“Make the trip up the stairs. You'll be glad you did!”

Hong Kong Clay Pot Restaurant
Ranked #282 of 5,776 Restaurants in San Francisco
Cuisines: Chinese
Good for: Local cuisine, Families with children
Neighborhood: Chinatown
Reviewed February 8, 2014

Don't let the fact that you have to walk up a set of stairs off the street dissuade you from trying this great little restaurant. I took the plunge and was treated to one of the best authentic Chinese meals I've had. The restaurant's appearance inside is very unassuming. As one person mentioned, it does almost feel like you've entered someone's house. That being said, if you are OK with that, and stay for a meal you can see why this is popular with the local clientele. Delicious options that differ from many of those I've found in Chinese restaurants in other parts of the country. I tried one of the clay pot dinners. Delicious! The icing on the cake is that it is a great value and the service was very nice. I look forward to returning..

1  Thank Edward D
There are newer reviews for Hong Kong Clay Pot Restaurant

Reviewed December 28, 2013

Had dinner at the Hong Kong Clay Pot, we had the set menu B - which was more than enough food for 3 people. The service was very good and the food very tasty. As others have mentioned the decor and stairs are 'interesting' but then I guess you don't go there for the look of the place. Would go back again for a good meal at a reasonable price. Worth the walk through China Town to get to.

Reviewed October 30, 2013

We looked for a nice chinese restaurant online while in San Francisco and came across this one, the reviews were great. When you walk into this place up a narrow staircase and walk into what looks like someone's front room we were apprehensive, but the service was excellent and the food was the best chinese meal we have ever had. We should have guessed it was ok as all the other people in the restaurant were chinese. Would recommend highly if you want an authentic chinese meal in Chinatown.

Reviewed October 26, 2013

You know you're in the right place when your group is the only non-Chinese speaking party in the restaurant! Hong Kong Clay Pot Restaurant is at the top of a steep, narrow staircase on Grant Street. It is not flashy in the least; the decor is understated and simple. The room is furnished with simple tables and chairs; tables by the window allow patrons to look down on busy Grant Street. The food is outstanding and the service excellent; our party of 4 - 2 adults and 2 teens - went in for lunch based on Yelp reviews. We were not disappointed. My husband had the House Special Noodle Soup, which was filled with meat and vegetables. A generous portion indeed! My son had the beef chow mein, again, a generous portion of noodles, vegetables, and delicious beef. My daughter had the egg flower soup, and claimed it was some of the best she has tasted. I had the porridge with seafood; rice in broth with seafood. It was delicious! I would go back to Hong Kong Clay Pot again in a heartbeat!

2  Thank Xanadu64
Reviewed October 2, 2013

Came here based on reviews on here as we wanted a good restaurant in china town. We weren't sure we'd got the right place when we found it as it's at the top of a very grotty looking staircase!

But we went for it anyway and the food was pretty good. I'm sure it was authentic and there was a lot of things on the menu that i'd never had at a Chinese restaurant before such as jelly fish!

Have to say we weren't that brave this time though! But the food we did have was definitely good and there was a huge amount of it. Maybe being used to very westernised restaurants I found the atmosphere a bit awkward, a bit like we were outsiders, which we probably were to be fair! But it did take away from my enjoyment a bit to be honest.

2  Thank adamcobb