“Friday night, no reservation needed”
Review of 5A5 Steak Lounge

5A5 Steak Lounge
Reserve with OpenTable
5A5 Steak Lounge is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #503 of 5,693 Restaurants in San Francisco
Cuisines: Steakhouse
Good for: Romantic, Business meetings, Special occasions, Bar scene
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighborhood: Financial District
Cross street: Battery Street
Description: A stylish & modern take on the traditional steakhouse, blending the ambiance of a contemporary restaurant with that of a vibrant cocktail lounge. We serve the best, top quality steaks from around the world - US Certified Angus Beef and Australian 'Kobe' and the grade A5 100% Japanese Wagyu - highest grade of beef in the world. Our menu is also very accommodating with several non-red meat options and different sized portions available. Great for an outing with friends, a business dinner, or a romantic evening on the town- 5A5 caters to those looking for outstanding food & service complemented by a fun & upbeat dining experience. 5A5 - 5 senses / the A5 experience
“Friday night, no reservation needed”
Reviewed May 6, 2013

Our dinner plans fell through and I had to find a table for 7 people on a Friday night at 8:30pm. We had a 30 minute wait, but they got us a table. Food was great. Service was excellent.

Visited April 2013

Allentown, Pennsylvania
“Very good steak.”
Reviewed March 31, 2013

5A5 Has a posh, shi-shi semi-Japanese ambience. This is not a run-of-the-mill hibachi steakhouse, but a nice, modern restaurant with a comfortable bar/lounge area. On the evening of my visit, there was a pianist playing live music (he was kind enough to play Corcovado at my request).

I received an amuse-bouche on a large spoon after I placed my order. I couldn't hear the description. I think it had boursin cheese in it.

I started with the daikon soup with blue crab, which was lovely. The slices of apple were a nice complement, but the bits of nori that were used as a garnish were a bit overpowering for the otherwise subtle and elegant soup.

I received a small palate cleanser after my soup. Again, I couldn't hear the description, but I think it was some kind of mango or papaya paste--just a tiny little square.

For my main course, I initially ordered the 15oz. prime rib, but it was no longer available. I ordered the 25oz. dry aged bone-in ribeye instead. It was was nicely seared on the outside and perfectly rare inside, just like I ordered it. It was a huge slab of beef, served with a roasted red onion that had been prepared with a balsamic marinade.

At the server's suggestion I enjoyed a glass of Davis Bynum Pinot Noir from the Russian River Valley, which was outstanding.

Service was friendly and attentive.

I sat on a banquette in the lounge area. It was a very comfortable. The piano music was very enjoyable, although it made it difficult to hear the server. It was worth the trade off, though.

The restrooms are a bit of a challenge. They're in the basement, and there are multiple individual unisex stalls (with red lights that indicate whether they're occupied or not, but it's difficult to tell which light is associated with which stall) surrounding a communal sink with somewhat confusing taps. The soap dispensers are not intuitively located. Good luck if nature calls after you're in your cups.

Overall, I enjoyed my meal at 5A5, but the steak is no better or worse for the price than other restaurants service steak in the same neighborhood (Alfred's and Wayfare Tavern also have good steaks and are within a few blocks of 5A5). That said, the atmosphere would be perfect for a date.

• Visited March 2013
Salt Lake City, Utah
“Good but a bit pretentious”
Reviewed March 29, 2013 via mobile

Everything we ate was delicious but it seemed like they were trying too hard. Example: the "strawberries and cream" dessert was a plate with probably one strawberry cut into 8 pieces and two dollops of panna cotta and ice cream. Yes it was an artistic presentation but there was barely enough food on the plate to enjoy the taste.

San Francisco, California
“$100-dollar Wagyu Kobe Steak imported from Japan.”
Reviewed March 12, 2013

We came here to try the Kobe Steak and it was actually really good. The problem is the price tag. Each 4-oz. Wagyu Kobe Steak is over $100 dollars. I guess considered it was directly imported from Japan, the real-deal Kobe steak, it is worth the price?

They have 4 different cuts: Fillet, NY, Rib-eye, and Rib Cap. We find the Fillet the best one. Since Kobe steak is already really fatty, the fattest cut, Rib Cap, was just way too much for us. It was like eating pure fat. Way too rich and greasy for us.

Bottom-line: If you can stomach a $100-dollar 4-oz steak, give it a try, otherwise, go with their cross-bred Wagyu steak. It is about $60 dollars and we found it to be really delicious as well.

Not sure if I'd come back again because of the price but I do think that their steak is really good.

• Visited March 2013
San Francisco, California
“Excellent service, nice atmosphere, good steak and great side dishes”
Reviewed January 27, 2013

5A5 was a second choice for dinner because we couldn't get in to the Greek place next door. 5A5 was very good overall, known for Wagyu and other types of high-end beef, I stuck to the traditional filet, which was very good. I began with a Manhattan which was excellent, and an excellent pour. The caesar salad was also very, very good where the dressing is more lemon juice-based than others, less creamy, but nice on the garlic and anchovy. The steak was very good, not the best I'd had, but definitely a good steak. For purists, you would want to ask them to hold their steak toppings... I can't recall just what the sauce they used on the steak was, but it did somewhat make me wonder if the sauce or topping wasn't overpowering the flavor of the filet. The side dishes were superb: chard (or was it kale?) with parmesan and another dish of mushrooms. The service was exemplary and we couldn't have asked for a warmer welcome and even a sincere "thank you so much for trying our menu" upon departure. The place was quite busy for a Thursday night, so I don't think that 5A5 lacks from endorsements, but I'll give them one anyway. A very nice dinner overall.

• Visited December 2012