“One word - Excellent!”

San Francisco Symphony
Ranked #82 of 554 things to do in San Francisco
More attraction details
Owner description: Presents and performs over 220 concerts annually, from September through July. In 2011-12 celebrates its 100th centennial season- learn more at our website.
Reviewed June 27, 2013

While in San Francisco, some of our friends insisted that we stop by the Symphony. Any it didn't dissapoint! While it might not rival the grandeur of European symphony, it was stunning in its own right. Excellent acoustics, incredibly comfortable seating. Helpful staff and best of all, stunning music. What's not to love?!

There are newer reviews for San Francisco Symphony

Reviewed June 26, 2013

Every seat is excellent. Reasonably priced. Wonderful guests. Every time I have attended I have been 100% satisfied with the performances. Smokey Robinson and Johnny Mathis give nostalgic performances. The Mariachi in December should not be missed! Wonderful music for all to enjoy.

Reviewed June 24, 2013

Our hosts treated us to a symphony matinée and we loved it! The venue is magnificent and the sound was breathtaking. The concert included Sibelius, one of my personal favourites. Don't miss the opportunity to experience a concert in this amazing symphony hall.

Reviewed May 30, 2013

I declare an interest: I am a British classical music fan and a choral singer myself, well used to excellent concert Halls and venues with good acoustics (I live in Cardiff where there is a fairly new performing arts centre/opera house, a modern concert hall and a new chamber concert hall, all with internationally-acclaimed acoustic qualities). So, with a 2-day stopover in San Francisco, I couldn't resist the opportunity to sample a choral concert in the Davies Symphony Hall - no less than the Beethoven Missa Solemnis with Michael Tilson Thomas, and the SF orchestra and chorus. On entering the hall, I was immediatey struck by the presence of those notorious 'baffles', which I recognised as a method frequently used to counter poor acoustics in concert halls; then, later, I discovered more about the history of the major rebuild of the hall some years ago to try to improve the acoustics. The concert was good - impressive playing by the orchestra, the chorus was great (if perhaps rather larger than Beethoven would have expected) and the soloists of international renown. But the sound? We were in good seats, in the centre of the building, on the second tier up. To me, the sound was muddy, the soloists often drowned by the orchestra, and the balance between orchestra and chorus problematic too. Not the open-textured acoustic that one is used to in modern acoustically-designed halls. Visually the hall is impressive, seats comfortable. I feel a bit sorry for the musically-inclined residents of SF...... Great musicians, but not a great venue acoustically I believe!

Reviewed May 28, 2013

Such a disappointment to find out that the administration and the musicians could not negotiate in good faith, with respect for each other and their public. As of now, the strike is over. The Dymphony cancelled its East Coast tour, and some local concerts. Great way to increase revenue! The orchestra members, unhappy with their $165 thousands a year, got an increase. They are back on stage, at least until this contract ends.