Tripadvisor

Reviewed October 6, 2019
chinatraveller
Cairns, Australia
via mobile

All reviews his knowledge day trip dylan yosemite adventure hike beauty hiking stories
Selected filters
Reviewed January 3, 2020

Its very simple. If you want to see Yosemite properly, go with Dylan. This trip was the highlight of a very memorable two week holiday which had many many great moments, so I cannot give a bigger compliment than that. There are so many little things that Dylan does during the trip - so much attention to detail - that makes this such an extraordinary tour. I wont give the game away and ruin it for you - you will just need to trust me that as someone who has done more than his fair share of touring, Dylan is one of the best tour guides around.

I also want to point out his love for Yosemite and his knowledge that he shared with us. We learned so much. It was great chatting with him. But he also knew when to hang back and give us some time to ourselves, which is the sign of a real professional.

I cannot report any negatives whatsoever from our two days with Dylan. He is a very wise head on young shoulders. Contact him if you are heading to Yosemite - you wont be disappointed.

Date of experience: January 2020
2  Thank SJL1605
Reviewed October 6, 2019 via mobile

“This was an amazing 3 day trip! There were so many highlights... our outstanding, kind, patient, amazing leader Dylan! What an absolute saint. He was so organized and insightful ! The hiking was challenging but the views made it totally worth the effort. Honestly I cannot think of a way this trip could have been better. We were so well cared for and it is definitely an active adventure!” Thankyou White wolf Tours!!! Will definitely be recommending you to all!!

Date of experience: October 2019
Reviewed August 24, 2019

My family (me, my husband, and two kids in their mid twenties) enjoyed the trip of a lifetime: a three-night backpacking adventure in one of the most beautiful places on Earth with a consummate professional and all-around great guy: Dylan Gallagher. I can't say enough great things about this experience.

Dylan's philosophy is planned obsolescence: He teaches you so, next time, you can do it by yourself. It starts on the phone as he carefully and amiably asks what you are dreaming for your trip. He explores your experience and fitness, likes and dislikes, and creates a list of experiences that you can choose from. He navigates the byzantine Yosemite reservation process. About a month before the trip begins, he sends you a detailed, easily navigated list of things to pack (and things not to pack), tips, specifics on the pre-trip training and other essential stuff to know. He meets with everyone for two-hours in the days before the trip. (In our case, because my family of four was coming from different directions and had complex schedules, he held two training sessions.) At this meeting, he brings your already-packed backpack. (He provides all the supplies ... top notch equipment in terrific condition. Some folks, I hear, simply purchase the whole kit-n-kaboodle after their tours. We didn't do that, but I can understand the temptation as it is all so organized and high quality.) You unpack and repack it together, and he explains the reason for every item and trains you on how to use it. He goes, step-by-step, through the safety and other protocols associated with backpacking in Yosemite. He brings a BOUNTY of food options for you to choose from. (And this last bit isn't the end; he brings still more on the trip itself, both in the car and secreted away in his backpack, which is not only filled with his stuff but with all sorts of other back-ups and treats that he surprises you with throughout the trip: #hammock)

On the first day of the adventure, he arrives at about 6am in his beautiful Mercedes van. Make no mistake, while you're roughing it, Dylan makes sure you are roughing it in style. You're not glamping, it's better ... camping and cared for, too. Dylan packs up the vehicle and off you go. As you wend your way to Yosemite, he regales you on history, geology, astronomy, agriculture, climate. Unless you are sleepy. Then he quiets down. This is an important point: Dylan intuits what you want. Feeling chatty? He is an affable, funny, knowledgeable companion. Feeling tired or meditative? He recedes. This makes him the ideal guide ... there when you need him, but allowing you space to soak up the beauty of Yosemite when you're feeling awe-inspired. Also, he curates a fine music experience in the van. At some points, we were singing along!

The tour started in the Valley, with stops at the must-see sites: Half Dome, Bridal Falls, and a picnic lunch in the shadow of El Cap, watching the free-climbers scale the immense granite wall. Then, we headed to the high country with our first overnight at a camp where we could begin to acclimate to the elevation. We set up camp. (Dylan was accessible, but didn't hover. He encouraged us to figure it out ourselves, and stepped in when we were all thumbs.) He treated us to dinner at the camp restaurant -- a welcome luxury as we prepared for three days of roughing it. Then we headed off to sleep, with the wind murmuring through the evergreens.

The next two days were hikes in the high country, moving from camp to camp. My favorite was the last one ... on a pristine lake that mirrored the mountains and the stars. We saw wildlife, swam in waterfalls, watched the sunset, and gaped at satellites whizzing by. We sat around the campfire and relaxed in the hammock. We unplugged from all our devices for 3 straight days (#heaven). We stretched ourselves physically (the middle hike was quite an accomplishment), and we reconnected to one another.

The entire time, we were in excellent hands. We felt safe and prepared. We felt like we were getting the insiders experience ... figuring out Yosemite like locals. And we had a great time with a guy who felt like a friend. Do I think we could do it ourselves next time? Yes, absolutely. But that would be a shame, because Dylan is awesome, and we'd miss him.

Book your Yosemite backpacking adventure with Dylan. You'll be so glad you did ... you'll never forget it!

Date of experience: August 2019
Reviewed July 2, 2019

At the suggestion of the Fairmont Hotel's concierge we took a tour with Dylan and White Wolf Private Tours to Yosemite.
Our day began at 5:30am when we were picked up at the hotel in a perfect Mercedes SUV to start our 3 and a half hour ride to Yosemite. Once on our way, Dylan explained all the things we would see and made a stop half way there to pick up sandwiches for everyone, built to each one's specs, really good.
Once we got to Yosemite we wanted to hike so Dylan took us to Sanford Point on the ridge above the Yosemite Valley where we had incredible views. I'm sure not everyone is up to a 10km hike but this made our day and allowed us to really experience the beauty of the place.
Overall our experience was wonderful and Dylan is a great tour operator.
I would highly recommend that anyone who wants to get the real flavour in San Francisco, you must use Dylan's excellent services!
I will do it again

Date of experience: July 2019
Reviewed January 17, 2019 via mobile

Excellent half-day tour of San Francisco. As well as the main sights, Dylan took me to some off-the-beaten-track places that I had no idea existed. His knowledge of the history and culture was great, and he gave me lots of ideas for restaurants and bars to visit on the rest of my trip. It was a rainy day but there was plenty planned to see on the tour so the weather didn't hinder my experience of San Francisco.
Strongly recommend.