“Sanctuary of Hayes Valley - Casa Loma” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Casa Loma Hotel

Casa Loma Hotel
Las Vegas, Nevada
“Sanctuary of Hayes Valley - Casa Loma”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 27, 2010

I would highly recommend this location to anyone who is seeking a safe, clean, affordable, tastefully decorated and visitor friendly place to stay. I was looking for a European style boutique hotel online and this is the only one that fit the description. After reading the reviews from previous guests, I felt confident to book my reservation and see for myself if it was worth the value. I have to say I was not disappointed at all. I enjoyed my stay and have already made plans to come back in October. The only suggestion I have for the other guests is that they be considerate and talk softly and move around quietly so that the other guests not be disturbed as I found out, voices carry and you can hear footsteps of others moving around if they stomp around while walking. Also, male guest's should have a robe or something of the sort to use when leaving the shower area so when women are waiting outside for our turn to shower we don't have that awkward run-in where you guys are leaving the shower wearing only your wet underwear. As for the street noise, I suppose ear plugs is a good idea, I opted for taking 2 Tylenol PM's to cut out any noise going on around me. Overall, I would rate this hotel a 9 out of 10 on a scale of satisfaction.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with friends
1 Thank KyleighGoldman

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (51)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 10, 2010

I've been to SF many times, usually staying at some moderate tourist hotel downtown. This time I wanted to be out of the downtown, in a real neighbourhood. Which led me to this fantastic bargain hotel.

Michael and the other manager (lovely women, whose name I didn't get) are both super friendly and helpful, and just laughed it off when I locked my key in my room within minutes of checking in.

My room was a deluxe but with shared bath, on the top floor facing Fillmore. Spacious and clean, with great views and cheap WIFI if you buy a week's worth. Had a sink and a fridge (which I appreciated) and a TV (which I hardly used.)

My room did not have a phone, and my cell is Canada-only, but that was a not a problem since I could do everything but talk using my laptop. Also, there is no maid service, but that didn't bother me either. I rather liked the privacy. I felt like I really lived there.

The shared bath was always free and spotless, the location is great, with a good coffee shop and great, inexpensive seafood restaurant only a block or two away.

The Fillmore bus runs often and will take you to Market St in no time, or all the way to the Marina district. You can easily walk to Castro St, Haight St, any number of parks, even all the way downtown. Several corner stores are nearby, as is a Safeway

The only minor faults were the lack of an elevator (at the end of a day walking the streets of SF, those extra four flights were a bit redundant), and the traffic noise, especially at rush hour. But any SF hotel room fronting a street is going to be noisy, in my experience. Get earplugs and get over it.

I used BART and MUNI coming from the airport, and a SuperShuttle to return. Both are cheap and easy.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled solo
3 Thank StephenYYZ
Calgary, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 5, 2010

I would *highly* recommend staying at the Casa Loma Hotel. Initially skeptical at a too-good-to-be-true price, I found that hotel was perfect for the budget-conscious traveler. Clean, comfortable and safe, I was very happy with my stay and would definitely stay there again, as well as recommend it to anyone looking to stay in San Fran and not pay a lot of money. Located close to many bus routes, it's easy to get to almost anywhere in the city via public transit. The hotel staff are incredibly friendly and helpful in providing information about the city and what to do while in San Francisco. The rooms are clean and very comfortable.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled with friends
1 Thank vegablue16
Garden Grove, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 21, 2010

This hotel is AMAZING. It's pretty much brand new because they just renovated it into a hotel, so all the furniture was new and modern styled. The price was fabulous and the hotel staff is so nice. They'll help you with anything you ask. I called them a million times before my trip with questions and Michael, the manager, took his time and answered them all so I love him for that. At first I was a little apprehensive about the shared bathroom thing, but there's individual toilets and individual showers and they're all new and cleaned everyday, so it was perfectly fine. The sink/vanity in the room was totally convenient for girls with long morning and night face washing routines. The bed was very comfortable and a full bed pretty much fits 2 people and if you have a 3rd person, ask for an extra blanket and they can sleep on the comfy floor, which is pleasantly cooler than the bed's warm comforter. Housekeeping doesn't really clean your room everyday, but that's not so bad if you're not messy. Just put your trash outside your door and they'll take it away. That's pretty much the only downside. Everything else is great. The location isn't too far from anything. Learn to love the 21 bus because it'll take you everywhere you'd want to go :)

• Stayed June 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank phammerr
midlands
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 18, 2010

stayed here for a couple of nights to explore the city. the place is very clean and very safe and very cheap. i would definitely recommend.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank hkvontrapp
Geneva, Switzerland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 6, 2010

I was in Casa Loma from May 29th to June 3rd and had a great stay there, I took a room with bath room inside and it was very clean, the furniture is new and the bed was really comfortable. The only weakness of my room was the noise from fell Street but with ear plug I slept like a baby. There is washing machines available at the ground floor and as well as a kitchen if you want to cook something by yourself. Hair dryer available at the reception.
Bus 21 taking you to down town (Market street) is at 2 min walk form the hotel, it's very convenient.
Michael (the receptionist) always been very helpful and helped me to bring my heavy suit case to my room.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled solo
1 Thank MagaliG74
Iowa City, Iowa
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 3, 2010

I stayed there during the memorial day weekend. The manager and the receptionist are very friendly. The rooms are clean and well decorated. As to traffic, there are one bus line directly to downtown and it takes only 15 minutes to get downtown. Walgreen is just few blocks away from hotel and there are some bars and restaurants there too. Also, it is quite close to the Aloma square.

The only shortcoming is its close to main street and the rooms are somewhat noisy if your room close to the street. A ear bud could solve this problem.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled as a couple