“An Interesting Visit”

and up
San Francisco Explorer Pass
Ranked #126 of 558 things to do in San Francisco
More attraction details
Owner description: This museum houses fascinating and sometimes controversial exhibits on Jewish history and culture.
Reviewed June 1, 2012

this museum is a must for us in san francisco, always full of surprises and close to the SFMOMA. Trees were the subject this month and wonderfully done, with a great tour by a friendly and knowledgeable staff member

Reviewed May 25, 2012

This small museum was close to our hotel. It gave us several fun hours of touring and a lovely lunch. There was an exhibit providing a insightful history of San Francisco as well as another exhibit with some great music highlighting Black- Jewish connections.

Reviewed April 23, 2012

Fascinating place. Makes very interesting connections and presents them in a fun, light way. Interesting how they integrated the Daniel Liebeskind annex. Not preachy. Just informative, beautiful - & fun!! Didn't expect it to be so provocative - & glad I was talked into going. Now, I would recommend it unhesitatingly. GO - you'll like it!!

Reviewed March 27, 2012

went on the architecture tour. Even though it is rather modern for my taste, the guide gave a great summary of the history of the building and the renovation by the architect Daniel Liebeskind. Liked the exhibits, apparently they change often. The one on black singers and Jewish songs was educational and enjoyable.

Reviewed February 20, 2012

Several friends and I visited the Contemporary Jewish Museum the first Tuesday in February, which is a free admission day. Otherwise, admission is about $10 for seniors. It is easy to access from a BART train station approximately 2-3 blocks. When we visited they were giving tours of a special exhibit depicting the Jewish influence in San Francisco dating from the days of the gold rush of the 1840's to the present day. Another exhibit demonstrated the Jewish influence on black musicians, where the guests could listen to the black musicians on head sets. The exhibits we saw were interesting, but I was looking for more historical Jewish information. I guess this is why it is called the Contemporary Jewish Museum.
We had lunch at the museum and I was a bit disappointed in my choice of sandwich.
Overall it was an interesting visit, but probably will not go back again.

1  Thank kato