“By far THE worst night of my whole entire life”
1 of 5 bubbles Review of Europa Hotel

Europa Hotel
Ranked #48 of 72 San Francisco B&B and Inns
“By far THE worst night of my whole entire life”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 11, 2012

OK. Where the hell do I even begin?
We arrived for a 5 night stay yesterday and we were expecting a grim place for the price. Turns out I would have been happy if the place was just grim, but grim just isn't the word. When arriving at our room we opened the curtains to let some light into the damp dingy dirty room and realised we were next to a heap of fag dimps and rubbish, so we couldn't even open the window to let out the stale fag and weed smell. We got into bed a little squeamish and were woke by the loudest rustling in our room ever. And it takes a LOT to wake me up. My partner had ear plugs in and it even woke him. Turns out it was a HUGE mouse running through all of our bags. We ran to reception but noone was there so spoke to a security guard who shouted over our complaint and stated 'well we can't control it..' but moved us into another room anyway. Again, an absolute dive. We managed to get a couple of hours of interrupted sleep through the noise of scurrying after spending 3 hours on the crap wifi looking for another place to stay. If mice isn't bad enough we were sat in the middle of the bed to keep away from the cockroaches and huge bedbugs covering the walls. Obviously I'm covered in bites today. As soon as the receptionist returned at 9am we asked for a full refund which turned into an extremely loud and aggressive shout off between me, the receptionist and my partner as he, at first, was not willing to refund us, but I wasn't prepared to pay for a second in that place.

We have just arrived at a hotel called hotel north beach. A bit more pricey but absolutely lovely. Friendly staff and clean and pleasant with lovely guests. STAY HERE! Do NOT stay at the Europa. It will be the worst thing you ever do.
I'm a back packer and have stayed in some dives but this is just unbelievable. Just for a bit of an added extra too, they have a big permanent resident community who smoke weed and get absolutely bladdered in the halls and run around you, we felt like the only travellers/holiday makers there.

You HAVE to take this seriously, I would not wish a night like ours on anyone. It will ruin San Francisco for you if you stay there, and that would be such a Shame. This place is in desperate need of a visit from the health authorities and should NOT be advertised as a hotel.

DO.NOT.STAY.HERE.

• Stayed September 2012
2 Thank Hannahmonks1

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (20)
Fresno, California, United States
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 10, 2012

This is NOT a hotel by any means. If you are thinking of staying here to save a few bucks, STOP!!! Do not stay there. My husband and i stayed there for 2 nights and I have 36 bites on my body from BED BUGS. The floor sloped and so did the bed. The bed frame was broken and there was trash and a thick layer of dirt under the bed. i stomped on a roach the first night but had no idea I would be a feast for the bed bugs while i slept. I counted 11 bites on arms and hands, 3 on my tummy and back and 22 itching burning bumps from the knee down. Room 130 was a nightmare and safe to say, the others weren't any different. Not to mention the loud music late into the night from the strip clubs on either side of the Europa.Please read this before you book a room.

Room Tip: Any where but the Europa, please!
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Tanya S

Travelers are raving about these San Francisco hotels

San Diego, California
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 9, 2012

Hundreds and hundreds of hotels throughout the world I have managed to find the worst I have ever stayed in. I am not even sure how to begin here.

First, if you have ever been to India and stayed in budget accommodations for a couple of dollars, this is what you can expect...problem is that it is fifty dollars per night. This rate comes with rooms that aren't cleaned before you move in, old food in the fridge, bugs everywhere, mice, and roaches. One way to evade seeing all of the roaches is to make sure you wake up after it is light outside....when they tend to go to sleep. The pictures, by the owners, show headboards, pictures, and table lamps....lmao. I have none of that.

I broke one of my cardinal rules, but I will say why. I never pay for a week without staying in a place for a night. I just got burned by not following this. The reason though is that San Francisco has a dearth of accommodation in relation to the number of tourists. This leaves either expensive or mid-priced accommodations. There was nothing available within my budget (100 per night was in my budget). This was the hotel by default.

First, I check in and they put me in room 123. I walk in and there were DOZENS of fruit flies flying around. Then I try and look out the dirt encrusted window to open it but then see a huge pile of trash sitting there and no screen in the window. Furthermore, it was a spot that anyone could walk over and open the window. Obviously due to the pile of trash which included clothes, food, and other trasch meant I couldnt open the screenless window. The guy at the front desk, the large guy, said it was trash from next door. That is actually an impossibility. Here is my hypothesis: rooms don't come with trash cans/bags and since they don't clean the rooms (in my case before I moved in or during the entire week I was here), the garbage has to go somewhere so I presume residents just throw it out the windows. Soooo....the large Indian guy at the front desk said he would spray the room and bag the garbage from "next door" by the next day so I can stay in a different room. I was then shown a second room....just as bad. The third room was room 235. I am sitting in the room right now so that I can give you an accurate picture here.

First, my neighbors are long-term residents who tend to keep their doors open and hang out all of the time. The one neighbor is a meth head who is up 24-7 it seems and constantly keeps me awake. If you are looking to sleep without ear plugs this is not the place for you. The room itself...ready. When I walked in, I was told this is the third and final room I could have. The mirror was completely busted as if someone headbutted it. The room smelled like cigarette smoke. The carpet wasn't swept. The sink had cigarette burns all over it. There was leftover food in the fridge. There were no independent lights. The smoke alarm was hanging down from the ceiling with no battery. There is wet toilet paper that was obviously thrown up on the ceiling and dried. There are holes in the walls where trash bags are used to plug them. The bed was incredible. The pillow case had what looked like human excrament on it. Then I turned it over and the same thing was on the other side. The blanket was caked with food. The bed cover had holes in it and filthy beyond any third world standard. The window had cigarette butts in it, the curtain torn and the window itself let no air in it because it faced the internal "courtyard" which was filled with trash, junk, and obviously used as a construction zone for the hotel (I presume by the room that the "construction materials" have been here as long as the hotel. The bathroom, which is shared, stunk so bad as it was obvious that sewage had backed up, that the first three days I couldn't take a shower or use the toilet in the hotel. I then found another bathroom in a different part of the hotel which I will refer to as the "pseudo" tourist hall.

So, the "pseudo" tourist hall is located on the second floor with rooms overlooking the street. This has nice circulation and many of them seem to be much nicer then what I was in. This hall was cleaned what seemed like every day. They swept the carpet, changed linen, and basically did everything they didn't do in the hall I was located. Some of the rooms even had bedside lamps and pictures on the wall!! Ask to see any room before taking it!!

The internet works very intermittently. The clientel are dubious at best in terms of the long-term residents. A couple of the managers are really nice but the large guy with the glasses and the woman are nasty beyond belief in terms of customer service. Actually those two words do not belong in the same write-up of this hotel. I have plenty of pictures I have taken to back this up and will post them one of these days.

I can keep writing about this place but it literally makes me sick that I didn't have a choice but to stay here. Two others you should check out that are very nearby are Balmoral 2 and Hotel North Beach. I have stayed at Hotel North Beach and it was 100 percent nicer and kept up. The Balmoral 2 was visited and seemed very nice and well managed. The problem with these two is that they are booked far in advance.

If you have travelled on a budget in places like Bangkok, Manila, Kuta, or Calcutta to name a few, expect this standard, if not lower but at a price that is 500 percent higher. There is NO correlation between the 50 dollars you will spend on a room and the room/experience you will get.

If you don't mind roaches, bugs, trash, meth heads, backed up sewers in the bathrooms, ambivalent staff, mice, uncleaned rooms, food crusted blankets, excrement added pillow cases, and cleanliness surpassed by any budget hotel in India, and you think this is a value for 50.00 then this is your type of place.

Again, this is easily, hands-down the worst hotel I have EVER stayed in, the worst "VALUE" of any hotel in any city in any country I have been to (over 80 at this point).

Room Tip: There are different rooms that are very different....make sure to see the room even if they say they...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
3 Thank wanderingtheworld200
New York City, New York
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 24, 2012

I have to say that the staff has been friendly and kind. But that has nothing to do with cleanliness. I woke up with several bed bug bites that really fit this desciption: http://www.whatdobedbugslooklike.net/bed-bug-bite-symptoms.html
I typically travel on a budget and I've stayed at many dirty places. This place is one of the dirtiest I've ever seen.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Salem, Oregon
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 2, 2012

Price was really cheap, but never have we stayed in such a dump. The picture showed must have been at their very best day. Really regret not reading the reviews before having booked 3 nights. While the location is great, it's not all that fun sleeping on top of a stip-club, when you wanna sleep. So nope, this place sure is terrible...

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank Christoffer B
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 1, 2012

Just like the title says. This was the first place I stayed while backpacking the US and it was a pleasant surprise. Rooms were big and clean, felt pretty safe, shared bathrooms cleaned regularly. Great value for money!

• Stayed July 2012
Isle of Wight
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 16, 2012

Look at my recent re views and you will see that I am easily pleased , not pickey and fair.
This place is in a good location , that is the only plus.The " receptionist" a very unfriendly rude little man.The interior of the Hotel is disgusting and smelly , full of long term down and out residents , one of which thought it would be funny to fart next to me when I was checking in, he ran of laughing.
The shared bathrooms are horrible, in one of them there was excrement on the walls.
The room it self , very small and totally uterally disgusting , smelt horrible , carpet was unbeliveable , so dirty and used must be 30 or so years old.I braved a look at the matteres and wished iI had nt! The sink was the worst I have seen since travelling the world the past 5 months, even in run down places in India were better than this .
The walls were spattered with some stuff that might have been blood or jam .
I really do not think they should be allowed to Hotel peole here , or at least the Booking .com should strike them off , I wil be complaining to them definatally.
They put zero effort into this place, just cah in , let them keep housing the social cases but they should not be allowed to advertise as a Hotel.
I moved out into 6th street Hotel which was a very dodgy area at night times but the Hotel was100 times better than this and for the same price .
I am so furious with being ripped off like this and the horrible irgnorant , nochalant Hotel staff need some serious lessons in manners

Room Tip: Just dont go there
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled solo