“OK for a value hotel”

Casa Loma Hotel
Bristol, United Kingdom
“OK for a value hotel”
Reviewed November 23, 2012

We selected this hotel due to the great value compared to others in the area. The location was good with bars and restaurants just a block away and tram stops right outside. There's a great cafe across the road for breakfast (Alamo Square Cafe). The room was basic but clean and fine if all you're going to do is sleep there. The shared showers were clean & the water was hot. There was always a shower or toilet available.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (55)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Stockholm
Reviewed November 13, 2012

Very cheap, worn down hotel with a good location. Pretty nasty wall-to-wall carpet and smelly reception, otherwise reasonably clean. Don't expect anything extra, no cleaning of the room, no new towels, no staff at the reception, no wifi, no breakfast...

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Reviewed November 6, 2012

My boyfriend and I booked a double room for 5 nights at Casa Loma and were quite satisfied with our stay. First of all, the location is very ideal, being right in the middle of the city and on a bus line. There are plenty of restaurants and bars nearby on Haight, just blocks away, and Alamo Square Park (also nearby) is a great place to have a picnic lunch.

I found the staff to be friendly and helpful. We got some nice recommendations from one of the staff members for places to grab dinner and beers our first night in San Francisco. We were given a brief tour when we checked in. They also let us secure our rental bikes in their locked closet.

Shared bathrooms and showers are never preferable, but these ones were always clean and well-stocked.

The room was small and simple. The carpet could probably be deep-cleaned or replaced (a few too many stains for my taste) but the bed and linens were comfortable. There is a sink and mirror in the room and towels and soap are provided. Not exactly the type of room you want to spend hours hanging out in, but we planned to be out most of the time and only needed a place to sleep and store our things, so it satisfied our basic needs. I would advise a light sleeper to consider using earplugs, as the walls are pretty thin.

For the price, this is definitely a great option for San Francisco and I will definitely consider staying here in the future!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Las Vegas, Nevada
Reviewed November 6, 2012

Good location in a nice neighborhood, a block from Alamo square, bus stops in a walking distance. Nice and clean room, perfect for the price. Shared bathrooms/restrooms nice and clean. Parking in the area was a nightmare.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Paderborn
Reviewed October 21, 2012

I and a friend of mine wanted to do a city tour in San Francisco and we booked this hostel. When we arrived and got our room we were astonished to see that there was only a single bed! I thought: ok, it is my fault, I have not really realized that double room is not a twin room. As we are not gay, staying the same bed was not an option for us at all. So we went downstairs to the check-in and asked for another room, but the woman was really very unfriendly and laughed us out - this is the first time I experienced such unfriendly stuff - laughing out is a no-go!
On every my question we were told to "talk to my manager" - ridiculous! Some time later the manager came (he was very friendly by the way) and gave us a sleeping bag - this is the way we spent all the days there - one of us was sleeping on the floor! - They didn't want to refund anyhing. When we checked out and picked up our baggage the same unfriendly woman didn't even say a good bye and didn't us take a shower: "guys, you checked out, I don't think you can take a shower here" - she laughed.
It is worth mentioning that on one of the days there was another woman on check-in who was very fine, so if you are lucky you will have her, you'll definitely have other impression.
Concerning the hotel: the furniture is ok, the room really deserves its 1-2 stars, it is ok. The showers and toilets are clean. The location is ok, on foot you walk 30 minutes to the very center. So if you are a pair and are prepared for that unfriendly woman from the stuff you will be ok here. My rating is badly influenced by her and the fact that they don't have twin rooms has to be clear to everything in advance. Thus only 2 points!

Room Tip: There are no twin rooms, so if are two guys make sure you can share one bed or that one can sleep on...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank sergionovi

Travelers are raving about these San Francisco hotels

Santa Barbara, California
Reviewed October 14, 2012

Myself and my boyfriend are travelling around California for the month. We've been staying in hotels and hostels and I have to say this was literally THE worst hotel/hostel either of us have ever stayed in.
From the beginning the staff were very unpleasant and rude. The manager who was checking us in left midway through our check in to sort out some laundry while we waited. When he finally did return he threw a form at us to sign and then headed off somewhere else again. We reviewed our bill, as we always do and the manager got very defensive asking what was the problem etc.
The room itself stunk and the walls were paper thin, we could hear conversations in the next room.
We were given no information whatsoever at check-in, apart from where the bathroom was. So once we settled in I went down to ask the receptionist a few questions about the area, shops, public transport etc The girl at the desk literally rolled her eyes when I came up to the desk and seemed almost bothered or hassled at me being there. It made me feel extremely uncomfortable and for each of the questions I asked her I got one word answers and was basically brushed off. I work in the tourism industry at home and this just drives me mad. These kind of people just should NOT be in tourism.
Also we stayed four nights here and in those four nights our room wasn't cleaned once nor were our towels changed.
Bottom-line DO NOT stay in this hotel! It really put a downer on our few days in San Fran and it was not cheap, it was one of the most expensive places we stayed throughout the entire trip!!!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed October 5, 2012

The room was small, clean and very noisy. We had requested a queen room with bath in a quiet location. What we got was everything but the quiet location. We were put in a room on a very noisy corner, which made sleeping next to impossible.

I had modified my reservation online and the date auto-fill chopped off my third night, which I didn't realize until I checked in. I asked the woman at the desk to see if I could add the third night back to my reservation, and she said that only the owner could make the change. She said that the owner was not available for two days and there was nothing she could do to assist me. I am in the travel industry and this is not the way to run a hotel! Even though my son lives nearby, I would not stay here again. I DO NOT recommend this hotel.

Room Tip: Do not stay here.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple