“Don't walk by- go upstairs!”

Hong Kong Clay Pot Restaurant
Ranked #275 of 5,946 Restaurants in San Francisco
Cuisines: Chinese
Good for: Families with children, Local cuisine
Neighborhood: Chinatown
Reviewed August 10, 2012

Read about this place on Chowhound. Almost walked right by. But we went up the stairs to find it full of Asian families enjoying their meals family style. We had the calamari and the honey walnut shrimp and a pot of tea. Both meals were large and tasty. Would go there again if in San Fran.

3  Thank redAzleTX

Reviewed July 22, 2012

We couldn't wait to get our teeth in some yummy Chinese food. We waited until we were down in China town for some authentic cuisine. We found this little hole in the wall. The food was excellent and cheap. We were all very satisfied. They close at 3:00 so the staff can eat and rest and open back up again at 5:00 for dinner. This is definatley worth another visit when we come back for a visit.

1  Thank nwarners66
Reviewed February 19, 2012

I rated this restaurant Excellent in service, food, value, and atmosphere. Now let me explain that. The service was fast and efficient as you would expect in a busy restaurant. Servers friendly but not chatty. The atmosphere: when I went in at 11:50 AM (my brunch), I was the only Cauc-asian there. When I left about forty-five minutes later, there were two additional Cauc-asian couples. For me, this is good news so I rated the atmosphere excellent. The atmosphere is busy and the decor simple. The food was just delicious. I ordered broccoli beef and vegetarian spring rolls. I was very satisfied. Not very adventurous but I was hungry and didn't want to take any chances. The food was hot, fresh and under $10.00. I even had enough for dinner!

Many of the reviews talk about how difficult this restaurant is to find. Not true if you are on the side of the street opposite the restaurant then you can see a large sign...so if you are coming up Grant Avenue (heading toward the piers, Fisherman's Wharf, from the Washington Street end of Grant, etc.) stay on the left side of Grant and you will see a big sign on the right hand side just before you reach Jackson. If you are walking downtown toward Market Street, stay on the right side of Grant. You will come to Jackson and Grant and the restaurant it is almost on the corner on the left hand side. If you walk from Jackson to Washington without seeing it, you have gone too far so just head back (on the left side of the street) and you can't miss it. I hope this isn't too confusing...I did miss it twice because I kept walking UNDER the sign.

I have also read that the stairs can been tricky if you have difficulty walking...skip the restaurant scene and eat your take-out Hong Kong Clay Pot food in the park that might be more fun anyway. I found the stairs well lit and easy to trek up...(me: not a particularly fit retired person). It is a good solid pick in an area of the city where the choices can be dizzying and sometimes disappointing for the hungry traveler.

4  Thank Dianclair
Reviewed January 14, 2012

We had trouble picking a restaurant in Chinatown because there are hundreds, so we turned to Yelp, which gave the Clay Pot a glowing review. Unfortunately I think it was overrun by tourists with a poor palate because the food was just okay and didn't feature as many authentic dishes as I'd hoped. I ordered the fish clay pot, which was nothing spectacular. The fish was well cooked and dish flavorful, but I ended up combining it with my friend's noodle dish because her's lacked flavor. Combined the dish was okay, but I've had better and hope this is not the best around.

Reviewed January 8, 2012

We found this restaurant highly recommended on Yelp. We were especially encouraged to try this place when we found that the restaurants our concierge recommended were considered "touristy". I know they say that the worse the ambience of a Chinese restaurant the better the restaurant - and it was partly true. The restaurant is accessed from a narrow staircase from the street level. Its a very small restaurant, but it was packed. The clientele was mostly Asian except for a couple tables other than ours. I was put off by the dirtiness of the table, but surprisingly, the service was relatively friendly. The Honey Walnut Prawns were very delicious, but very small serving. The spring rolls with sweet and sour sauce were also very tasty.

1  Thank fettuchi2