“Fun and good food.”
Review of Cafe De La Presse

Cafe De La Presse
Reserve with OpenTable
Cafe De La Presse is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #188 of 5,801 Restaurants in San Francisco
Cuisines: French, Cafe
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations, Takeout
Dining style: Casual Dining
Neighborhood: Union Square
Cross street: Bush St.
Description: For centuries, cafes the world over have provided patrons with entertainment that draws on all walks of life. In these gathering places of art, politics, fashion, and everyday events, cafe-goers partake in a unique convergence of eclectic culture and traditional cuisine. Parisian-inspired Cafe de la Presse continues the trend with international literature, classic fare, and the age-old pastime of dining, relaxing, and conversing in a vibrant atmosphere.
Reviewed May 5, 2013

We had a nice breakfast here twice, maybe three times, and lunch once, during our stay. We chose it because it was close to our hotel. We returned because we loved the atmosphere.

Reviewed May 2, 2013

I had breakfast here on two occasions during my recent stay in San Francisco. The service is excellent and the food is also very good. On the first occasion I opted for the Croissant with scrambled egg and sausage. This was delicious and so were the side potatoes. I had a tea which was good, although they dont serve English Breakfast tea. The espresso on the other hand was nothing to write home about.
The second time I had the ham and cheese omlette which was huge but very good.
A truly cosy cafe with a lovely ambiance.

Reviewed April 28, 2013

I ordered the French toast today at this ersatz "French" café and asked, "Was it possible to get real maple syrup?"

The answer, delivered in a haughty tone, was "We _only_ serve real maple syrup."

"Oh good," I thought, "These guys are serious about quality."

Imagine my surprise, then, when I tasted the obviously fake maple syrup that arrived with my dish. I commented to the waiter that it did not taste like maple syrup, and the waiter responded, "I didn't actually see it come out of the tree."

He didn't see it come out of the tree! Well, I suppose not, seeing as how this stuff definitely did not originate from any sort of tree at all. I'd suspect that it probably started out in the cornfields of Iowa, and then spent some serious time in a manufacturing plant.

Staff of Café de la Presse: you are not fooling this Canadian with the fake maple syrup in your "French" cafés.

Other than ripping us off with fake maple syrup and subpar bread, this café did indeed have real coffee, which was a definite plus.

Bottom line: if this "French" restaurant was located in, say, Montreal, a place where people really speak French and care about food quality, it would have been driven out of business long ago.

Reviewed April 26, 2013

French friends introduced me to Cafe de la Presse a few years ago. Recently, I was lucky enough to be in the area, and to have lunch here again. The mussels are just excellent, the house wine is very good and reasonably priced, desserts (if you can) are delicious. And, you may just want to pick up a foreign newspaper or magazine while you're here.

Reviewed April 25, 2013

This is a frenchstyle breakfast restaurant - wait till you get seated place. I got an omelette with ham and cheese that could have feeded a whole army. Had to leave most of it. And fresh fruit that was wonderful. Ordered Cafe au lait but got a big cup of espresso that actually was very good. A bit expensive