“wonderful food, excellent service, fair price”
Review of Frances

Frances
Reserve with OpenTable
Frances is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #63 of 5,939 Restaurants in San Francisco
Cross street: between Noe and Sanchez
Transit: 24, 33, 35, 37, F, K, M, and L
Description: very popular new American in SF
Reviewed August 29, 2012

During a recent trip family to SF, my wife and I decided to go out for a night without the kids. We ended up at Frances thanks to other reviews (Lonely Planet, I think). We got there a bit late and though the place was packed, we were warmly accommodated, the wait wasn't long and we were “checked on” an update while we waited (no more than 15 minutes). The service was friendly, warm and knowledgeable. The house wine at $1 an inch was a good choice. We shared appetizers and entrées. The salads were refreshing and light, the soups and breads delightful, and the meats were perfectly grilled with a lovely sauce. A desert selection of several “small sweets” capped of a great meal. By the time we finished we were one of the only tables left. Rather than feel hurried, our waiter and remaining staff chatted with us and answered our questions about the meal, the restaurant, etc.
The only downside of the evening is the noise level. Obviously this lessened as the placed thinned out. They need to do some baffling or other sound-proofing. It was very loud. To the point where several times at the beginning of the evening I had to ask my wife to interpret the waiter’s remarks as she was closer to my wife. Other than the noise, a great evening.

1  Thank 2deer

Reviewed August 28, 2012

We were lucky to get a table in the day thanks to lovely people worling there. The tomato soup is an ultimate TREAT. I do not recommand any other wines than californian. Only drawpack :my fish was not cooked correctly.
Besides it is really good. I am not convinced by traditionnal dishes (eg fish) and i was more amazed by the creative dishes. Compared i would definitly recommend to go to maverick in mission.

Reviewed August 26, 2012

Second visit confirms this is worth the wait to get a reservation! I think this is one of the top restaurants in San francisco

Reviewed August 20, 2012

Just love the food, it's not the usual stuff and simply great.

Everything on our table was just perfectly cooked, be it the bavette steak, the salmon, the pasta, the nibbles upfront or everything else. Not overcooked, not undercooked - crispy, aromatic, succulent. And a great presentation. Great wines, too.

I also love the restaurant's interior: It's intimate and you feel at home at once. But I recommend reserving a long time before as it is always busy due to the restricted availability of tables. If you didn't get a table and you're on your own or just two people, you may try to walk in and sit at the bar, where you can order the same meals. Not the worst option and nice for people watching.

Reviewed August 20, 2012

Book weeks in advance or find yourself lucky by trying the same day if there are any cancellations through Open Table-booking (website Frances) as we did. Excellent cooking with local products, the cook technically highy skilled. Oh the hors d'oeuvres! Have the avocado dip and you'll feel tempted to lick the glass. All dishes equally delicious.
Good service. Excellent wine list. Yes expensive, but isn't all American wine?