“Great way to see and taste napa in a short time without driving.”

Tower Tours - San Francisco Sightseeing Specialist
The Ultimate Wine Experience Day Trip to Napa and Sonoma
Ranked #22 of 114 Food & Drink in San Francisco
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: Tower Tours is your #1 Choice for Sightseeing in and around San Francisco! Choose from the Grand City Tour, Muir Woods Tour, Wine Country Tour, Monterey & Carmel Tour, Twilight Tour, Yosemite Tour and more! Tower Tours also offers tour packages to include Alcatraz, Golden Gate Bay Cruise, Aquarium of the Bay at Pier 39, and the Exploratorium. Come by and book a tour today!
Useful Information: Wheelchair access
Reviewed June 26, 2010

we desperately wanted to go to Napa valley during our very short trip to san francisco and didn't see the point of driving ourselves there and back to have to spit the wine out so we opted for a day trip with tower tours and are very glad we did.

now, we don't usually like organized coach tours. i couldn't think of anything worse than following a tour guide with clip board held aloft and a hundred people round but we wanted to see napa and spitting wine out is against our religion so we fell on the sword and booked the trip with trepidation knowing we would love it or hate it, probably the latter.

however, we were pleasantly surprised at the value and enjoyment. the coach picked us up at 7.55am and took us to the main office where there was a little wait to get everyone checked in and onto the right coach. we then set off for napa over the bay bridge for our first winery. madonna winery was very nice and the only winery that gave any information about the actual wine making process. we got lots of very nice wines to taste with a lovely host. we bought a bottle of pinot noir, so far so good.

we then went to sutter home winery and sampled three wines which were ok.

we drove to sonoma for lunch which was just idillic. a gorgeous place around a central square park with lots of shops and restaurants. we were given an hour and a quarter which seemed a long time but actually went very quickly and we would have loved to have spent longer there but as the driver said timing was crucial to fit everything in. we actually left a few passengers there as they were late getting back to the coach, they still haven't been found! (only joking - the driver went back for them whilst we enjoyed the next winery rather than holding up the whole coach which i thought was great)

the last winery was the best - cline wines. this is in beautiful surroundings and has an incredible vast barrel room (they hold weddings here which looked spectacular!). the two hosts were very very funny and the wine flowed. those who wanted to (and we did) could follow to a marquee to sample more wines (as many as you wanted), it was a little like an informal cocktail party and i was having a great time. we bought two bottles of syrah.

reluctantly we boarded the coach for our journey home across the golden gate bridge. the driver would drop you off wherever you wanted, fisherman's wharf or back at your hotel.

overall a great day. good value, good hosts and great wines.

Reviewed June 15, 2010

Not sure if Tower Tours or if the driver Pete (Driver) generated but an info sheet was given to each guest. This info sheet had general info about wine corkage fees, etc. that was taken off the Internet. Included in this sheet was how to tip, drivers, waiters, bellmen, etc. We believe this is not the format to provide an education on tipping. TMI from Pete (Driver) about his personal life. If I were his wife I would have left him long ago. He doesn't seem like he could keep a job very long at any one place. Not sure if that's the truth but that's the impression we got. Some of what he said was funny but other things came off rude. The pluses ~ He was on time and we could always find him. I have mixed emotions whether to recommend this attraction to a friend but we did see some nice scenery and tasted some so-so wines. The pourers in the inside tasting room at Cline were rude, appeared that they didn't like their job very much. Too bad ~ it could have been fabulous and we would have purchased something.

Reviewed May 3, 2010

I'm a big fan of wine, but I've never been on a wine country tour before. Being on a budget, I opted for the cheapest one I could find (CDN$61).

You get decent bang for your buck: Harold was really funny and gave us all a good mix of comedic comentary and informative history about the area, and he's an amazing driver, getting us to Napa/Sonoma in record time and manouvering a huge tour bus through San Francisco's narrow and winding streets with ease.

I went to three wineries on the tour: Madonna Estates (a smaller, family-run winery), Sutter Home (a big-box winery) and Cline Cellars (a boutique winery).

If you're looking for more info on wine making itself and the wine industry in California, LOOK ELSE WHERE because only the Madonna Estates stop provided a tour of their vineyards and facilities; the other two wineries were more about self-promotion in their decked-out sales halls, BUT you also have to consider that all the wine tasting fees have been included in the tour fare, you can have as much wine as you want when sampling, and you also get to make a nice, relaxing pitstop in downtown Sonoma to look around.

All in all, you get what you pay for, and this tour's great for the inexperienced/new fans to wine, those who are looking to experience the wine itself, and for those on a budget.

Reviewed April 17, 2010

This tour was a great intro to SF. this was my first time here and my tour guide Harold had the right blend of humor and facts. Friendly, courteous and superior service!!!

Reviewed February 17, 2010

I took the city tour in December 2009. Driver was on time picking me up from my hotel on the morning of the tour. Tour company called the night before to re-confirm pickup which was nice too. Larry was our guide. I went on the tour expecting just a city tour. What I got was a great education and excellent value. There were only about 10 people on the tour which included Presidio, Golden Gate Bridge, Golden Gate Park, Twin Peaks, Financial and Tenderloin Districts, Chinatown, Castro and more. This was the BEST city tour I ever took.