“Two Thumbs Up!”
Review of Caffe Baonecci

Caffe Baonecci
Reserve with OpenTable
Caffe Baonecci is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #505 of 5,825 Restaurants in San Francisco
Cuisines: Italian, Pizza
Dining options: Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Neighborhood: North Beach / Telegraph Hill
Cross street: Grant Street
Description: Taste some of the most typical dishes from Lucca that you can only find in Italian houses. Our pizza has become extremely popular in the past five years for its uniqueness, with a style so diverse from other pizzas around the city that you simply must try it if you consider yourself a pizza connoisseur. If you are looking for an authentic culinary Italian experience, you found just the right place. Baonecci offers you delicious and traditional entrees from a Tuscan menu and thin-cracker, mouth-watering pizzas, each one hand rolled for you by Mamma Stefania. Baonecci offers handmade pastas made fresh everyday topped with Stefania's amazing sauces. Everything is made from scratch here. You'll be amazed by the freshness and quality of each plate and you'll be comforted by the friendly Gambaccini family who will make your experience even more "Italiana"!! We know... Our fare is not inexpensive, due to high quality ingredients used for each dish, plus for the love of an Italian woman that puts her heart in every dish that she cooks for you.. As we say in Italian " non si puo avere la botte piena e la moglie ubriaca" "you can't have both a full caraffe of wine and a drunken wife" Buon Appetito!
Reviewed July 22, 2014 via mobile

Definitely the best Italian spot in San Francisco without question. The secret is out!! They certainly live up to their promise: the food is comparable and in my opinion better than several spots that I've visited in Italy! To be brief the lasagna is to die for, and the pizza is tremendous! The recipes were done to beyond perfection! The service was also excellent with a superb effort from the family running the restaurant. Every table was full from the time we walked in yet we didn't have to wait long for our food! All in all I would highly recommend to all, and I hope to be back in the future!

Reviewed July 13, 2014 via mobile

Fantastic crispy thin crust pizza. They got our order a little wrong, but the pizza was so good we did not mind. Friendly, but not great, service. We never saw our waiter after he delivered the pizzas; we would have ordered more wine given the chance. I would go back.

Reviewed July 9, 2014

BaoNecci is a small, Tuscan-themed corner restaurant famous for its authentic Lucchese-style thin-crust pizzas. Pizzas (12 inch) and other entrees average $20 each. Beer and wine are served and there are two outside sidewalk tables. It's in the heart of the city's beloved North Beach Italian-American district.

Finally calling up my dog-eared bookmark after two years, we had a chance to try out BaoNecci's renowned pizzas. While it's a charming restaurant with excellent service, we found the food to be...well, bland, and a bit overpriced.

Our waiter was friendly and helpful, letting us know what items are crowd favorites, as well as what wines to try. The service was consistent throughout our meal, letting us focus on our food and surroundings.

Starting with a $14 tomato and burrata salad, I felt myself jonesin' for summer California heirloom tomatoes. Yes, the dish was authentically Italian - but I just wanted more pronounced tomato flavor to balance the creaminess of the burrata.

Similarly, the recommended $19 Diavala (Spicy san marzano tomato, garlic, Italian parsley), had a nice crust but lacked an intensity of flavor. It arrived warm, not hot, which probably didn't help. Maybe we should have asked for pepper flakes! Not wanting to offend, we figured it wasn't part of the flavor experience.

The $18 pasta al pesto, housemade noodles and sauce, was good, but nothing we couldn't have whipped up at home. And, pricey at $18 solo.

So many others rave about this restaurant and I hate to be the one saying it's "A-OK but not great." But that's what y'all pay me for, right?

At a Glance:
Food: 3 - Mild flavors...too delicate for me!
Service: 4 - Italian accent, of course!
Setting: 4 - Walk to all of North Beach in minutes, corner location.
Value: 3 - Appy, entree, dessert & glass wine =$50pp - I'd like a bit more for the money!
Date worthy: 3 - It's cozy and romantic; afterwards you can walk to Coit Tower.
Dogs: Leave 'em home, it's a date!!

Reviewed May 27, 2014

We found this place by sheer good luck. This family-run restaurant featured thin crust pizzas with amazing combinations. There were about 15 choices of pizza combinations. Also on the menu were delicious baked pasta. I had the lasagna in which you could taste the smoothness of the bechemal sauce. Even the salad was great. Fresh romaine, pears, walnuts tossed in an olive oil and vinegar dressing. Not too forget the basket of fresh bread!

Reviewed February 27, 2014

Last Monday, February 24th I had dinner in Café Baonecci with my son. We both loved the food and ambiance of this tiny cozy restaurant.