“Go the Clam Chowder”

and up
Viator VIP: Early Access to Alcatraz and Exclusive Cable Car Sightseeing Tour
Ranked #5 of 302 Shopping in San Francisco
More attraction details
Owner description: This bakery produces traditional San Francisco sourdough and French breads that can be shipped or mail-ordered.
Reviewed June 3, 2013

We ordered the clam chowder and the tomato soup in the bread bowl with great expectations. We were not let down. The only fault if really being picky was the soup could have been a little hotter for the cool weather outside. Overall we ate it all with a smile at the end. All you can ask for.

Reviewed June 3, 2013

I've heard, and now believe, that Boudin has the best sourdough bread in San Francisco. The Boudin at Fisherman's Wharf is huge. There is an outdoor seating area, upstairs seating area, restaurant, several different lines to order from, a lot of products/merchandise and a demonstration area where you can see their bakers making bread.

My boyfriend convinced me to get Boudin's clam chowder in their sourdough bowl over the other street side vendors in Fisherman's Wharf even though Boudin's one is a bit more expensive and boy, am I glad I listened to him. The clam chowder in the sourdough bowl was amazing. The service was fast and the prices were decent. I think the best deal for the soup is the soup and salad/half a sandwich combo. My boyfriend got one of their grilled cheese sandwiches too and he said it was good as well.

Reviewed May 31, 2013

Tried the clam chowder in a bread bowl (omg, yummy), the waffle with fresh fruit (tastes as good as it smells) and the cheese scramble. The cheese scramble was okay, but the potatoes were probably the highlight. The waffles smell amazingly when you enter the building, and the taste is just as delightful. What I love about the clam chowder is the perfect compliment of the sourdough bread bowl. I generally don't care for bread bowls, but the soup is great and gets even better with the sourdough bread.
What was odd about the service was both the food delivery and the grounds people. First the food delivery people seemed a little confused. Although we were there with only a few other breakfast diners, the food delivery people started asking for receipts in order to figure out what food they still had to deliver. Once we got our food we went outside to enjoy the great weather. Oddly enough, even though we were the only people eating in the outdoor area, the service people came out to clean the grates around the trees. Although there were five different trees to clean around, they decided to come over to the tree right next to our table first. They leaned their broom against our table and proceeded to carry on a loud cell phone conversation while they spent about five plus minutes to clean around the tree.
While I appreciate the fact that the ground are kept very clean, I just can't appreciate the fact they had no consideration for our being able to enjoy our food in a relaxing atmosphere. They could easily have started cleaning any of the other four trees that had no people near them. Why bother the only people sitting outside?

Reviewed May 18, 2013

In New York you get pastrami on rye. In San Francisco you eat crabs... or clam chowder in a bread bowl. You eat sourdough bread from Boudin's!

Outside there is a huge white tower proclaiming the site. The shop has wide glass windows where bakers wearing headsets shape bread into little bears and alligators and interact with pedestrians. Inside you can sample various breads for free or purchase loaves plain, sliced or with a simple spread or in sandwiches. There is a factory bakery upstairs you can tour and learn about the long history of this sourdough starter.

The shop is just adorable for souvenirs. Cute stop along the Wharf area. Very iconic for the city.

Reviewed May 13, 2013

We had clam chowder and awesome sourdough bread here. OMG - both were delicious and this is a must if you visit San Francisco and Fisherman's Wharf!!