“love these city guides”

Type: City Tours, Tours
More attraction details
Fee: No
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: City Guides are local volunteers who love the city, lore and legends and they will share it all with you--for free. There is a large selection of tours available all over town and lasting 90 minutes to 2 hours.
Reviewed August 19, 2013

No matter what city you are in - take the time and do these I've done a few so far, in the USA, South America etc and just love the passion these volunteers bring in giving you the run down of their city. Thanks to Harlan today for the great walk on the earthquake of 1906 - I learned so much and had a chuckle too.

Reviewed August 17, 2013

I stumbled across the cityguides website while researching things to do in San Francisco. These were free tours given by local volunteers with such a varied schedule that I knew I'd be able to fit one into my week in SF. I decided to do a noon tour of the Ferry Building on one of my first days. The guide was extremely friendly and very informative. The walking tour didn't include much walking, but offered lots of information during the one hour activity! It was very enjoyable.
Having enjoyed this tour so much, I heard that others on the tour were going straight to a nearby tour starting in only 15 mins. It was a tour of Market Street. On the spur of the moment, I decided to tag along. This one was much more energetic with lots of running around from building to building and lots of insights.
Finally on my last day in San Francisco, I went back to City Guides to do the Chinatown tour. This took about two hours and was so popular that there were two guides ready for us and the group split in two. This made a huge difference, keeping the number of tourists per group down. Once again this was an informative, insightful tour from an excellent, entertaining tour guide.

2  Thank Katily
Reviewed August 11, 2013

Our GF weekend was planned for San Francisco and wanted to do fun thing. We are all Humboldt County raised and love the City. We did the Cityguide tour of Ferry Building. Our tour guide, Chuck was amazing and full of wonderful information about San Francisco history pertaining to the beautiful Ferry Building. The details were from the pylons to the finish, the earthquake and to present! An amazing day from weather to our handsome guide!!! Thank you Chuck!

Reviewed August 4, 2013

It was an amazing 2 hour tour of The Haight Ashbury district of San Francisco. Our guide who was born and raised in San Francisco told us of the general history of San Francisco and then went on to walk us through the neighborhood explaining everything. We looked at the different victorian homes, talked about Golden Gate Park, why the hippies came to Haight Ashbury, and saw the house where the Grateful Dead lived. All this was basically free except for a voluntary small donation at the end which is used to support city guides and their infrastructure, the guides are all volunteers. What a great experience and what an incredible organization, if you have a couple of hours in SF and are wondering what to do, google www.sfcityguides.org and look at their schedule!

1  Thank CATravelingfamily
Reviewed August 2, 2013

This is an amazing organization - kudos to San Francisco for creating this! Volunteer guides (who are much better than any volunteer guides I've experienced elsewhere and include many working professionals) demonstrate their love for the city and its neighborhoods by taking groups on free tours - they make NO money and all of the donations (which they don't guilt anyone into making) go to the organization. The tours are approximately two hours long - they tell you the length right at the beginning - and involve varied amounts of walking. Some tours are really just a couple of blocks and others involve much more walking. My favorite was the Castro tour led by a UC-Berkeley Film Studies professor, but I took four walking tours and they were all excellent. I learned more about the city than my relatives who lived there knew. When I convinced them to come with me on a Mission Dolores tour, they were also impressed. Tip: Use the website or call to get up-to-date information. I missed one tour and called and the person answering actually guided me to an alternate tour starting one hour later that wasn't on the printed schedule. Thank you, SF City Guides!

3  Thank DelhiExpat1