San Francisco City Guides
Great tour of Chinatown

Reviewed 2 days ago
Ellen_and_Pedro
Antwerp, Belgium
Great walk through Billionaire’s Row!

Reviewed 5 days ago
Trip56362199504
via mobile

All reviews nob hill free walking public library volunteer guides walking tour fairmont hotel city scapes and public places the japanese tea garden run by volunteers alfred hitchcock gold rush highly recommend these tours tours offered historic market street accept donations silent film two hours
Reviewed 2 days ago

I had walked Grant Street but wanted to know more about Chinatown so I joined a SF city guides walking tour. The meeting point was easy to find and the guides were there at least 20 minutes before the tour started.
The guide Kristle was knowledgeable, interesting and funny. She highlighted things I normally wouldn't even notice and I feel I truly feel that I understand better now how Chinatown came to exist and how life is there today.
Next time I'm in SF i'll definitely do more walking tours!
Highly recommended.

Reviewed 5 days ago via mobile

We recently moved to San Francisco and met up with friends to do a city guide walking tour. The tour down Broadway was fantastic! Interesting history and great views. Bethel was a really nice guide and knew a lot about the area. Highly recommend these free city guide tours!!

Reviewed 1 week ago

We stumbled across the SF City Guides tours when looking for something to do on our one day in San Francisco. The tour offered that day was of City Hall and the surrounding area. Our guide, Ethel, was very knowledgeable and told us a lot of history, going back to the 49'ers who first settled the city and the 1906 and 1989 earthquakes.

The City Hall is a very beautiful building and is a very popular place for people to take wedding pictures. If you like to see brides, this is the place for you.

After the tour, we had a very nice chat with Ethel and she was kind enough to walk a couple of blocks with us and show us the way back to Chinatown.

We had walked to City Hall from Fisherman's Wharf. It took about 1 1/4 hours but wasn't too hilly.

All of the tours offered by SF City Guides are by donation only. I would highly recommend them and hope to do a different one the next time we are in the city.

Reviewed 4 weeks ago

As a Bay Area resident for 40+ years, I have greatly enjoyed all the City Guides tours I have taken. Last week's tour with Rory O'Connor was a fast paced tour on the subject of the era of silent film and San Francisco, and Rory had us all enthralled as we walked through Chinatown and Union Square and imagined ourselves back in the early 1900's in San Francisco. I have also enjoyed their tour in the Japanese Tea Garden and a Victorian tour, when everyone in the tour had the opportunity to also go inside one of the grand Victorian homes. SF City Guides is a great organization staffed by very dedicated volunteer guides. Not to be missed!

Reviewed October 11, 2018

Interesting tour of the area, you have a knowledgeable guide in Bethel. She gave us a great history, loaded with facts.

Reviewed October 7, 2018 via mobile

I took a friend visiting from the East Coast to this tour after finding it on SF Fun Cheap's website. Both of us love Hitchcock films, and we enjoyed this tour so much! Rory O'Connor was our guide today, and he was very knowledgeable about Hitchcock films and SF architecture. He did the tour in a way that one could still follow along even if they hadn't seen Vertigo (though the tour has a lot of references to that film, so it's definitely more fun if you are able to understand those references). I highly recommend this tour, and plan to come back for it again in the future! Thanks again!

Reviewed September 23, 2018

Whilst visiting my son Craig and his husband Brett in the beautiful city of San Francisco, we were recommended by Craig to take the free walking tour of Nob Hill. We were very glad that we did. Saundra Keyes was our guide and she was fantastic. It was not only her knowledge but her obvision passion for the city and its architecture that made the tour so enjoyable. We learnt many things about the beautiful buildings that we wouldn’t have if we hadn’t done it. Saundra had a great sense of humour and gave us many recommendations of restaurants and places to visit. One of these was the Tonga bar in the Fairmont Hotel. It was amazing and well worth a visit. Thank you Saundra for a fantastic tour and for your lovely show of emotion whilst visiting Grace Cathedral. Donald and Catherine,ScotlandX

Reviewed August 26, 2018

Despite living in the area, we loved this tour, learned a ton, and had some good laughs along the way. Our guide, Johnny, took us from site to site with just the right amount of historical info, and fielded our questions with humor and great insights. We particularly appreciated the "visual aids" of old park pictures, the stories of big SF personalities who influenced the park, and the thoughtful and contemplative visit to the AIDS Memorial Grove. The Shakespeare park was also lovely, and is a hidden gem that we were glad to hear more about.

We'll be back with friends and family who visit the area, and would highly recommend the tour!

2  Thank AgentMowgli
Reviewed August 24, 2018

There seems to be a lot of competition for walking tours of San Francisco, but SF City Guides to be the very best way to go. Experienced guides have been working in this all volunteer organization for

Reviewed August 12, 2018 via mobile

We completed the Golden Gate Bridge walk with David as our guide today. It was an amazing morning and David was very passionate about sharing the engineering and history behind the bridge. We learnt a lot and can really recommend this friendly tour to learn more about the area.

2  Thank nicoleherholdt