“Salsa and bachata party on Friday”

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
Cafe Cocomo Bar Grill & Night Club
Cuisines: Latin, Cafe
Description: This is the best Salsa dance club in the city. On weekends they have live bands, multiple bars, table service, and a catered kitchen.
Reviewed July 20, 2013

Great venue, friendly staff, and friendly dancers. The live music was so cool too. All levels of dancing going on and it all felt very inclusive. Will go again next time I'm in town.

Reviewed December 21, 2012

We have visited Cocomo several times now. They have seating upstairs ... but most everyone goes to dance. I cannot speak to the food as we have never eaten here.

Reviewed December 9, 2012

My Colombiana wanted to dance, it's Saturday night so I said "Let's see what SF has to offer".
I should have just ordered a pizza, bought some beers and turned up Pandora in the room.
A 20 minute drive (from Lombard & Divisidero) got us to the quasi industrial area. When we arrived, I thought "OK, it's quirky"....And expensive for what it is.
$30 got us in, another $10 plus tip found us holding a beer each. The music was great, to their credit , but with few areas to sit, a filthy in house kitchen, chicken tacos full of cartilage and bathrooms overflowing and unkempt, I was happy to leave.
We thought "this is a club, cabs will be rotating" Wrong. Its so far out of the way that the chances of a cab cruising past are pretty much nil. Call ahead and request one, we waited 45 mins for a taxi as the eclectic crowd dispersed.

1  Thank Hammer997
Reviewed March 17, 2012

There's a new event at Cafe Cocomo on Friday Nights called Taste that features various local restaurant and food truck vendors providing food 'tastings' as well as food for purchase, gourmet cocktails by guest 'mixologists' along with beginning/intermediate salsa and bachata dance lessons, dj and great live bands. They have lots of helpful staff on hand: the regular club staff and security plus more Taste event staff. After five hours of salsa dancing, it was great to have piping hot gourmet tamales right there - and reasonably priced, too!

One of the special drinks last night was a fresh grapefruit mojito, very refreshing, although the coconut mojito they featured for the Taste preview event before Vaentine's day is a definite favorite. They had another drink that night with fresh rose petals, if I remember correctly. The chicken tamale with carrots, zucchini, peas and salsa verde was light and tasty. My friend also sampled potato latke's and said there were lots of other food samples, although we didn't get there until 10 and the free food part of the event started at 7 - although it was raining pretty hard which probably kept some people at home. I heard the previous week was packed and the free tasters probably went faster.

I've only been going to Cafe Cocomo for dancing since Nov. 2011 and have never seen anything that resembles a "restaurant." Maybe its seasonal, or maybe they don't have a restaurant any more, but for latin dancing, live (salsa) music and good, decently priced drinks this is a great place. I read some fairly recent reviews online re: problems with security and violence which shocked me as I've been very impressed by the crowd with regulars with an age range spanning several decades, all seeming to be there to dance. Security seem to be right on top of the occasional non-dancers who've had a few too many drinks. There are security cameras on the street where the parking is which is nice as its an industrial area and other than the club, there's nothing around at night. My understanding is that the isolated problems the club had were during special events by outside non-salsa music promoters.

I would give Taste a five, except that its not a proper restaurant and this is supposed to be a restaurant review. For a salsa club, Cafe Cocomo earns four out of five stars in my book for its nice, big dance floor, good ventilation, having easily accessible water set out for dancers all night, great live bands and dj's, good classes and a great crowd especially on their big salsa nights, Thursday and Saturday. If Taste keeps going, Fridays promise to be a great crowd as well. A little face lift would be nice, but with such a big place, it would be no small undertaking. Its reasonably clean, comfortable, well staffed and they keep the events calendar updated on the website with something going on every night except Tuesdays. I'll be back soon for more dancing and tasty treats!

Reviewed September 12, 2011

They have Salsa music on Thursdays and Saturdays. They offer salsa lessons (and pizza) on certain nights as well. Lots of free street parking in the area.