“Tasty food & drinks”
Review of Fang

Fang
Reserve with OpenTable
Fang is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #291 of 5,693 Restaurants in San Francisco
Cuisines: Chinese
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighborhood: SoMa
Cross street: 3rd Street and New Montgomery
Description: Fang is the sister restaurant of wildly popular restaurant, House of Nanking. Fang embodies both modern and authentic Chinese cuisines in a fine dining setting serving traditional Chinese fare, dim sum, as well as "off the menu" innovative dishes for the adventurous. Chef Peter Fang believes that good-tasting food is universal and should not be bound by how dishes were made in the past. With Chef Peter’s trademark inventiveness and eye for quality, the menu evolves and changes based on seasonally fresh ingredients from the same local Chinatown markets Peter has visited for decades. For fresh seasonal Chinese food in an elegant and modern setting, visit Fang.
“Tasty food & drinks”
Reviewed November 1, 2012

Loved the food there- can't remember all the things we tried, but the pot stickers & hot & sour soup were SO good

Kathy F, Owner at Fang, responded to this review, November 7, 2012
Thanks Steph! I'm so happy to hear you loved every dish you tried. Looking forward to your next meal with us!

• Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Polish first
Stewartsville, New Jersey
“Great Food, So So Service”
Reviewed October 25, 2012

All the food we had was great, (East Coast Chinese food is so different) well seasoned and delicious. We had the Papaya soup, which we ordered just to try something different, it had pork spareribs and a white soup with - different and delicious. We also had the Fangs Pekiing Buns with beef. Meat was very tender, the sauce made the bun.I had a eggplant and tofu dish in black bean sauce. My husband had the Fang’s Crispy Honey Steak,

The waiter however seemed to not be happy that we were there. He was not rude or anything just not pleasant or welcoming. We were there around 3pm on a Thursday and so there were few other patrons. Perhaps that is just his demeanor but it was a bit off puting. If we wanted anything we had to get his attention. However the food was so good that I would still go back and still recommend it to other visitors.

• Visited October 2012
Kathy F, Owner at Fang, responded to this review, November 7, 2012
Thanks for your review. I'm glad you enjoyed our original and delicious dishes, but I'm sorry you were let down by our service. Normally our servers are warm and welcoming, but it seems that you caught us on an off night. I'm sure your server didn't intentionally mean to act that way. But for good measure, I'll make sure to pass along your message to the staff so that we can improve going forward. I'm pleased to hear you plan on coming back, and I look forward to your next visit.

Take care,
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
“All About the Food”
Reviewed October 21, 2012

Went for lunch with three friends. All of us loved the food. Yes it was loud but the food more than made up for it. Each dish was better than the other.Very reasonable lunch menu. We had a reservation or would have had to wait. Considering its a block from the Moscone Center and how good the food it, I understand why there are lines. Our order was taken right away and the food can out quickly. After that service was lacking, our water never refilled and we had to look around for the check.Even with that, I would go back and recommend Fang, the food was that good.

Hi Vickie,

Thank you for your review. I'm so happy to hear you and your friends enjoyed your lunch. My dad and I put a lot of thought into our cooking and want all our guests to have a great experience. I'll be sure to use your feedback about our service to improve going forward. I hope you get a chance to visit again soon!

Take care,
Albertville, Alabama
“Better Chinese in Alabama”
Reviewed October 17, 2012 via mobile

Fang was recommended by the concierge at the InterContonental Hotel. The ambience was terrible. The tables were close together and it was very loud. The sizzling rice soup and the hot and sour soup were very good. The sake was good, but the rest of dinner was underwhelming. Both entrees were served with cold spots in them, and I have had better Chinese in Alabama. When the check arrived, the prices came off a different menu than we ordered from. Fang was a major disappointment for San Francisco. I do not recommend it.

1 Thank drj999999
Kathy F, Owner at Fang, responded to this review, December 9, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to review us. While I'm glad you enjoyed our soups and sake, I'm sorry you were disappointed with the rest of your experience. We prepare all our dishes to order using fresh ingredients, so I'm alarmed to hear that your entrees were served with cold spots. I'll be sure to use your feedback so that we can improve going forward.

San Jose, CA
“Bad service, rude waitress”
Reviewed October 14, 2012

The restaurant was packed, but seriously I won't go back. As soon as we sat down, 9 of us, the waitress came by and told us we should order what she would put together for us. We said we wanted to order from the menu, and she was not happy and took off leaving us to look at the menu. Being a Chinese restaurant in San Francisco, the menu does not have a single word in Chinese :-) We selected the dishes and had to convince the waitress those were the dishes we wanted to order. She still tried to tell us what other dishes we should order. Took us 5 times to get tea to the table, but wine and beer came right away. Some of the dishes were interesting and actually tasted fine, but with a horrible service and attitude, we don't care to return. I think this restaurant is really catering to the tourists, so whether someone come back or not isn't an issue. And for many tourists who were not familiar with Chinese food, they could be fine with taking what the waitress said to order. In any case, the food was overpriced and the service was lousy. So beware.

Kathy F, Owner at Fang, responded to this review, December 9, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to review us. I'm sincerely sorry you were disappointed with our service. We want to make our service as warm and inviting as the food we serve. Many of our guests come to Fang for an adventurous dining experience, letting my dad and I create unique dishes for them off the menu. But I understand other guests want to stick to our menu, and our server should have respected your decision to do so. I'll make sure to pass along your message to our staff so that we can improve going forward.