“Reasonable room, ok location...” 3 of 5 stars

Red Coach Motor Lodge
700 Eddy Street, San Francisco, CA CA 94109   |
Ranked #108 of 233 Hotels in San Francisco
Winchester, United Kingdom
“Reasonable room, ok location...”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 30, 2014

The hotel is not in the best part of town, there are quite a few homeless and crazies about in the area, but the really helpful lady behind the reception gave us a few area to avoid and which roads to take best to get to Union Square. It's also close to Van Ness so you get get around the city quite fast (if the lights are with you!).

I felt secure in this hotel, the doors were under watch from the reception and buzzed in on entry.

The rooms were basic, but very clean and confortable. There was an odd smell unfortunately in our room, a bit like second hand/thrift stores. We got used to it.

There is no breakfast at this place so don't get disappointed, probably the best aspect of this hotel is the central location and free parking, which can be up to $50 for some of the bigger hotels!

The wifi was intermittent on the second floor, but still, it's worth the elevated height away from the road which can be noisy.

Also, as a novelty value, you get and old style key (reminds me of an Alcatraz key) so it's not the most modern hotel.

I'm not saying i wouldn't stay here again, I would just check out some other places first.

Room Tip: Top floor rooms are the way forward!
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled with friends

Paris, France
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 1, 2014

I stayed 4 nights and it was a pleasure. First of all staff member was really nice. She gave me a lot of very useful information about the city and she was really helpful during all my stay. Rooms are very large, clean and comfortable. We booked a room here because the parking was free (very rare in San Francisco) and it's quite well located (not so far from Union Square).

• Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
2 Thank ThomasFNLO
Ludhiana, India
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 8, 2013

I stayed in this hotel for 4 nights in mid November. I have seen people raise there eyebrows when they learn this hotel is situated in Tenderloin area (which is considered a bit shady area). I too was reluctant to stay there but post my stay I experienced that it was not that badly located. Means this hotel on eddy street which is very near to Van Ness road (Just a block away). So when we walk out the hotel just go toward van ness street, immediately you are out of tenderloin.

The bus stop is just around the corner on Van ness. Yes you see homeless people around but just for a minute while you are walking towards Van ness, that's all. I walked alone at 9 pm to the hotel, no issues. Just walk like a resident not visitor.

The rooms were very clean and tidy. Bed comfortable and wifi excellent. Wifi was excellent on first floor (there are no rooms on ground floor). Free Car parking, which is very safe and secured. Hotel staff was cooperative. Jane and her sister were very helpful and polite, had good knowledge about the city tours and provided decent advise.

KFC is located opposite the hotel. Union square is walking distance and you can find many nice restaurants and eating places nearby. I loved Chipotle Mexican Grill food chain, I think it was on 232 O'farrell st. You can get a delicious and healthy meal in $8 (burrito). I would recommend this hotel if you are not biased with Tenderloin area. Its a real value for money deal and absolutely safe hotel to stay.

Room Tip: All room are good.
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled solo
4 Thank Arayman22
Los Angeles, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 9, 2013

I have just come back from a pleasant stay at the Red Coach. We had driven up from LA for a Raiders game and wanted to spend a few nights in San Fran before game day. For what you pay, the Red Coach is a great hotel, especially considering parking is included (we made the same trip last year and ended up paying a fortune for parking at another hotel). The ladies at the front desk were lovely and the room was pretty spacious, and clean and tidy. It is true that the neighborhood is a little sketchy, but if we didn't want to walk through the heart of the neighborhood we walked up/down Van Ness, which seems perfectly safe and got us to the same group of bars and restaurants in the Tenderloin. We stayed in a room on the second floor, and to get to the elevator to get there, you have to press a buzzer and the person at reception has to see you through the intercom before they let you in, so it has secure entry. The cleaning ladies were a little over zealous and entered our room immediately after knocking one morning..so be warned! But it really wasn't a big deal.
I would definitely recommend this hotel to someone looking for a reasonably priced hotel with parking. Possibly with the exception of recommending it to a single female if you are going to be walking around the hotel.
Overall it was a very good stay!

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Monterey, CA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 30, 2013

First, we read the good reviews here, and found this to be the best rate $109 with FREE parking downtown SF in this price range. (Sketchy neighborhood, however.) Our room was very clean, large, with a comfortable bed. A little worn around the edges, but clean and well-maintained. Then I left behind a prized possession. Jane, at the front desk, and the housekeeper did find it (honest staff), but I ended up saying "too much hassle, forget it." Imagine my surprise a week or so later when it arrived well-packaged in my mail! When I called to thank her, Jane refused reimbursement. What a great gal! (I sent her something anyway, so we were both pleasantly surprised.)

• Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
5 Thank carolMonterey_CA
Glasgow
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 19, 2013 via mobile

Ok, I said to myself that I would be positive about this hotel, and I will try to hold that thought. Positives first then. The staff member when arriving was very friendly and welcoming. She appeared knowledgeable about SF and could answer any questions we had, providing maps, tips and opinions.

The room itself, well, the whole place was a little dated, but well kept and very clean. Decent sized bed, made every day with clean towels toiletries replenished. Good shower and wc area. No tea or coffee facilities though, which would have been good. Shop across the street sold decent morning coffee though. Free Wi-Fi too, which dropped occasionally, but generally worked fine.

Ok. The reasons for the three rating. Throughout the night, the street noise is horrendous. People arguing and fighting, traffic constantly moving and deliveries throughout. I was woken each of the three nights by the same man and woman having the same verbal exchange. I was near the point of actually going out and shouting to shut up, but thought better of it. This decision was further informed by the fact this hotel is in tenderloin. Not pretty. Now this has nothing to do with the hotel, as it is simply unfortunate. I didn't feel unsafe, it just gives that impression. Unfortunately, methamphetamine has played a huge role in destroying the lives of a lot of people in this area, and it shows. No one seems threatening, but it simply feels a bit off-putting.

I should say that if this upsets, then you really can work around it as the hotel is placed very handily for buses & cable cars along Geary, Van Ness and O' Farrell. Union Square is absolutely walkable and we also walked to Mission from the Red Coach.

Anyway, I digress. To recap, yes, I would recommend the hotel, based on all the good points, but I would make any traveller aware of its geography. Good work from the hotel staff & owners, I wouldn't want them to lose business because of their seemingly powerless situation.

Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank ElCartoharvetta
Enschede, The Netherlands
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 12, 2013 via mobile

We enjoyed our 2 nights here. San Francisco is an amazing city! We almost fell in love with it! Staff is very helpfull and friendly they even drew us a 2 day itinerary! Rooms are good enough, iTS basic and there is no fridge, coffee maker or microwave. But beds are comfortable, there is cable tv and wifi in the room.

It can be a bit noisy at night and the area is not the best in SF. I think enough has been said about the Tenderloin district. We walked twice from the hotel to the city center via the Van Ness avenue. If you like walking its Perfectly safe! The parking lot seems small but they also have space underground. Would definately stay here again!

Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple