/tarts etc. You'll be right at home in this new Mission fixture, the dining area is living room casual with a children in mind, there is a small table for your kids to play and otherwise occupy themselves while you sip a hot beverage and indulge yourself with some of the best pie in town.

The furnishings are eclectic and include a long, family-style dinning room table that sits at least 15 people. The cafe is located in a restored 19th century building with large windows on two streets (25th and Mission). The food is organic and although Mission Pie is a for profit, they support local organic/sustainable farms and engage in socially responsible hiring practices – you may notice young people gaining valuable training and work experiences behind the counter.

I like to hang out there in the evenings, it's open until 10 or so. On occasion I buy a whole pie and take it to a friend's house or, if I'm feeling indulgent, I bring it home an eat it myself (over a few days)

To get there take BART to 24th Street or call 311 for MUNI directions (from where ever you happen to be in town)

• Visited March 2013
San Francisco, California
“Tasty pie”
Reviewed January 8, 2013

I hit up Mission Pie for an afternoon snack on a rainy day, and I wasn't disappointed. They have a very extensive daily pie selection, both sweet and savory. My companion and I had one slice of apple and one of raspberry pear. I also took home three mini apple cranberry pies, which were a big hit. A bit pricey, but not unreasonable for the quality. Convenient location, right off of BART.

• Visited December 2012