“Great Chinese food”

Cuisines: Chinese
Good for: Local cuisine, Families with children
Neighborhood: Chinatown
Reviewed November 3, 2012

Located in the heart of Chinatown this small upstairs place had authentic cuisines. Probably top 3 Chinese dishes I've had. Try the chicken clay pot! It's delicious

2  Thank Jrralmeida
There are newer reviews for Hong Kong Clay Pot Restaurant

Reviewed November 1, 2012

If unafraid of younger, more local crowd and second floor walk-up, this place is for you!!

Clay-pot contents were "good-to-the-last-drop."

I ate there twice when on business trip in Downtown San Francisco.

Menu is bargain priced - I agree with redAzleTX that any chowhound stopping through town should visit this place.

Its an authentic Asian casual-dining experience.

Tip: "Closed" on Wednesdays

Tip: street parking is hit or miss everywhere in Downtown San Francisco.

3  Thank hayzeus29
Reviewed August 10, 2012

Read about this place on Chowhound. Almost walked right by. But we went up the stairs to find it full of Asian families enjoying their meals family style. We had the calamari and the honey walnut shrimp and a pot of tea. Both meals were large and tasty. Would go there again if in San Fran.

3  Thank redAzleTX
Reviewed July 22, 2012

We couldn't wait to get our teeth in some yummy Chinese food. We waited until we were down in China town for some authentic cuisine. We found this little hole in the wall. The food was excellent and cheap. We were all very satisfied. They close at 3:00 so the staff can eat and rest and open back up again at 5:00 for dinner. This is definatley worth another visit when we come back for a visit.

1  Thank nwarners66
Reviewed February 19, 2012

I rated this restaurant Excellent in service, food, value, and atmosphere. Now let me explain that. The service was fast and efficient as you would expect in a busy restaurant. Servers friendly but not chatty. The atmosphere: when I went in at 11:50 AM (my brunch), I was the only Cauc-asian there. When I left about forty-five minutes later, there were two additional Cauc-asian couples. For me, this is good news so I rated the atmosphere excellent. The atmosphere is busy and the decor simple. The food was just delicious. I ordered broccoli beef and vegetarian spring rolls. I was very satisfied. Not very adventurous but I was hungry and didn't want to take any chances. The food was hot, fresh and under $10.00. I even had enough for dinner!

Many of the reviews talk about how difficult this restaurant is to find. Not true if you are on the side of the street opposite the restaurant then you can see a large sign...so if you are coming up Grant Avenue (heading toward the piers, Fisherman's Wharf, from the Washington Street end of Grant, etc.) stay on the left side of Grant and you will see a big sign on the right hand side just before you reach Jackson. If you are walking downtown toward Market Street, stay on the right side of Grant. You will come to Jackson and Grant and the restaurant it is almost on the corner on the left hand side. If you walk from Jackson to Washington without seeing it, you have gone too far so just head back (on the left side of the street) and you can't miss it. I hope this isn't too confusing...I did miss it twice because I kept walking UNDER the sign.

I have also read that the stairs can been tricky if you have difficulty walking...skip the restaurant scene and eat your take-out Hong Kong Clay Pot food in the park that might be more fun anyway. I found the stairs well lit and easy to trek up...(me: not a particularly fit retired person). It is a good solid pick in an area of the city where the choices can be dizzying and sometimes disappointing for the hungry traveler.

4  Thank Dianclair