“Great place on a budget” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Red Coach Motor Lodge

Red Coach Motor Lodge
Ranked #132 of 227 Hotels in San Francisco
Newcastle-under-Lyme, United Kingdom
“Great place on a budget”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 24, 2013

The rooms were basic and perhaps a little worn but certainly nothing to complain about. As other reviewers have said the surrounding area is not Union Square but hey we experienced no trouble at all. In fact we felt it gave our children a more worldly view of things. Indeed the best restaurant we ate in in San Francisco (Pagolac) was in the same area and again no trouble. The staff we met could not have been more helpful with directions, advice and gave us a yummy bag of chocolates on the last day. And when we left the hotel and realised we had left our passports in their safe gave our children lollipops to make up for the extra travelling we had had to do to go back for them!

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank scfc66

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (19)
Noosa, Australia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 5, 2012

We stayed at the Red Coach for 2 nights in November 2012.

This is not a particularly glamorous base for your time in San Francisco, but it is cheap, clean and the service is good.

Rooms are basic, but were large enough for us with two small children (2 queen beds). The bathroom was probably last renovated in the late 80's, I would guess, but everything works and it did the job.

There are no extras such as coffee or breakfast, but wifi was both free and fast.

The neighbourhood around the hotel is less than impressive, so if you like an evening stroll before bed you may want to look at other options, or walk with a large friend.

Overall, this is a good cheap option in San Francisco and does exactly what it says on the packet.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Ian_Pratt
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 27, 2012

The hotel was very clean and nice. The maids did a great job keeping it clean.
Upon arrival a lady named Jane greeted me and gave me some tourist information and to to get around town with public transportation on a map.
I stayed for 6 days. My room was large clean , had a flat screen wall mounted Samsung tv.. Decent size. A little table , dresser closet, plenty of wall outlets for plug-in . large mirror also. bed was king size. lamps were nice , but still covered in plastic??The bathroom was nice , it had mirrors so you could see your backside, as well as watch tv in the mirror from the toilet.(lol)
I usually stay fairly neat, and need little service from the maids. My biggest problem and one of the reasons they lose a star is because I placed the do not disturb sign up, and the maids still came in and cleaned. They did this 3 or 4 days in a row. If I pay for a room and place a sign up that says do not disturb, I expect them to respect it. The maid was Asian and spoke almost no English, so I assume she couldn't read the sign either. Right across the street is Brenda's soul food . There is never any wait for one person even if there is an hour wait. I brought two different friends by, and since the door locks to the elevator and she buzzes you in after she identifies you, she needs an I'd from any visitor's . This is a little bit of a hassle, and she reserves the right to refuse a guest from entrance. Although she didn't with me, she could possibly not like your guest and deny them entrance. I asked if they had hot water, an
D they gave me a hot water pot and plug leith 5 green tea bags... Nice. There isn't any coffee , fridge, microwave or continental breakfast, but it was only 90$ a night for me and with nothing else available that was decent for less than 200$ last minute it worked fine. The manger Jane was very nice, but she must live there with her dog, because every time I go in and out the hotel there she is standing out front, like she is guarding the hotel. I felt like I was renting a room from a nosy landlord kind of, she was nice and the place was too, it was just a feeling I had. There was free wifi, which was fairly quick, but it automatically bumps you off like every 20 minutes and then you have to log back in all over. It was a little annoying. The bathroom also was very ready to have the floors ripped out and replaced with tile( they were linoleum.) albeit was kept clean.
Upon leaving I was running late for the train back to the airport. I asked the manager Jane when I was checking out if I could take a cab to the train would be better than walking 5 blocks. she calls a cab she knows, and she says yea it is too close. And starts to kind of lecture me that I should have left earlier( obviously I'm know ) I'm running late and need to pay and leave, but she is lecturing me still. Finally I asked if I could pay and leave. She took my credit card and gave me a bag of ghiriadelli chocolates upon check out.
I would stay again, but I will probably check others first

Room Tip: 124 I stayed in was ok higher up would be nice
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank mclovin5029
Chicago, Illinois
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 13, 2012

Stayed there for 5 days and was good money for value.
Excellent and friendly staff, rooms are simple but very clean including the bathroom, there is free parking and wifi and is in the city a few blocks from union square.
Felt safe in the room despite there is a lot of homeless people around. Also the staff recommend us "no go"areas.
They are improving some rooms so in my stay was a little noisy between 9h and 16h during but in a few weeks it will be done.
The only things I missed were you have to login every 30 minutes on internet and a frigobar.
If you want to stay in the city and have a car this is the best deal to stay.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank cristina m
Wisbech, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 17, 2012

The hotel staff were very good and friendly. On my arrival I was offered me a very warm welcome. They were eager to give advice on the city and the various tourist sites, more importantly the “no go” areas. They even went on to offer some money saving tips and some good restaurants.

For the price the room was clean and comfortable and had everything you would need, the flat screen TV was an added bonus. There was a little noise from the road, but you have to remember you are in the middle of a busy city. I felt safe in the hotel knowing that CCTV was scanning all the key access points and the guest entry into the lift.

Another nice touch on departure was to be given some chocolate for the journey ahead. I would certainly stay here again and would recommend it to other travelers.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
Graz, Austria
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 16, 2012

Large room - but strange smelling
Travel guides do not recomment to walk this neighborhood after dark.
We had a corner room - wifi didn't work well, very noisy, you hear screaming, sirens and othe noises the whole night
Lady at front desk vey nice
Parking lot in front was nice

Room Tip: Corner rooms are very noisy
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank feldba

Travelers are raving about these San Francisco hotels

Napier, New Zealand
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 5, 2012

We were a group of two couples who stayed at the Red Coach for five days in August 2012. We had a great stay, very friendly staff, the lady on the front desk is fabulous and very informative answering any questions we had. Yes Eddy and Polk streets have a lot of homeless people around but that did not detract from our stay. Loved San Francisco and all it had to offer. Yes we would stay at the Red Coach Motor Lodge again.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends