“Better than you would expect given the value and brand”

SOMA Park Inn - Civic Center
Ranked #176 of 231 Hotels in San Francisco
Reviewed September 14, 2010

So long as you keep things in perspective, this MOTEL is better that you would expect given the price, outward appearance, and location. Accommodations in this part of SanFran are scarce and expensive. Granted, I stayed at a reduced rate through a Choice Hotels discount, but assuming a reasonable rate, this MOTEL was just what we needed. There is free on site parking (which nearly justified the cost of our room in savings alone), great free WiFi, friendly staff, and clean spacious rooms. It is a motel, not a hotel, so don't expect a lobby or elevator service to your room. The neighborhood is probably the worst part, but I never felt unsafe. The entire surrounding area is not good so this should be no surprise to anyone. The motel is very convenient to the public transportation and the Bay Bridge as well. If you are just looking for a central location to sleep and park your car, I wouldn't hesitate to recommend this place, just so long as your expectations are realistic.

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank cosmosblk

Reviewed September 4, 2010

I booked this hotel looking for inexpensive accomodation while in San Francisco. All I require is a place to clean up and sleep. If I wanted to stay in my room, I'd stay home.

The staff at the front desk were very accomodating, even when I lost my key.

I was on the third floor. The room was clean, large enough and the bathroom was spotless. All the rooms face an inside courtyard where the parking is. My week there was quiet - I rarely heard any other tenants and didn't hear traffic at all.

The location is at 9th and Mission - not the best - but two blocks to 9th and Market, and an interesting stroll to the Orpheum Theatre and beyond. You can even walk to Powell St where the historic cable cars are.

There's a 24hr restaurant (All Star Cafe) across the street, and many more early in the morning a short distance away, for those of us with jetlag.

Not the best neighbourhood - but I walked everywhere during my stay, and felt safe at all times.

Don't bother with the continental breakfast. Like most others, it isn't worth the effort.

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled solo
Reviewed August 23, 2010

Smelly!
Dirty!
limited Parking.

ewwww (not worth me to waste more of my words for this place)

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled on business
1  Thank ntxhais
Reviewed May 31, 2010

I stayed for a week at this hotel and everything was great. The staff is really friendly and try to help you the best they can. The area is very convenient, there is everything nearby, coffee shop, Wallgreen, Bart and Muni station, bus stop and more.

If you are coming to San Francisco to visit the city it is one of the best place to stay at, cheap, clean and well located. Free Wi-Fi that is not restrictive at all is also a very good thing. There is a bit of noise at night but turning on the fan in the room solved the problem for me.

I would recommend this hotel to everyone that comes to San Francisco.

Reviewed October 19, 2009

We stayed here two nights just before going home. We had no time to search for a nice not too expensive hotel. Location near the Bart was essential for us. That's almost the only positive thing about this hotel. Ok, there were some free small parking spaces & there was free (very slow) internet. Breakfast is very POOR. only coffee and juice, not even hot water for tea!
We asked a non-smoking room, but they gave us a smoking anyway.The staff was friendly but they couldn't or didn't want to give us a non-smoking. The room was very old. The old furniture had dirty stains and holes.TV was old too. The noise from flushing the toilet almost gave us a heart attack. Thankfully the bed itself seemed clean. Traffic from outside was audible in the room. I had no problems sleeping but my girlfriend did.
The neighborhood was bad too. Not suprisingly though because we did see a lot of beggers in San Fransisco.
So, unless free parking and location near te Bart is essential, i would recommend staying elsewhere for just a few extra dollars.

• Stayed: October 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 16, 2009

I spent a week in this hotel ; the location was very convenient, not the best area in town but i felt safe in the streets; just off market street and civic center. My stay have been great, right from the begging, i have a very nice internal room, if only one bad thing the street can be a bit noisy. By the way all the rooms have got ensuit bathroom , it makes a different, the reception is very well run, very friendly and very helpful guys; i`ll come back here. definatelly;;

• Stayed: October 2009, traveled with friends
Reviewed August 27, 2009

It is a lot better place to stay than it appears from the outside! The rooms are very clean, the staff was very friendly and helpful. The neighborhood is not the best of places, but if you walk a mere 2 blocks, you have something completely different!
It is very conveniently located if you come from the airport and public transportation is nearby.

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled as a couple