“Very impressed!”

Cuisines: American, Contemporary, Cafe
Good for: Dining on a budget, Local cuisine, Kids, Families with children
Dining options: Lunch, Brunch, Breakfast, Seating, Takeout, Waitstaff
Neighborhood: Union Square
Description: The Taylor Street Coffee Shop is a long-standing favorite of San Francisco offering the city fresh, tasty coffee and delicious breakfast food. We love to serve a healthy breakfast with lots of fresh fruit, but also have items such as our breakfast pizza - hash browns under scrambled eggs, bacon, sausage, and more - that we know will satisfy. We keep the atmosphere casual and relaxed, the service friendly and fast, and the food hot and tasty. What more could you ask for?
Freeport, Illinois
“Very impressed!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 3, 2013

I went to this cafe on the basis of reviews on Trip Advisor, and I was not disappointed. I ordered the two-egg breakfast, which came with choice of meat, toast and fruit. The two eggs must have been extra, extra large, because I had a portion of scrambled eggs that looked the eqivalent of three or even four extra large eggs. The bacon was thick, and I asked for extra-crispy, so it was very well done. I found it quite delicious. Toast was two thick, full slices of whole wheat bread, served dry. I liked that a lot. And the fruit that came as part of the breakfast was amazing: cantaloupe and honeydew melon, which I expected, and sliced banana, sliced kiwi, sliced strawberries, blueberries and blackberries! The fruit was ripe and fresh and absolutely excellent, and the portion was large. I ate the all fruit and left a fair amount of everything else. Breakfast and coffee cost just under $14, which is reasonable in downtown San Francisco.
The cafe is small and I was there late morning on a Saturday. There was a busy carry-out business, though I missed the morning rush for seating. I would guess that seating would be scarce early in the day, but this is definitely a great place for breakfast if you don't have to watch the clock.

• Visited April 2013
Tom J, Guest Relations Manager at Taylor Street Coffee Shop, responded to this review, May 6, 2013
NWIL,

We're happy to hear you enjoyed your meal. You are right seating is tight at our place but we try to move things efficiently to keep the lines to a minimum. We do serve large portions so next time we hope you'll bring a big appetite.

• Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Kingston, Canada
“Small in Size but big in quality”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 30, 2013

Every big city seems to have that one old time diner/cafe that survives due to its character and great food. The Taylor Street Coffee Shop seems to be San Francisco's contribution to this class of cafes. We had a twenty minute wait before we sat down for breakfast. It was well worth the wait. Fresh and varied fruit, stuffed croissants, hash browns in a huge patty, and the list goes on. I also recommend the chicken mango sausages, flavourful and not greasy at all. It is a shame that coffee shops like this are so rare because they are a true gem.

• Visited April 2013
Tom J, Guest Relations Manager at Taylor Street Coffee Shop, responded to this review, May 1, 2013
Thank you for the great review, Don. At first we were scared by the title of the review that you thought our servings were small in size but see that your meant our restaurant. Thanks for hanging in there through the wait. We're happy we served you a breakfast you enjoyed.
Montreal, Canada
“Great value downtown San Fran”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 29, 2013 via mobile

This place was recommended by someone at our hotel for a good and quick breakfast. From the outside, it looks like nothing but when you get in and see the plates, you'll definitely want to stay. Most of the plates come with a huge portion of fruits which I miss to often when I travel. The menu is quite standard but everything is fine.
I would recommend it for a fast breakfast and if you want to eat fruits! I would go back!

• Visited April 2013
Tom J, Guest Relations Manager at Taylor Street Coffee Shop, responded to this review, April 30, 2013
Thank you for the nice write up Mr Webb! We do hope you return to try the fruit too.
“Worth the Wait”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 29, 2013

This is a whole in the wall that has great food. I had the Salvicon Scramble which has habanero infused onions as well as bacon and cheese. It was amazing! The only problem I noticed is that the cooks go from touching food to touching order tickets and pens and back to touching food without washing or using gloves.

Critzyj,

We're so glad you loved the food. We take hygiene and food safety very seriously so thank you for pointing this out about the cooks. We'll make sure it doesn't happen moving forward.
Newport, Rhode Island
“They serve breakfast the way you ask for it at a fair price”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 28, 2013

I ate hear for breakfast 3 of my 4 mornings and ordered my sandwich for the airplane going home. It's not a cheap breakfast diner but the food is fresh, prepared as asked and speedy.

Visited April 2013
Tom J, Guest Relations Manager at Taylor Street Coffee Shop, responded to this review, April 29, 2013
Wow ThankxgivingTraveler! We're honored you had 3 of 4 breakfasts with us plus a to go for the plane! We really appreciate your business and are happy to hear your liked our food.