“A Different Side of Disney”

Walt Disney Family Museum
Book In Advance
Buy Tickets Online
More Info
$25.00*
and up
The Walt Disney Family Museum Admission in San...
More Info
$55.00*
and up
San Francisco Golden Gate Bridge Evening Bike Tour
Ranked #15 of 565 things to do in San Francisco
Reviewed January 30, 2014

I really enjoyed visiting the Walt Disney Family Museum in San Francisco on a recent trip to SF in December. The museum exhibits opened up the world and creative genius of Walt Disney -- give yourself at least 2 hours to really soak in the experience. My Teen daughter enjoyed the visit as well as my 11 year old daughter - though they would much have preferred visiting Disneyland. The museum is located in the Presidio - with a fantastic view of the Golden Gate Bridge. Only negative - we were able to cab there from Ghirardelli but no cab would pick us up late in the afternoon on a Friday, so we had to walk about 1.7 miles to dinner.

Write a ReviewReviews (2,340)

Reviewed January 30, 2014

I never knew Walt Disney worked on an ambulance (we have that in common). I knew that Mickey was created on a train trip, but did not the circumstances that lead to the marvelous creation. The Walt Disney Family Museum will provide you with this answer and give you a in depth look into Walt, his life and his family.

You can see all the honors that were bestowed on Walt from Oscars to his numerous honorary college degrees. The museum has audio and video of Walt providing inside scoop on his life and thoughts behind how
Steamboat Willie, Snow White and other Disney hits. There is a room with all the individual drawings of Steamboat Willie.

There are 3 floors of information from movies and back stories to the creation of Disneyland and Walt Disney World. There are thousands of pieces of Walt's life that you can see, hear and read. The full scale model of Disneyland and Walt's train is on display and the stories behind them are wonderful.
Walt was a great family man and the museum tells his story. The cost is $20 per person and if you are a Disney fan like me and you are in San Francisco put this on one of your tour spots.

Reviewed January 28, 2014

The Tyrus Wong exhibit was magical. I could see it over and over. Maybe the museum should permanently expand to highlight the art of Disney's imagineers.

Reviewed January 28, 2014 via mobile

My wife and I had such a wonderful time. We were wonderfully surprised by how comprehensive the general exhibits alone were: We were there for 4 hours and felt we missed a lot. Luckily, we are local and will definitely make a return visit for another walk-thru and to see about the special exhibits (and to partake in the workshops)! We could sum up our experience in saying that as already avid fans of Walt Disney, we came out with an even greater appreciation of his life and legacy! For devoted fans and curious ones alike, visiting the Walt Disney Family Museum is a must-do!

Reviewed January 27, 2014

What an amazing experience. It was absolutely rivetting and would really take two full days to complete in full. I loved every minute of it, and it has a family's caring touch to it, whilst being totally a professional exhibit and memorial to an incredible individual and his family. There is a free shuttle to and from Presidio and the Embacardero.