“Chef Berthold Keeps on Delivering”
Review of RN74

Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Neighborhood: SoMa
Cross street: Fremont and Beale
Transit: BART: Embarcadero Muni - F: Market St & Main Bus: Beale St. at Mission St
Reviewed August 15, 2013

OK, Chef Jason Berthold is gone, but was still at the helm, when we last dined at RN74.

My wife had dined there, when it first opened, on a trip, where I did not accompany her. She was impressed, and shared her review with me. About 2 mos. later, we were doing a culinary even at Blackberry Farm, Walland, TN, USA, with Chef Michael Mina. Chef Berthold was there, as well. My wife shared her report, and then we followed up with two visits to RN74, as we dine in San Francisco perhaps 40x per year.

Our most recent experience was good, but with some downsides.

We are more into fine-dining, than more boisterous bistros, but RN74 had been on the "good side" of noisy. The last visit was just over the limit. Also, we were seated (just a couple) at a very tiny 2-top, that could not hold our wine glasses. Before, we had been seated at a 4-top, and that worked out fine. At that tiny 2-top, we could not hold the food, or the wines - just too, too small.

As always, the food was excellent, and we watched the "wine board," to pick a few "deals." If we had only had room for both the food, and the wine, all would have been great.

On our first two visits, though filled, the noise level was not that bad. On this trip, it was a bit "over-the-top," and not to our liking. I suppose that it depends on the night, and the other diners.

We are sad that Chef Berthold has moved on now, but will dine at RN74 again, just to check and see, for ourselves.

Reviewed July 30, 2013

I definitely indulged the night our group went to RN74. We tried the bone marrow and sea urchin appetizers which sound weird, but tasted great. The main dishes and dessert were great as well. This place can get pricey, but the variety an creativity of the dishes are awesome.

1  Thank Magheeta411
Reviewed July 21, 2013

We chose the restaurant for our last night in SF to end on a high as we'd read good reviews.

Loved the setting and the ambience of the restaurant.

The menu was fantastic but needed some explanation. Everything we ordered was top class.

The service was great, our waiter was knowledgable and gave great recommendations.

Wine - as others have said, huge menu, but expensive.

My one major criticism was the state of ladies toilets. It was a Friday evening, but not late, and the toilets appeared to have not been cleaned or checked all day

Reviewed June 1, 2013

Ok, it's a casual Michael Mina, a combo that ranks high in my book. It's a loud and always humming place. The food is terrific and the wine runs from the familiar to the arcane. I've eaten here 5 or 6 times and always enjoy it. But, I am also always annoyed by how expensive the wines are. They need some good, more moderately priced choices. The service is not great but not bad (in all fairness, I'm usually with a group of 8-10). There are many interesting combinations of ingredients (cavatelli with duck confit and goat cheese) and it will satisfy both the fish and meat lovers. It's less suitable for vegetarians. Reservations are a must on the weekends at least.

Reviewed May 24, 2013

Set on the ground floor of the new Milenium Tower this jewel is inconspicuous from the street. Be sure you have the address if you are walking there. Met a friend for a business lunch and the atmosphere mid day was modern and open but has a warm feeling. There were a lot of tables and the place was full but we were able to talk and enjoy a wonderful meal.
The staff was attentive and helpful and stayed away when we were talking or eating. The dishes were beautifuly presented and tasted as good as they looked. We both had seafood which was delicious with nice portions.It was evident that the chef was presenting a boquet of flavors in each dish. My office is near by and I will be back.