“Great dim sum if you know what you're doing.”

Good Mong Kok Bakery
Ranked #431 of 5,666 Restaurants in San Francisco
Cuisines: Chinese, Fast Food, Asian
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Takeout
Neighborhood: Chinatown
Description: Dim sum and bakery goods
Phoenix, Arizona, United States
“Great dim sum if you know what you're doing.”
Reviewed January 17, 2014 via mobile

Awesome food that is inexpensive but if you hold up the line they'll give you a dirty look. If this place put up English signs or instructions on how to order the line would be even longer. We ordered 1/2 poundnof noodles, pork buns, shrimp dumplings, and a rice bun. Everything was delicious and fresh and only 8 bucks!!

• Visited December 2013

richmond, california
“Look for the long line ...”
Reviewed September 3, 2013

there's always a line at this popular Chinese Dim Sum/Bakery on Stockton St. in SF Chinatown. my favorite here is the steamed vegetable/meat bun. while you're waiting in line - check out the selection and have an idea of what you will order - they like to keep things moving at the counter.

Visited October 2012
“Cheap, excellent Dim Sum”
Reviewed July 26, 2013

I really like Dim Sum so I may be swayed a bit here ... a friend of mine who lived in Chinatown or adjacent to it until about a year ago recommended this place.

There was a line of locals out the door when I got there. Really cheap ... I ordered a large bag of Dim Sum and it came out to $7, incredible price particularly because the quality and tastiness of the Dim Sum was so nice.

Warning this is take out only ... no seating!

1 Thank METRUN360
San Diego, California
“Cheap and tasty dim sum with cheap customer service, serve WITHOUT a smile.”
Reviewed July 25, 2013

first time here shock me!!!, be prepare to push and shove, and maybe throw some elbows!!! expect to wait in line. and get ready to order, before it’s your turn else the employee will not wait for you. So if you don’t speak Chinese you have a huge disadvantage, because the employees here do not speak any other language except for CHINESE “mandarin”. Ok, here is my journey on ordering dim sum at “Good Mong Kok Bakery”. Check TA saw that there were a lot of good reviews, so me and my wife decided to try it out. Stood in line trying to decide what to get, there were about 6 items display in the window most were buns. Most of the dim sum item was cover inside large pots, so my wife and I decided to wait patiently till our turn to order. As we were waiting in line I notice several times people were walking into the bakery and order with without standing in line. They look like they were locals and know the people that work there. It did not bother us and we were in unknown territory. Finally it is our turn….yeeeeaahh!!!! My wife and I did not see what we like on the display so we ask in “English” to what was in the pots. The employee gave an angry face look, the lady yell out “no English”. So I decided to use hand gestures and pointing fingers. I was pointing my fingers to open several pots and the pots I didn’t order the lady slam the cover on the pots. We ordered 9 items, don’t know how much each cost. The lady wrote the amount on a piece of paper, I don’t think they have a register to print receipt. To this day I still don’t know how much the each dim sum item cost, but I got a whole a lot of dim sum for $16.00 bucks. With all this dim sum I ask for a bag to carry it out. The lady seems to be angry, she took a plastic bag out and started waving and yelling, in Chinese. I did not understand her but her coworkers seems to be angry at us also. Since I do not speak the Chinese, I was unable to express my JOY!!! and my feelings toward her. So I quickly swoosh the dim sum with my hands and arms, and carry it against my chest. As I quickly walk out of the place, I was unable to throw a middle finger, because my both of my hand and arm was preoccupy with carrying the dim sum, plus I was too hungry to argue.
When I went back home to Chula Vista, I told my Chinese friend about my run in at Mong Kok Bakery in SF, my Chinese friends laugh at me and explain briefly the Chinese culture. I guess in the “Chinese street market vendors” this is how they communication with customers, yelling and speaking in very loud tone. So if you are speaking softly in normal voice tone when ordering, it’s like you are disrespecting the other person you are taking to.
In summary this is a good lesson, I have learn. When shopping in Chinatown you “the customers” have to be aggressive, push, shove, and throw some elbows if you have to. Mong Kok Bakery have very delicious and huge dim sum. So I giving Mong Kok Bakery a two star for their cheap tasty dim sum and zero star for their customer service because they did not have any.
Tips:
Have someone that speak Chinese go to the bakery for you, because none of the workers there speak English.
Bring your own bag or box to carry the dim sum.
They take “CASH ONLY”.
Do not bring your kids or pets, they might get trample on.

Los Angeles, California
“Delicious and Cheap Dim-Sum”
Reviewed July 11, 2013

We tried their dim-sum dumplings, steamed pork buns (cha siu bao) and sesame balls. All were really good.

The pork buns were huge; there was not a whole lot of pork meat but it was lean and tender.

The sesame balls were the best ones I've had. They were the kind filled with red bean paste. They were perfectly fried.

The dumplings were really good too. We only had the shrimp ones.

My boyfriend also took one or two steamed meatballs (beef) and said they were not amazing.

We left with food for two people for less than $6.

Make sure you go early in the day.