Review Highlights
Fabulous Department Store

I remember my parents taking me to Gumps when I was very young, and was always fascinated by the... read more

Reviewed August 8, 2019
L B
Phoenix, Arizona
The end of an era, as we visit hours before the final day before they close.

More than a century of history comes to a close as tastes and styles change, and I am sad to lose... read more

Reviewed December 23, 2018

from $119.00
from $73.00
from $119.00
More Info
See what travelers are saying:
Selected filters
Reviewed January 14, 2018

This 150-year old store is a SF institution. With a primary focus in home-furnishings, here you will find fine china, exquisite crystal, full silver service sets as well as every kind of bric-a-brac and accent pieces possible. While the store is nicely laid out and a great place to window shop, just know that everything is high-end quality with prices to match.

Date of experience: January 2018
Reviewed December 1, 2017

If you only get the catalogs, it is a treat to visit this store. The splendor of the Oriental-themed merchandise, the merchandising, and the old style service from their personnel, is worth a special trip. WE went after Thanksgiving and the Xmas decorations were a bonus. But the real treat is to see the goods up close--spectacular. Also, if you ship, no tax.

Date of experience: November 2017
Reviewed October 29, 2017 via mobile

I was looking for possible gifts for spouse.

Very nice stuff nothing really common.

Could easily spend a lot but it will be good stuff.

Date of experience: October 2017
Reviewed July 31, 2017

One of the most exclusive department stores I've ever been in. They have the top in end in just about anything you could think of from jewelry to clothing to fine china. The prices reflect the personalized service you get the minute you walk in the door. I didn't feel anyone was been snobby, even though you could probably tell I wasn't going to buy anything (and I didn't!). I didn't think that places like this existed any more! It's worth an hour to just browse when you're in San Francisco.

Date of experience: June 2017
Reviewed April 26, 2017

I remember when I was growing up that people talked about Gump’s, and knew that one day I would have to visit and see it for myself. What an enchanting and delightful shop offering exquisite items today as it did in 1861 when Gertrude Gump started the business. They started out selling mirrors and frames. Today, the store offers everything from furniture, rugs, porcelain, crystal, linens, fine designer jewelry, silks, bronzes, jade, and more. It is a feast for your eyes. Anne, in jewelry, was especially helpful to us by explaining the history of the store. The Buddha that is on display is one of the few remaining items from the original store. The décor of the store is stunning.

Date of experience: April 2017