“OMG!!!!!! MOUSES!!!! Smell!!! Stop ! Don't book!!!!! Stay away!!!!”
Review of Europa Hotel

Europa Hotel
Ranked #50 of 72 San Francisco B&B and Inns
Reviewed October 28, 2012

Omg people stay away!!!!! People I am in shock !!!! It's l place for homelesses!!!!! I was so tiered first night to move away. Mouses are moving all night in room . Moises was eating my stuff. Smell of toilet in the rooms. Dirty dirty rooms!!! Restrooms full of pupu and it was 2 days without cleaning!!!! At night not able to sleep on first floor club , music so loud you can hear it like it next door.... Only location good, but it not worth it at all!!!!! If you want to RUIN your vocation take this hotel!!! I spend 2 perfect days in SF but this hotel give me very bed feeling!!!!! All bed review true!!!!!!!!!

Room Tip: Noooooooo stay away!!!!!!
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled with friends
2  Thank valka69

Reviewed October 14, 2012

I have been to many terrible hotels in Asia and Middle East but this one is far THE WORSE HOTEL I have ever been to!
We have arrived to SF late at night so we just took the first hotel in our favorite area between Chinatown and Little Italy. After this experience I am never gonna do this mistake again!
This hotel and the room look like the worse drug dump you can imagine. Horrible smell, bedbugs, cockroaches, huge blood stain all over one of the mattresses - seriously someone had to kill one of the ladies from surrounding stripbars there and they havent even took the trouble to clean it!
We ended up running from this "hotel" as fas as we could at 2 am.
In general terms STAY AWAY FROM THIS PLACE AS FAR AS YOU CAN!

Room Tip: Dont you dare stay in this hotel!
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 20, 2012

Other reviews have said it all. I'll just add to the 1-star ratings and descriptions because this place deserves it.

09/14/2012, 4 nights.

Bedbugs, lots of them. A broken window that just came right off the hinges and had to be placed on the floor, as I wanted to have the window open to get rid of the smell of mold. Mold that could be clearly seen all over the underside of the mattress, so if you have allergies, beware. Bedsheets had small holes all over them, as if from mouse or insect bites. The carpet was very dirty and the room itself is not cleaned during your stay at the hotel - maybe if you ask the receptionist, I didn't try that. The hallways and bathrooms are cleaned daily though. It's too bad they don't do a good job at it. The shared bathrooms smell disgusting, but are useable, I guess.
If you choose to stay at this hotel (or as in my case, are forced to due to the lack of other options within budget), you'll have lots of neighbors who are permanent residents. Some of them are meth users - you can tell by the smell - and look pretty sketchy. The hotel is located on top of a stripclub, right at San Francisco's 'red light district', so it's pretty tough to get some decent sleep on weekends. Try to get a room at the second floor, at least.
The actual location is not bad, though. It's a close walk to Chinatown, the Italian district, downtown, market street, the BART, the harbour... it's really great actually.
But the methheads, the bathrooms, the bedbugs... arh... I'm still covered in red, itchy bites and it is disgusting.

Room Tip: If you have the chance to book in advance, go for another hotel - seriously. Avoid this place. If n...
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Mauricio A
Reviewed September 11, 2012 via mobile

The only good thing about this hotel is the location. But please do not let this make you book this hotel. I booked to stay here for 5 nights, and I only ended up staying there for 1 night, half of this being spent stood in the hotel foyer at 2.30AM in the morning trying to find another place to stay.

It is that bad!

We booked this hotel and ignored the terrible reviews, thinking it wasn't going to as bad as people said, but it was. I urge you not to book this place. Find somewhere else, you will be grateful.

The reason we left was because we were awoken at 1.30AM by a mouse rustling in our bags that were on the floor. We turned the light on and found a mouse running along the edge of the hotel room to underneath the washbasin. We went to reception, complained to the man and he gave us another room whilst we looked online for another hotel.

Woke up at 9AM and had a full blown argument with the incredibly rude hotel manager, and persisted to receive a full refund for our stay. We left and are now staying in another hotel.

I urge you again not to ignore the reviews, this place should be closed down and could not possibly pass a health and cleanliness report. Do not stay here, please do not stay here and stop giving money to the people who run this hotel.

Bed bugs on the walls, dirty dirty carpets, mice in the rooms. (oh yeah, I forgot to mention, the guy said there is nothing he can do about the mice!).

Please please please do not stay here, take notice from people who have stayed there. You wouldn't have mice in your own house, so why pay to stay somewhere where there is mice?

You will be paying to stay in a place where bed bugs will be on your clothes, in your bags and bite you in the night.

This place is horrible, horrible and should be named and shamed throughout the whole of San Fran. I hope the management read this and if you do, sort yourselves out, you own an absolutely horrible hostel and you deserve to be shut down. I hope people take notice of these reviews and never stay at your place ever again.

• Stayed: September 2012
3  Thank lukeathers
Reviewed September 11, 2012

OK. Where the hell do I even begin?
We arrived for a 5 night stay yesterday and we were expecting a grim place for the price. Turns out I would have been happy if the place was just grim, but grim just isn't the word. When arriving at our room we opened the curtains to let some light into the damp dingy dirty room and realised we were next to a heap of fag dimps and rubbish, so we couldn't even open the window to let out the stale fag and weed smell. We got into bed a little squeamish and were woke by the loudest rustling in our room ever. And it takes a LOT to wake me up. My partner had ear plugs in and it even woke him. Turns out it was a HUGE mouse running through all of our bags. We ran to reception but noone was there so spoke to a security guard who shouted over our complaint and stated 'well we can't control it..' but moved us into another room anyway. Again, an absolute dive. We managed to get a couple of hours of interrupted sleep through the noise of scurrying after spending 3 hours on the crap wifi looking for another place to stay. If mice isn't bad enough we were sat in the middle of the bed to keep away from the cockroaches and huge bedbugs covering the walls. Obviously I'm covered in bites today. As soon as the receptionist returned at 9am we asked for a full refund which turned into an extremely loud and aggressive shout off between me, the receptionist and my partner as he, at first, was not willing to refund us, but I wasn't prepared to pay for a second in that place.

We have just arrived at a hotel called hotel north beach. A bit more pricey but absolutely lovely. Friendly staff and clean and pleasant with lovely guests. STAY HERE! Do NOT stay at the Europa. It will be the worst thing you ever do.
I'm a back packer and have stayed in some dives but this is just unbelievable. Just for a bit of an added extra too, they have a big permanent resident community who smoke weed and get absolutely bladdered in the halls and run around you, we felt like the only travellers/holiday makers there.

You HAVE to take this seriously, I would not wish a night like ours on anyone. It will ruin San Francisco for you if you stay there, and that would be such a Shame. This place is in desperate need of a visit from the health authorities and should NOT be advertised as a hotel.

DO.NOT.STAY.HERE.

• Stayed: September 2012
2  Thank Hannahmonks1
Reviewed September 10, 2012

This is NOT a hotel by any means. If you are thinking of staying here to save a few bucks, STOP!!! Do not stay there. My husband and i stayed there for 2 nights and I have 36 bites on my body from BED BUGS. The floor sloped and so did the bed. The bed frame was broken and there was trash and a thick layer of dirt under the bed. i stomped on a roach the first night but had no idea I would be a feast for the bed bugs while i slept. I counted 11 bites on arms and hands, 3 on my tummy and back and 22 itching burning bumps from the knee down. Room 130 was a nightmare and safe to say, the others weren't any different. Not to mention the loud music late into the night from the strip clubs on either side of the Europa.Please read this before you book a room.

Room Tip: Any where but the Europa, please!
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Tanya S
Reviewed September 9, 2012

Hundreds and hundreds of hotels throughout the world I have managed to find the worst I have ever stayed in. I am not even sure how to begin here.

First, if you have ever been to India and stayed in budget accommodations for a couple of dollars, this is what you can expect...problem is that it is fifty dollars per night. This rate comes with rooms that aren't cleaned before you move in, old food in the fridge, bugs everywhere, mice, and roaches. One way to evade seeing all of the roaches is to make sure you wake up after it is light outside....when they tend to go to sleep. The pictures, by the owners, show headboards, pictures, and table lamps....lmao. I have none of that.

I broke one of my cardinal rules, but I will say why. I never pay for a week without staying in a place for a night. I just got burned by not following this. The reason though is that San Francisco has a dearth of accommodation in relation to the number of tourists. This leaves either expensive or mid-priced accommodations. There was nothing available within my budget (100 per night was in my budget). This was the hotel by default.

First, I check in and they put me in room 123. I walk in and there were DOZENS of fruit flies flying around. Then I try and look out the dirt encrusted window to open it but then see a huge pile of trash sitting there and no screen in the window. Furthermore, it was a spot that anyone could walk over and open the window. Obviously due to the pile of trash which included clothes, food, and other trasch meant I couldnt open the screenless window. The guy at the front desk, the large guy, said it was trash from next door. That is actually an impossibility. Here is my hypothesis: rooms don't come with trash cans/bags and since they don't clean the rooms (in my case before I moved in or during the entire week I was here), the garbage has to go somewhere so I presume residents just throw it out the windows. Soooo....the large Indian guy at the front desk said he would spray the room and bag the garbage from "next door" by the next day so I can stay in a different room. I was then shown a second room....just as bad. The third room was room 235. I am sitting in the room right now so that I can give you an accurate picture here.

First, my neighbors are long-term residents who tend to keep their doors open and hang out all of the time. The one neighbor is a meth head who is up 24-7 it seems and constantly keeps me awake. If you are looking to sleep without ear plugs this is not the place for you. The room itself...ready. When I walked in, I was told this is the third and final room I could have. The mirror was completely busted as if someone headbutted it. The room smelled like cigarette smoke. The carpet wasn't swept. The sink had cigarette burns all over it. There was leftover food in the fridge. There were no independent lights. The smoke alarm was hanging down from the ceiling with no battery. There is wet toilet paper that was obviously thrown up on the ceiling and dried. There are holes in the walls where trash bags are used to plug them. The bed was incredible. The pillow case had what looked like human excrament on it. Then I turned it over and the same thing was on the other side. The blanket was caked with food. The bed cover had holes in it and filthy beyond any third world standard. The window had cigarette butts in it, the curtain torn and the window itself let no air in it because it faced the internal "courtyard" which was filled with trash, junk, and obviously used as a construction zone for the hotel (I presume by the room that the "construction materials" have been here as long as the hotel. The bathroom, which is shared, stunk so bad as it was obvious that sewage had backed up, that the first three days I couldn't take a shower or use the toilet in the hotel. I then found another bathroom in a different part of the hotel which I will refer to as the "pseudo" tourist hall.

So, the "pseudo" tourist hall is located on the second floor with rooms overlooking the street. This has nice circulation and many of them seem to be much nicer then what I was in. This hall was cleaned what seemed like every day. They swept the carpet, changed linen, and basically did everything they didn't do in the hall I was located. Some of the rooms even had bedside lamps and pictures on the wall!! Ask to see any room before taking it!!

The internet works very intermittently. The clientel are dubious at best in terms of the long-term residents. A couple of the managers are really nice but the large guy with the glasses and the woman are nasty beyond belief in terms of customer service. Actually those two words do not belong in the same write-up of this hotel. I have plenty of pictures I have taken to back this up and will post them one of these days.

I can keep writing about this place but it literally makes me sick that I didn't have a choice but to stay here. Two others you should check out that are very nearby are Balmoral 2 and Hotel North Beach. I have stayed at Hotel North Beach and it was 100 percent nicer and kept up. The Balmoral 2 was visited and seemed very nice and well managed. The problem with these two is that they are booked far in advance.

If you have travelled on a budget in places like Bangkok, Manila, Kuta, or Calcutta to name a few, expect this standard, if not lower but at a price that is 500 percent higher. There is NO correlation between the 50 dollars you will spend on a room and the room/experience you will get.

If you don't mind roaches, bugs, trash, meth heads, backed up sewers in the bathrooms, ambivalent staff, mice, uncleaned rooms, food crusted blankets, excrement added pillow cases, and cleanliness surpassed by any budget hotel in India, and you think this is a value for 50.00 then this is your type of place.

Again, this is easily, hands-down the worst hotel I have EVER stayed in, the worst "VALUE" of any hotel in any city in any country I have been to (over 80 at this point).

Room Tip: There are different rooms that are very different....make sure to see the room even if they say they...
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled solo