“World Class Muesum Experience”
Review of Legion of Honor

and up
Legion of Honor Museum Admission
Ranked #17 of 544 things to do in San Francisco
More attraction details
Owner description: An outstanding collection of European art in a gorgeous hilltop museum setting.
Useful Information: Stairs / elevator, Bathroom facilities
Bozeman, Montana
38 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 146 helpful votes
“World Class Muesum Experience”
Reviewed January 24, 2011

The Legion of Honor is an architecturally stunning building set amid the natural beauty of Lincoln Park. The building evoks the grand architecture of 18th century Europe and impression presages the delightful art housed in the museum.

If you love art, especially European art, you will want to allow yourself several hours. Here you will find a stunning collection of paintings, sculpture, porcelain, and decorative arts. Unlike most of the famous museums of Europe, the Legion of Honor is remarkably less crowded. This is a world class museum. If you enjoy great art, or if you would like an introduciton to great art, do not miss this experience when you are in San Francisco.

Visited January 2011
2 Thank MontanaVoyager

• Korean first
Portland, OR
161 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 301 helpful votes
“Palace of the Legion of Honor, art exhibits”
Reviewed January 2, 2011

A very nice exhibit from the permanent collections of Rodin sculpture, ranging from small models to very large castings. The other galleries contain a very impressive collection, mostly European, of paintings. But the stunner--run, don't walk--is the temporary exhibition on Japanese Prints in the Age of Impressionism. It starts with a good introduction to the history of Japanese printmaking and morphs a spectacular exposition of the influence of Japanese print makers on Europeans, often with side-by-side examples. The exhibit is a curatorial tour de force and a beautiful counterpoint to the spectacular though crowded Impressionist show at the De Young. Visitors to the Legion of Honor should also stroll toward Lincoln Park's cliffs for a spectacular view of the Golden Gate Bridge and Marin Headlands.

2 Thank GeorgePortland_OR
Bowling Green, KY
40 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 81 helpful votes
“Hidden Gem!”
Reviewed July 7, 2010

After visiting De Young we didn't have high hopes for Legion, but we were pleasantly surprised! The Muni drops you off right in front, and the Museum did remind me of the Louvre.

They had a nice little impressionist exhibit, but theirs was FREE with admission! Yay! And it had pieces I've seen in art books.

My sister is OBSESSED with mummies, so the little mummy exhibit they had was great. Small, but a nice taste. We didn't have a lot of time so we didn't make it around to all the galleries, but we both agreed this was a Museum we would like to further explore. Oh, and I never saw docents giving people nasty looks! This was another one on the City Pass... and you can do both it and De Young if you do them the same day.

2 Thank CorvetteKatie
Los Angeles, California
239 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 373 helpful votes
“European styled museum”
Reviewed April 4, 2010

We have been to San Francisco many times and had never been to this museum. We actually came for the Cartier Exhibit (which was terrific) but were taken with the beauty of the museum collection, its architecture and surroundings. We were on a time crunch before heading to the airport but hope to return for a more indepth visit. The few rooms that we did visit were beautiful with open spaces so you can take time to enjoy each piece of art. We were particularly impressed with the Rodin exhibit, having been to the Rodin museum in Paris, we surprised to see so many of his exceptional sculptures.

2 Thank ZZMimi
Central Coast California
58 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 177 helpful votes
“A mini Louvre & Musee D'orsay right here in SF...C'est Magnifique!!!”
Reviewed February 5, 2010

I don't live in SF but was introduced to this museum around 5 years ago when my son's class went there to visit a Eqyption exhibition. Since then, I have visited 3 times. The 1st time I took my mother who uses canes. They provided a wheelchair for her convenience. The 2nd time my husband and I biked from our hotel on Sutter St. We had no problem finding a bike rack. (We were tired and took the bus back and placed our bikes on the bus bike rack.) 2 days ago I went with my daughter and 2 others to see the Cartier exhibit. Here's the lowdown on this museum: It has works by artists that are in the Louvre ( it has a glass pyramid in the courtyard reminding us of the Louvre)and Musee D'orsay (it has a Monet lillypad painting. a Picasso, Degas etc)
It has a room with Middle Ages artwork. It also has a room that has paneling and furniture in the style of Versaille. It has some Greek Pottery. If anyone has visited those aforementioned museums, they can be overwhelming when trying to view their artwork. This museum is like a "plate of tapas" i.e. a little taste to enjoy. This museum is very enjoyable especially if you are visiting with someone who doesn't like to spend hours going from gallery to gallery. Check the internet for visiting exhibits. The giftshop/bookstore is wonderful. I like the cafe in the basement. The prices are a little high but I have always rec'd high quality food. (you can get soup de jour served with bread and butter for $5.50...on the day I went it was potato leek...mmmm). The staff have always been pleasant. If you like art or at least want to experience a taste of world renowned artists' work, spend a few hours here...Pssst it's free the first Tuesday of the month.

3 Thank labonvoyer