“Rooms w/o bathrooms are old, dirty, creepy”
Review of Europa Hotel

Europa Hotel
Ranked #48 of 72 San Francisco B&B and Inns
Atlanta, Georgia
“Rooms w/o bathrooms are old, dirty, creepy”
Reviewed September 13, 2013

We booked this place without much research, because it was 6pm on a Saturday and we needed a place that night (fiance and I). We originally booked a bedroom without a bathroom, thinking the shared bathrooms would be fine. My fiance used the bathroom soon after checkin, said it was horrible, and we asked for an upgrade. (I was already hesitant with the room, being that the curtains were falling down, the sheets looked very old, and the closet had graffiti in it). We paid twenty dollars more for an upgrade, and found that room to be renovated with a nice shower, hardwood floors, and newer mattress. The place itself is old and heavily traveled, so there's no getting around that, but the updated room was welcomed after that first one we saw. Pay the extra money for the room with a bathroom!! Also, only 2 bars of soap were provided so ensure you bring your own shampoo, conditioner, etc. The location is AWESOME and surprisingly pretty quiet at night. Price was good for a stay in San Fran

Room Tip: pay for the room with a bathroom! (third floor instead of second - second floor rooms have significa...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank DeltaFlyGirl88

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (22)
Stafford, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 11, 2013

This Hotel / Hostel is really good if you're young.

The location is great, between Columbus Ave and Broadway, near to the Fisherman's wharf (the bus 8x stop in front of the hotel's door and go directly to the Pier 39). It is also close to Union Square and Lombard Street. (Coit tower is about 15 minutes walking)

The girl and the front desk is really nice, she helped me a lot and she was friendly all the time.

The contras are that there are a LOT of stairs, so girls and old people be aware of it, you'll have to carry your luggage like 2 floors. If you have a big bag like me, its going to be a little bit tired and hard to get it upstairs.

The window at the sink wasn't closing
The shared mens bathroom was dirty, with bugs, cockroaches and some other kind of insects.

They didn't clean at all the room (I was 3 nights), I think you have to take the trash out to a room but it was no info about it anywhere.

My room was oriented to Columbus, so I had a lot of noise all the day and night

Its good because its cheap, but if you're expecting a fancy hotel/hostel, this is not your choice

• Stayed September 2013, traveled solo
Harlow, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 28, 2013

Bed bugs had a field day with me and my husband, they are remodelling the building but it needs to be closed down and fumigated and get rid of the mouldy smell the Internet went down a lot plus new mattresses and bedding is needed the tv service was only two channels but there was only one nice thing the location was wonderful

• Stayed August 2013

Travelers are raving about these San Francisco hotels

Reviewed July 29, 2013

A few things we noticed, but certainly not all:

Graffiti in the closet denounces love
Dried urine in the drawer
Pubic hair on the pillow
Holes all over the walls
Very uneven floor
Open wiring presumably for a lamp or smoke alarm
Deep burn marks all over the top of the broken tv
Drug baggie (mostly empty) in the sink drawer

We hope we don't get any skin diseases from this place, and hope you take heed our words: spend more on a better hotel, for your own health is worth it. Don't make the mistake that we did!

• Stayed July 2013
5 Thank hydrogen_hypothesis
Reviewed July 1, 2013

Hotel is close to the centre and within walking distance to Fishermans Wharf. However, the hotel is dirty and smelly, I have been travelling for 6 months and I have stayed in some pretty dirty places but this is by far the worst. The sheets are dirty and covered in stains, the floor is filthy and the room smells of stale smoke. There are some odd people hanging around the place and at times I did not feel safe. I would not stay here again and would never recommend it.

• Stayed July 2013
4 Thank Amysarah8183
Reviewed June 30, 2013

Do not stay here!! I wanted somewhere cheap- online it didn't look too bad however I felt unsafe the minute I checked in-its a horrific, terrible and disgusting place. My room smelt like faeces and urine, there were cigarette buts everywhere, stains on the sheets, it was filthy. I could hear men coughing, snorting and other horrible noises through the walls. I was so scared to leave my room with the men that were hanging around. I didnt sleep at all and booked another hotel at 3 in the morning and left after having my door knocked on by men during the night-I would not want my worst enemy to stay here. I can't remember the last time I felt so scared and unsafe.

• Stayed June 2013
3 Thank AlwaystiredEmma
Mulhouse
Reviewed June 26, 2013 via mobile

Because we are travelling on budget we already stayed in many many cheap and dirty places. But this is one of the most awful places we ever stayed.
We booked Europa for 3 nights because it was the cheapest place we could find for 60$ per night, thought SF is a nice but VERY expensive place.
We were luky and had a room on 2nd floor. We didnt see any bed bugs, mices, roaches etc. And the shared bathroom was ok and cleaned at least daily. (exept some [--] on the wall).
They room was just DIRTY and run down.
Wifi worked only a few hours per day.
There are a lot of long term resistens, some of them are very strange and drug addicted.
The hotel is located in the red light district (strip clubs). But not that bad if you have already seen "real" red light districts.
China town is just a stone throw away.
Staff was not very nice but not rude at all.
Better spend a few bucks more and stay somewhere else. The risk of bed bugs is just too high.

Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple