“Rude staff, no twin rooms”
Review of Casa Loma Hotel

Casa Loma Hotel
Reviewed October 21, 2012

I and a friend of mine wanted to do a city tour in San Francisco and we booked this hostel. When we arrived and got our room we were astonished to see that there was only a single bed! I thought: ok, it is my fault, I have not really realized that double room is not a twin room. As we are not gay, staying the same bed was not an option for us at all. So we went downstairs to the check-in and asked for another room, but the woman was really very unfriendly and laughed us out - this is the first time I experienced such unfriendly stuff - laughing out is a no-go!
On every my question we were told to "talk to my manager" - ridiculous! Some time later the manager came (he was very friendly by the way) and gave us a sleeping bag - this is the way we spent all the days there - one of us was sleeping on the floor! - They didn't want to refund anyhing. When we checked out and picked up our baggage the same unfriendly woman didn't even say a good bye and didn't us take a shower: "guys, you checked out, I don't think you can take a shower here" - she laughed.
It is worth mentioning that on one of the days there was another woman on check-in who was very fine, so if you are lucky you will have her, you'll definitely have other impression.
Concerning the hotel: the furniture is ok, the room really deserves its 1-2 stars, it is ok. The showers and toilets are clean. The location is ok, on foot you walk 30 minutes to the very center. So if you are a pair and are prepared for that unfriendly woman from the stuff you will be ok here. My rating is badly influenced by her and the fact that they don't have twin rooms has to be clear to everything in advance. Thus only 2 points!

Room Tip: There are no twin rooms, so if are two guys make sure you can share one bed or that one can sleep on...
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank SergioPQ

Reviewed October 14, 2012

Myself and my boyfriend are travelling around California for the month. We've been staying in hotels and hostels and I have to say this was literally THE worst hotel/hostel either of us have ever stayed in.
From the beginning the staff were very unpleasant and rude. The manager who was checking us in left midway through our check in to sort out some laundry while we waited. When he finally did return he threw a form at us to sign and then headed off somewhere else again. We reviewed our bill, as we always do and the manager got very defensive asking what was the problem etc.
The room itself stunk and the walls were paper thin, we could hear conversations in the next room.
We were given no information whatsoever at check-in, apart from where the bathroom was. So once we settled in I went down to ask the receptionist a few questions about the area, shops, public transport etc The girl at the desk literally rolled her eyes when I came up to the desk and seemed almost bothered or hassled at me being there. It made me feel extremely uncomfortable and for each of the questions I asked her I got one word answers and was basically brushed off. I work in the tourism industry at home and this just drives me mad. These kind of people just should NOT be in tourism.
Also we stayed four nights here and in those four nights our room wasn't cleaned once nor were our towels changed.
Bottom-line DO NOT stay in this hotel! It really put a downer on our few days in San Fran and it was not cheap, it was one of the most expensive places we stayed throughout the entire trip!!!

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 5, 2012

The room was small, clean and very noisy. We had requested a queen room with bath in a quiet location. What we got was everything but the quiet location. We were put in a room on a very noisy corner, which made sleeping next to impossible.

I had modified my reservation online and the date auto-fill chopped off my third night, which I didn't realize until I checked in. I asked the woman at the desk to see if I could add the third night back to my reservation, and she said that only the owner could make the change. She said that the owner was not available for two days and there was nothing she could do to assist me. I am in the travel industry and this is not the way to run a hotel! Even though my son lives nearby, I would not stay here again. I DO NOT recommend this hotel.

Room Tip: Do not stay here.
1  Thank PPQGA
Reviewed October 4, 2012

Though all the hotels in SF are quite pricey, I beleive that this particular one is overpriced. The room, though clean and neat, was super tiny, and we did not get any room service in 3 days, so we made our bed ourselves and our garbage busket was super-full by the end of the stay. It is also very noisy - the walls are like from cardboard, so you hear everything that happens around you. I used my earplugs all the time.

And you should keep in mind the location - it's fine, if you plan to use public transport a lot, since the bus station is just 1 block away. Otherwise it's quite a walk till the downtown and there are no nearby public parkings for those with cars.

In general - ok, but definitely not for a long stay.

Reviewed October 3, 2012

This was without a doubt the worst hotel I have ever been!
First we arrived to the hotel and a rude woman opened us the main door (not even a good night or a smile). Asked us to sit down and before whatever gave us a contract that we had to sign to stay there saying all we had to pay if we trashed this or that, or if we smoked, or or or... She was rude and we felted that for her she was doing a huge favor letting us being in the hotel. We were never served like these... not even in the cheapest hostels.
We arrived to the room and it was clean, new furniture... everything seemed very nice apart from the stupid woman...
But when had to go to sleep... then the nightmare began. The window to the street doesn't block AT ALL the sound of the cars outside (which are many because of the area where it is, and make a lot of noise because of the inclination of the streets there). Unfortunately we had to sleep there 2 nights. In the first night I woke up every 5 to 10 minutes... in the morning I felt exhausted. In the 2nd night we went to bed at 9pm and I couldn't even fall asleep until 3.30 am. I had to wake up at 6am and even in these 2 and a half hours I woke up several times. It was the most horrible night I ever had!
Regarding the "help" - no room service, no breakfast, no free wifi, nothing...i and beside the rude lady when we arrived we never saw anyone in the desk. They gave us a key of the main door and we got in and out whenever we wanted.

The basic requirement of any hotel room, cheap or expensive is: to sleep - this hotel doesn't even complies with this.

Do yourself a favor and don't stay here. Sleeping in the car is much better!
I don't even qualify this as an hotel... for me it was a bunch of rooms that some greedy person decided to rent. About the contract they gave us at the beginning... honestly in the middle of the night desperate to fall sleep even for a little while I wished I had a baseball bat...

4  Thank Sofia B
Reviewed September 18, 2012

You get what you pay. The room as itself was nice, clean, comfortable. The bathroom was clean all the time. At the next corner is a bus station (destination to the Ferry Building). The Painted Ladies are just one block away. A washer and a dryer is available (for 1,50 Dollar each).

But yes, it is loud. If someone is sensitive for noise, he should bring earplugs. And there is no elevator (so if you have very heavy bags, you will have hard times)

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed September 15, 2012

Fantastic location. Economical rooms. Next time I would pay more somewhere else to have some added comforts. I paid for a superior room, but when I arrived they put us in a deluxe room, which was very small. I asked to be changed to a different room, and they said I may be able to the next day. Well, the next day came and they called me while I was out roaming the city saying that the other room was available, and when I called back no more than two minutes later, they said it wasn't. It was just a bit sketchy. There is no internet, no fan in rooms (they get a bit stale and warm), and the people who work at the front desk seem like they could not care less if you stayed there or not. Not friendly at all. The positives: it is extremely clean. The bathrooms and showers are spotless. I loved the location. However, next time I am in San Fran I will pay more to be treated better and have added amenities.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with friends