“Honest Review”
2 of 5 bubbles Review of Casa Loma Hotel

Casa Loma Hotel
“Honest Review”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 8, 2013

I stayed in room 104 and it was like a prison cell. Maybe even smaller than that. It had a (squeaky) double bed, a sink, a window that looked into another room, and a set of draws. The door handle almost fell off every time I touched it haha. The room was miserable but fairly clean. The receptionists were uninterested and just sat on Facebook. The location wasn't the best, was pretty rough. It's about 45 mins away on the tram to pier 39 etc.

I'm not really someone who leaves reviews on here or slates any hotel but honestly, don't stay here. For those of you thinking its value for money, it isn't. Pay a little bit extra and stay nearer Fishermans Wharf, it'll make your experience of San Francisco 100% better.

• Stayed August 2013

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (52)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Santa Barbara, California
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 31, 2013

My boyfriend and I were in our room when a man- using an electronic key- let himself into our room. The man said sorry and left. We immediately went to the front desk to ask what had happened.
The woman at the front desk said she was not allowed to give out keys, BUT SHE DID ANYWAY, and she had given someone the WRONG KEY and then just tried to give him a new key.
When we asked where the man was staying and why he went into our room, she said she didnt know and she had absolutely no way of checking what keys were issues and to whom.
Let me repeat that:
THEY HAVE NO WAY OF KNOWING WHO HAS WHAT KEY. ANYONE CAN HAVE A KEY TO YOUR ROOM, THEY WOULD HAVE NO IDEA.

she offered no apology. We asked to speak to the manager, Diana, and apparently she was busy.

Apparently Diana has been busy for DAYS because we have tried to talk to her multiple times and she has blown us off. Once, we were able to get her on the phone, but she was busy and promised she would call back. Of course she didn’t.

The worst part? This didn’t happen just once!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The rooms have no way of locking them from the inside.

Clearly, we did not feel safe at all and will NEVER be coming back here.
Whats even worse is that they wont apologize or even help address the issue at all!
Diana is totally disrespectful and unapologetic for the horrific state of affairs in that hotel.

So yes, in short, stay there at your own risk.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank UCIrvine85

Travelers are raving about these San Francisco hotels

Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 27, 2013

this hotel is in the heart of Alamo Square precinct, and also very close to the CBD and Haight Ashbury via the frequent trolley cars, which are excellent value for $2 with unlimited transfers in a 90min travel window.

The neighbourhood was safe and felt safe to walk around in at night, the rooms were spacious, and adequate without being luxurious. Shared bathroom worked out ok, no obvious congestion at morning or night. Hotel staff were reasonably helpful, except they issued only one key between the two of us, so that posed a minor logistical problem as my brother and I do not always travel together and arrive back at the hotel at the same time, so its a needless inconvenience. They charged a bond, which I did not get reassurance at check out time that it would be refunded, so they need to work on that, eg by having staff check the room on the guest's departure, so there are no nasty surprises on your credit card when you get home. I will be watching that closely, and took a video of the room in case I need to follow up.

Room Tip: Photos on booking.com are accurate...but.....ask for a room with the corner window, as the view will...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Santa Clara, California
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 19, 2013

We stayed here overnight after the Outside Lands Festival, about 20 min walk to Golden Gate Park, straight down Fell Street. We had an ensuite room, very clean. The road is very busy and quite noisy. A few cafes on Filmore Street to stop for breakfast. We parked at the Filmore Parking Garage which is about 10 min walk uphill to the Casa Loma ($25 for 24-hrs.)

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Christine O
Perth australia
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 17, 2013 via mobile

We booked this place as we had one night left in San Fran and our hotel around the corner were fully booked for our last night. The area is good, walking distance to Alamo square and a bus stop just around the corner that gets you into town. This really is the only perk of the hotel/ hostel. The staff were polite but completely uninterested in us as guests. We spoke to 4 different staff intervals and all seemed preoccupied with their mobiles/ Facebook etc to give us their full attention. The room itself was clean but very uninspired and as we were by the roadside it was impossible to sleep. Literally we did not sleep at all, I had to get up unplug the mini fridge as that sounded like it would blow up and the traffic noise was horrendous. Also we booked the hotel as it offered wi- fi... Be warned.. This does not work, you cannot even search for a connection on the higher levels. When we went to reception the guy said there was no reception ( big fat lie as he was sat in Facebook) we explained we needed to complete various things online before we flew out of San Fran the next morning and he said if we brought our laptop down he would log us in - totally inconvenient!
Do yourself a favour and if you want a brilliant nights sleep, beautiful room and an awesome breakfast, try book into tivoli chateau around the corner- the cheapest room there is the same price as here and they are worlds apart. We got treated like royalty there compared to this place. Will not recommend or stay again, awful end to our otherwise great stay in San Fran!

• Stayed August 2013
Fresno, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 3, 2013

The rooms are small but very nice and clean and comfy no restrooms or baths in rooms they are seperate down the hall on each floor but they are nice and clean and very private I actually prefer it like that i was iffy about that part but no problems very pleased with my stay good location also beautiful views

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
Charleston, South Carolina
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 27, 2013

I stayed here as a single female traveler in June 2013. First trip to San Fran.

* Pros:

VERY clean.
Comfortable bed.
Never a wait for showers or toilets. Fantastic location!

* Cons:

No wi-fi, but most cafes and bars have it so not the end of the world.

Staff could be a bit more professional. A very nice girl works afternoons and evenings, but she knows absolutely nothing about the area. She truly needs to go walk around for an afternoon. Couldn't give me even basic bus line information, nor any input on places to eat nearby.

They have laundry facilities, BUT they were only open the hours I was gone seeing the city. The few times I did overlap with them being open, they were in use by housekeeping. :-/ Also, they don't sell laundry detergent on-site, but you can get some at a corner market. It'd be nice if the laundry was available longer hours. I had packed counting on being able to do laundry, so this caused me some problems since I opted to see the city rather than burn daylight doing laundry.

*The rest:

Understand, this hotel is no-frills with most rooms having shared toilets and showers. Rooms have a vanity with sink and mirror. If you just want clean, safe, and quiet, then stay here. If you want amenities pick somewhere else.

The area around this hotel is good. Bus stops very nearby. Go down to Hayes and within less than half a mile you will hit TONS of cool, local shopping, restaurants, bars, a couple of parks, and corner markets. Have breakfast at La Boulange on the corner of Hayes and Octavia! In room fridge was really handy.

I saw reviews complaining about street noise. I was on the top floor, street side, facing the church - oh no elevator, so you have to haul your luggage up but totally worth it - and while I could hear the electric buses, and some cars at morning rush hour, I didn't find it noisy at all...but then I averaged 10 miles a day walking so I slept hard!

I will absolutely stay here again. My local friends couldn't believe the room for the price - said it was a total steal. Thank you, Casa Loma!

• Stayed June 2013