“Great, but not worth the wait”

Tony's Pizza Napoletana
Ranked #31 of 5,711 Restaurants in San Francisco
Cuisines: Italian, Pizza
Good for: Bar scene, Romantic, Local cuisine, Families with children
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Breakfast, Lunch, Delivery, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Takeout
Neighborhood: North Beach / Telegraph Hill
Description: Tony's Pizza Napoletana is a state of the art full service restaurant that offers several styles of pizzas which include Neapolitan, Classic American and Italian, Sicilian, Pizza Romana, Gluten Free and New York, Detroit and St. Louis Style and displays seven different types of pizza ovens. A delightful array of antipasti, pastas, insalata, and dolci are available at Tony's including a full bar that includes Italian and California wines, aperitifs, digestives and hand crafted artisan cocktails. At Tony's we pride ourselves in using only the finest ingredients which include fresh herbs and honey from our roof-top garden. We import authentic Neapolitan and Italian products each week and support several locally grown organic farmers and artisan cheese makers. All of our purveyors are specifically picked by Tony Gemignani bringing you the highest quality food or drink right to your table.
Charleston, West Virginia
“Great, but not worth the wait”
Reviewed July 9, 2013

We made the mistake of waiting at Tony's on a Saturday night. The pizza was delicious but I have had gourmet pizza elsewhere that is just as good. I would definitely return if we happened to be there on a slower weeknight, perhaps, but, in my opinion, it just wasn't worth the hour and a half wait.

• Visited June 2013

• Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
California
“Well Worth The Wait”
Reviewed July 7, 2013

On a recent trip to San Francisco I looked to see if I could find any place that had tomato pie. Being an upstate New Yorker, I was raised on tomato pie, but the tomato pie I know is served cold so I was a tad hesitant to try Tony's Jersey Style version, which is fully cooked, but I couldn't NOT try it! So we waited about an hour for a seat and let me tell you, it was worth the wait! Tony's Tomato Pie is what we call "upside down pizza" in Central New York, and I must say that it outdoes those pizzas by a long shot! From the traditional crust, to the delicious sauce, sprinkled with parmesan, oregano, and garlic, this has to be the best pizza that I have ever tasted. We wanted to go back again and again.

• Visited July 2013
New York
“Good place to eat, if the wait's not too long”
Reviewed July 7, 2013

We went to Tony's and were told it was a 2 hour wait---we gave our name but really didn't plan to wait two hours but they called us a hour later to say they had room for our party, so we went. The service was excellent and the food was quite good. I'd give it a solid B+.

Visited July 2013
New York, New York, United States
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Divine”
Reviewed July 7, 2013

This is most definitely the best pizza I have ever had. If you like REAL pizza with a thin crust oppose to the Dominos kind, then you have to try this place. The place is, indeed, packed with customers but it will be worth the wait.

• Visited May 2013
Carrabelle, Florida
“More Than a Slice”
Reviewed July 6, 2013

On a recent trip to SF we decided to give Tony's a try, and they did not disappoint. This place is extremely busy but worth the wait. Even the bar fills up with patrons waiting for a table during prime time. The wine list is just right for a pizza place, good selection but nothing pretentious. The outside tables can make for a great evening of people watching. And there is a carry out window that faces a few first come first serve sidewalk cafe tables.
Given the crowd service was quite good. We tried two different pizzas, our fav was the Americano. Most selections offer the addition of 2 quail eggs as an add-on. While an interesting and trendy addition, 2 quail eggs pretty much disappear on a large pizza. But quail eggs seem to be showing up on more and more menus everywhere as a finishing touch. If pizza is your thing, don't miss the chance to sample Tony's - you won't be disappointed.

• Visited June 2013