“Very good food, great asset to the neighborhood”
Review of Capo's

Capo's
Reserve with OpenTable
Capo's is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #318 of 5,922 Restaurants in San Francisco
Cuisines: Pizza
Dining options: Reservations
Neighborhood: Chinatown
Description: Celebrating classic Chicago-style cuisine with an emphasis on authenticity and quality of ingredients, the menu dishes up favorites like true Chicago-style pizza served on four types of crust: Deep Dish, Cast Iron Pan, Stuffed, and Cracker Thin. Each style is made with Ceresota Flour from one of the oldest mills in Chicago. Capo’s signature dish is marked by the Quattro Forni pizza, taking Gemignani’s World Pizza Championship winning dish, the Tre Forni, to the next level by cooking it four different times as opposed to three; and is limited to 10 per day due to extensive specialized preparations. House specialties include the house-made calabrese and sweet fennel sausages served in a variety of dishes like the the House-Made Honey and Calabrese; and The Outfit “Antipasti Platter” with assorted Italian deli meats hand sliced daily on the antique slicer in the restaurant. Wood-fired baked pastas include Conchiglie and Mostaccioli; other retro classics are highlighted by Chicken Vesuvio with a classic sauce of white wine, garlic, lemon and peas.
Reviewed January 3, 2013

We were there during opening day when the neighborhood merchants were treated to a variety of food to be served to clients. A great menu, a great bar menu, lots of choices, a Chicago Style restaurant with a lot of ambiance.

We came back with some friends a week or so later and continued to be happy about the food. We were treated to a very nice soup 'on the house', a generous portion. The pasta dishes were excellent and there was lots of it. Enough pasta to share. The garlic bread was a nice addition, the beer was good.

One thing, bring cash. No credit cards accepted.

Reviewed January 18, 2011

Waited an hour in the area yesterday afternoon to enjoy their famous pizza, but then found out the Pulcinella is closed on Mondays. It only says opening 5:30PM in the window, it would have helped to see that they're closed one day a week.
Will give it one more try...

Reviewed October 28, 2010

I have been twice on our annual family trip to San Francisco...last year, the restaurant's first, the food was exquisite. This year, we had to change our reservation due to time constraints and were late...The owners not only kept the restaurant open for us, they made an entree for me that is no longer on the menu, simply because I asked about it the day before, when changing our reservation. This kind of service is amazing. They don't know us and they also know that we had only been there once before. The food is fantastic and the owners are caring and warm in the true Italian sense.

Reviewed April 19, 2010

First let me say, the food was good, and the restaurant atmosphere is super charming....had so many other things not gone wrong, then I would probably go back again. Second, my disclaimer is that I had a gift certificate purchased through Groupon (applies later). I purchased the $50 gift certificate in December, and it was valid for six months, so I wanted to use it before it expired.
The website stated hours of Tu-Su 11:30 - 2:30 for lunch, then 5:00 to 10:00 for dinner. So I took a Wednesday off and drove with a friend out there for a lovely lunch. They were not open at 12:00....we walked around a bit, and they were still not open at 12:30, so we changed our plans.....went elsewhere for lunch and hung around NB and Chinatown until 5:00.....the door was unlocked, but the manager(?) told us they wouldn't open until 5:30.....more walking, at least it was a great day.
Push that aside, we finally were allowed in and we ordered. The mushroom/buffalo mozzarella pizza was awesome, as was the very fresh soup of the day. The bread they served was basically, the pizza dough in a different shape, which was disappointing. The North Beach pizza was good, but not great. I have definitely had better Neapolitan pizza in California, so this was not up to the hype of the website. The service was attentive, but not overly so.
When we ordered dessert, they said our choice (torta al limone) had just come out of the oven, and was too hot to serve....huh??? (a lie?) Again, I let it go...We ordered instead the frozen lemon gelato, which was divine, no big loss.
Then the final frustration...our bill came to $72 and change....the groupon was for $50, so there was $22 and tip left for my credit card.....the manager came again and asked us to pay cash because there was a $25 minimum for credit card purchases....once I explained that I had enough cash on me for the balance, but not the tip, he changed his policy.
On the way out, we mentioned that the website showed their hours differently, and the manager (?!) said that lunch hours will start next week. (at this point, he had no credibility, so I sincerely doubt his answer.)
I like to give people (and restaurants) the benefit of the doubt. Maybe the real manager couldn't make it in that day, and things went horribly awry....I don't think I will give them a second chance, only because there are so many great choices in the area, and the pizza wasn't THAT great!

Reviewed April 12, 2010

This new family owned restuarant is friendly, helpful and wonderful service. We had the pizza and it was like you left San Francisco and stepped into a pizzeria in Napoli. The chef has been making pizza in Napoli since he was 8 years old.
We recommend you not miss this wonderful little Italy experience. We plan to return when we are in San Francisco.

Been to Capo's? Share your experiences!