“Zen”

$111.50*
San Francisco Hop-on Hop-off Ticket and Alcatraz Tour
Ranked #42 of 569 things to do in San Francisco
More attraction details
Owner description: Four-acre refuge in Golden Gate Park featuring Japanese architecture and gardens.
Reviewed November 14, 2012

This garden is absolutely gorgeous.
It has lots of nice things to see. The architectural elements, carp fish, a lovely gift shop and a Japanese tea house. It's very peaceful.
I highly recommend this garden.

1  Thank HelenaGuerra
Write a ReviewReviews (2,890)

Reviewed November 12, 2012

While exploring San Francisco via the "Hop On-Hop Off" bus tour, my husband and I decided to "hop off" at Golden Gate Park to do a little sight seeing. We wondered across the street from the drop off point and found the Japanese Tea Garden. Once we entered the gates, we were transported to a lovely lush, green garden. The bridges, ponds, streams and walking paths were meticulously maintained and were so peaceful I could have stayed for hours. There is a restaurant and gift shop inside the garden, but I did not get the pleasure of the first hand experience due to time constraints. The Garden is one of my fondest memories of the city.

1  Thank HollyL707
Reviewed November 8, 2012

I used to visit this every year or two. Last time I was there was 2-3 years ago. I was depressed. The fish had all died, it no longer looked cared for, it had become Chinese. The gift shop now sold cheap Chinese items and even the tea shop was selling Chinese snacks and teas and giving fortune cookies. I felt it was totally ruined and vowed never to return. I ended up back there while strolling through the park and was thrilled to find it is back on track. I was told the city now runs it and some one there has realized it needed its Japanese personality back. The gift shop now sells very nice Japanese items, the gardens are cleaned up and trees have good trimming again. Koi are back in some of the waterways. It looked and felt good. I spent several hours there enjoying it and feeling to happy it is back.

1  Thank DonCapeMayBeach
Reviewed November 7, 2012

Very picturesque - took about 75 pix. Laid out beautifully and very compact - perhaps 2 acres or so. Lovely winding paths, bridges, miniature trees, a rock garden. A neat gift shop. We did not do the Tea Ceremony. We were there on a chilly cloudy day, but still quite lovely. $7 per person is reasonable

Reviewed November 5, 2012

My brother visited from another state and suggested we go to the tea garden. It costs $7 (less for kids and seniors) to walk through it. Super picturesque and awesome. Lots of HUGE koi fish to enjoy, wonderful exotic plants one would never see anywhere else, lots of history to read, it actually is a pretty old attraction. If you can be sure to sip on tea at the open air tea garden. If you are lucky you can get a seat looking out at the beautiful garden.

1  Thank Darlene C