“Great music...poor cab experience”

San Francisco Symphony
Ranked #95 of 564 things to do in San Francisco
More attraction details
Owner description: Presents and performs over 220 concerts annually, from September through July. In 2011-12 celebrates its 100th centennial season- learn more at our website.
Reviewed October 27, 2012

Having just arrived at my B&B, I was happy to find the Symphony was performing that night. Since I was staying pretty far away and was new to the city, I gladly took a cab. Totally enjoyed both the excellent music and the obvious pride the patrons had for their Orchestra. Upon leaving, finding a cab took forever and the one I did find was driven by a surly man who had hard rap music blaring on his radio. I was afraid to ask him to turn it down, so the lovely melodies I had hoped I would carry through the night with me were driven out of my brain. Obviously not the Symphony's fault, but I would recommend visitors arrange for a decent cab to return them from the performance.

Reviewed October 26, 2012

I especially enjoy the Messiah when they play it; but anything else will do. People love this symphony; you can't miss.

Reviewed October 20, 2012

The Symphony played well with guest conductor Vasily Petrenko; Bartok, Piano Concerto #3, Pines and Fountains of Rome. We found everyone very friendly and enjoyed our Loge seats. Make sure you go up stairs and check out the beautiful water color paintings. We didn't have a car, and getting back to our hotel was an experience, I would have arranged for a car to meet us if I had known how difficult it was to get a cab.

3  Thank techteach
Reviewed October 3, 2012

We were there for the orchestras Mahler 5 under Michael Tilson Thomas or MTT as he now seems to prefer to be known. In reviews read in England I had heard great things about both orchestra and hall. The Hall is wonderful; we need facilities like this in the UK. It has great access lines and good facilities before you go into the auditorium. But in there the acoustics are very good. You do not need a top dollar seat. The harp in the adagietto was crystal clear from our gallery seats well back for the orchestra pit.

As to the performance, it was good and the brass were crystal in precision and nell like in tone. There were great moments and MTT handled dynamic changes and changes of tempo well. I guess it was being recorded for the orchestras own label. My one reservation was that perhaps some of Mahler's rustic tones and lendler music was smoothed out too much. It could have been a little more raucous at times. But thank you to the SFS for a great evening out.

2  Thank linskitours
Reviewed September 28, 2012

It was great - I had never been and really wanted to hear just anything at the Davies Symphony Hall and its such a spectacular building