“Wonderful tastes” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Burmese Kitchen

Burmese Kitchen
Ranked #1,576 of 5,626 Restaurants in San Francisco
Cuisines: Asian, Burmese
Good for: Dining on a budget
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Delivery, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Street Parking, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wine and Beer
Vancouver British Columbia
“Wonderful tastes”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 7, 2013

We asked for something typically Burmese. The tea leaf salad was recommended. It was full of many flavours. We had the chicken in a curry and coconut sauce. It was slow cooked, ample and falling off the bone. It was divine. We also had the beef with lemongrass. Their rich semiola cake for dessert was so good I asked if there was butter in it. There was none. So maybe it was healthy too. The tapioca pudding was so good I want to make it at home. This is a simple restaurant with a chef who can make fantastic flavours. Wonderful. Wonderful.

• Visited January 2013

London, United Kingdom
“Fantastic food - will be back!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 9, 2012

Having been to Burma on vacation before, I was keen to try the cuisine again. My partner had not been to the country or tried the food before, so we were both keen to try and what a delight it was. We decided to stop by as was close to our hotel for an early evening meal.

We told the waiter that we had no idea what to order, but were both very hungry and asked if they could bring out a selection of dishes for us to try.

Started with the Tea Leaf salad and samosa soup. Both had great flavours and the tea leaf salad was a hit with my partner - which was a surprise to me as she normally hates salad. We then followed with the fish chowder which I was told was almost the national dish and dishes of chicken curry, spicy beef and egg plant.

Everything we eat was very good and I was impressed at how fresh and light the meat dishes were. Not oily or too hot to handle.

Will definitely come back if in the area again.

• Visited October 2012
2 Thank TinoBest
Pacifica, California, United States
“So good, I can't wait to go back.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 18, 2012

Meet my son once a week around the Larkin and Turn area of Civic Center SF. Dicey area. Today we had an amazing meal at Burmese Kitchen. First impressions were positive due to nice decor; nice people, and quiet. Rare for this area. My son ordered a lunch combo with Curry Chicken and Pumpkin Stew. He was in heaven. I tasted his stew and it really was well made and delicious.
I ordered Tea Salad. This has tea leaves; peanuts; soy nuts; sesame seeds and many more ingredients, but together the taste is phenomenal.
One other dish caught my eye: Fish Stew. I asked for a description expecting shrimp or fried fish cakes. No! It contains steamed white fish with tamarind and other vegetables. I will definitely try this next time I'm in the area.
Their lunch combos are economical, and they are very flexible in what you can combine. I can't wait.

• Visited September 2012
1 Thank Howard S
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Love it”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 30, 2012 via mobile

Found this little Gem while wandering near CityHall. Definitely a "must try" if you are into South East Asia food. The combo meals are nicely portion and delicious

1 Thank Kinmen
San Francisco, California
“Reasonable price and convenient location with food that is fair to good”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 10, 2012

We had the beef, chicken curry and tamarind fish with sides of eggplant dish. We liked the eggplant the best; the rest were OK, slightly spicy and stew like (similar to consistency of adobo). The restaurant is near the federal building & Civic Center, where we had to go. Dish combo was around $8 each.

• 3 of 5 bubbles