“The best!”

Type: City Tours, Tours
More attraction details
Fee: No
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: City Guides are local volunteers who love the city, lore and legends and they will share it all with you--for free. There is a large selection of tours available all over town and lasting 90 minutes to 2 hours.
Kailua, Hawaii
23 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 71 helpful votes
“The best!”
Reviewed January 14, 2013

We got very lucky when we found this web site by chance! Did a FREE walking tour with Susan Keyes on Historical Nob Hill. It was fabulous! Not only does she know her facts and we learned a ton but we met other people visiting the city from around the world! Cannot wait to come back to SF and do another tour! Highly recommended!

Visited January 2013

Santa Monica
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“A wonderful tour of the Golden Gate Bridge”
Reviewed December 25, 2012

We showed up for this tour on the day before Christmas, in pouring rain, fearing that the guide wouldn't show. Well, sure enough, she did. Linda Cahill was actually called that morning by the assigned guide who had an unexpected emergency and gave us the most detailed, fascinating history of the bridge one could imagine. Complete with personal anecdotes and pictures of historical images related to the bridge, we couldn't help but think: "and they do this for free?" Then, without hesitation, she escorted us along the bridge in 30 plus mph winds--and did I mention pouring rain?---as cheerful as she could be. After the tour, when she learned we came by bus, she offered to drive us back to our motel, and her husband (who waited for her in the parking lot the whole time) delivered us back all dry, content and grateful. We gladly gave a donation and look forward to another SF tour in the future.

2 Thank JerSantaMonica
New York City, New York
7 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 10 helpful votes
“San Francisco Public Library sponsored city tours”
Reviewed December 11, 2012

We actually began taking walking tours thanks to you trip advisory and those who recommended them. We have taking walking tours in chile, Paris, Buenos Aires, New Orleans and San Francisco. We have done 3 tours in Frisco and we have been very impressed by the knowledge of the volunteers and we have been educated in understanding the city. I was even more surprised that they are actually backed by the San Francisco Public Library. We have done the Castro, Fisherman's Warf and the Gold Rush. Please do give them a try www.sfcityguides.org. The fee for the tours is absolutely voluntary you will not be dissapointed on the website you can see the schedule of the different tours they offer.

2 Thank Rosa M
Orland, California
24 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 27 helpful votes
“Best way to see the city.”
Reviewed December 10, 2012

A great variety of tours. We have taken some tours several times (different guides) and have always learned something knew. Very knowledgable guides. There is a donation envelope at the end so put a little money aside.

1 Thank Carol32832
Boston, Massachusetts
76 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 98 helpful votes
“Excellent City Tours”
Reviewed December 8, 2012

So glad I found out about this on tripadvisor prior to my weekend trek to San Francisco! I had a couple hours by myself since my travel mate was busy working and decided to join the China Town tour. If I had more time I would definitely do more of the tours. I met the guide inside Portsmouth Square Park where the tour began. There was about 20 people and they split the group in two. Don't quite recall the name of our guide, lovely older lady; very informative and one can tell she loves the City. I enjoyed exploring the alleys of China Town, the produce market, fortune cookie factory, herb store where we saw a staff using the abacus. I'll never forget seeing a man buying 1/2 dozen live frogs for dinner or fish hanging from people's windows beside their laundry! Such a fun, educational experience. I showed my gratitude by tipping at the end, these folks really do a wonderful job. After the tour I was able to circle back to some of the spots visited for shopping-dim sum and fruits.

Visited November 2012