“Great Experience, nice Underground decoration!”
Review of La Trappe Cafe

La Trappe Cafe
Ranked #1,079 of 5,939 Restaurants in San Francisco
Cuisines: Belgian, Cafe
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Neighborhood: Russian Hill
Reviewed July 17, 2012

Great food, always full, this is a repeat restaurant for the daily dinner.

This ItaloAmerican owner knows how to do things, although young, very thoughtful.

Great place to experiment with food and beers...coming back a lot already.

Reviewed July 11, 2012

When you first go in, the place sees empty and you feel like leaving but....go downstairs where the action is and peruse their list of hundreds of brews, have some awesome mussels and fries and get the Belgian waffle for dessert!

1  Thank NKreig
Reviewed June 10, 2012

How do I even begin to explain my love for this place? Continuing with our beer tour, La Treppe was the last on our list for the day. It was the perfect ending to our day.

Now, I am pretty awful with my belgium beers. I know NOTHING. I prefer IPAs or stouts so I was a bit thrown off with the overwhelming list, aka Beer Bible. I left our bartender take the lead which he was more than happy to. If you need help, ask!

I let him know what I usually drink and he started me with the perfect first drink, then a second, third...maybe a fourth? I was feeling pretty tipsy at that point ;)

After many drinks we ordered some food. No complaints there either. Mac and cheese was delicious and the hubby ordered a salmon app.

PROS: Awesome service, sitting at the bar made the experience for us! Good food, prices were good, got served quick. knowledgeable staff. Awesome, cozy bar.

CONS: I was too full for more!! Oh, and it gets busy pretty quick- and full of people who have no clue this isn't a budlight bar.

1  Thank LEAH N
Reviewed May 15, 2012

Met some friend here while on holiday, they are locals.

The beer menu was amazing, food was pretty good too! Our server was excellent at suggesting which beers to try best on what we told him we were after.

Would recommend this bar to anyone heading to San Fran as a great place to visit off the main drag.

Reviewed May 14, 2012

A bit of Belgian in the old Bucca Giovanni location, a great addition to the North Beach area. The selection of beers is astounding, the wait staff very helpful in deciding on what to "try". Many in our group ordered mussels prepared in a variety of ways (not a mussel fan myself but there were many other interesting choices on the menu-I had a lovely trout appetizer that was more than adequate). Their Belgian Fries were served hot and perfectly cooked. Located both above and below street level in the old Bucca Giovanni cavernous setting, you had a feeling of being transported to Europe for a short while. Bring your wallet and/or credit card, it is a bit on the expensive side. Atmosphere is friendly and low key. Surprisingly children friendly,