“Take Earplugs, this place is noisy!”

SOMA Park Inn - Civic Center
Ranked #159 of 229 Hotels in San Francisco
Las Vegas, Nevada
“Take Earplugs, this place is noisy!”
Reviewed July 16, 2014

The room is fine, quite comfortable, and the location is pretty decent. It's only a couple of blocks from BART and Muni, and there's parking too of course. But it's very NOISY. This is an old motel, on the corner of 9th and Mission. There's a building site opposite, but it's the cars, buses, trucks, and everything else that creates noise which then echoes around the central open area of the building.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled on business
Manager1019, General Manager at SOMA Park Inn - Civic Center, responded to this review, July 18, 2014
Thank you for your input regarding your recent stay at our inn. Unfortunately, you are absolutely correct, we are located at busy corner and at times it can be a bit noisy.
We have insulated windows in all of our rooms, but there are times when it is less than ideal to block out the street noise.
Nevertheless, we hope you give us a try again the next time you visit SF.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (14)
Reviewed July 5, 2014

We came down to San Francisco to enjoy the 4th of July. I often book with Choice Hotels and figured I would again search for a choice hotel. Well this place is far from the quality that I know Choice Hotel International expects. We almost got killed walking from the Bay Area Rapid Transit Station to the hotel. We get to the hotel and you have to be buzzed in to even get into the office. Once in the office we were greeted by a staff member who was less than thrilled to be working. While checking her the staff members child was in a back room screaming bloody murder. She left the desk to go shut him up and then came back. At this point my wife and I are already ready to get the hell out of here. We finish check in and are directed to use this sketchy service looking elevator. We make it to our room which stunk to high heaven. My wife and I made a quick decision to get our money back and get the heck out of this place. We went back to the front desk and notified the unenthused staff woman that we needed our money back and had an emergency. The emergency was getting out of this hotel and neighborhood as quickly as possible. I requested my money back. She refused. I asked for a choice hotel credit and again she refused. I informed her that I knew she could do something for me. I'm a cop and could read her body language. She just didn't want to help in anyway. I asked to speak to a manager and he said no one was here. I asked her to call the manager and she told me that he was unavailable. I asked when he would be available and she said noon of the next day. Of course right after check out time. I asked for his name and her name. She was reluctant to give me her name but eventually did. I then informed her that I would be contacting my contact at Choice Hotels Corporate Offices. She told me that "this hotel is privately owned" basically hinting that corporate wasn't going to do anything. She I'm afraid is going to be looking for another job once corporate comes in for a random inspection of this dump. I'm sure corporate wouldn't want their brand affiliated with this place. I am calling my contact with corporate on Monday morning unless my card is refunded by local management. DO NOT BOOK AT THIS HOTEL!

• Stayed July 2014
1 Thank Tlang46815
Your comments are very helpful in trying to improve our level of service and delivering a positive experience for our guests. Be assured that we have taken certain steps to make improvements.
We apologize for the inconvenience during your recent visit.

Travelers are raving about these San Francisco hotels

Paris, France
Reviewed May 19, 2014

Flee! This is the worst hotel that exists. The room smells toilets, carpet is disgusting, you can not even walk barefoot. In the neighborhood there are a lot of homeless people and offenders. We do not feel safe.
I urge you not to take this hotel.
I am currently in the hotel and I have not even spent the night, I booked 3 nights and I really regret it.
I immediately booked another hotel.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
3 Thank ines z
So sorry to hear that our Inn did not meet your standards. All of your points were noted and we will address issues to the best of our ability. Our neighborhood is in transition and probably looks worse than it really is, as evidenced by the increasing number of people actually owning or renting in our immediate vicinity.
Nonetheless, we are sorry that you didn't have a positive experience at our inn.
Reviewed May 18, 2014 via mobile

Very nice staff.
Great daily parking value.
I was in and out.
The rooms come with microwave and refrigerator.
The location is perfect.
Of my visits to San Francisco, the Rodeway Inn is one of my favorite choices.
I highly recommend it because of the cleanliness and location.

• Stayed April 2014
Manager1019, General Manager at SOMA Park Inn - Civic Center, responded to this review, July 14, 2014
Thank you very much for your input regarding your stay in May. We pride ourselves in providing clean, comfortable accommodations at a reasonable price.
We hope to see you next time you visit SF.
Sagaponack, New York
Reviewed May 14, 2014

Certainly adequate and my least expensive option. The hotel is definitely in a sketchy couple block area at the corner of Mission and 9th. I felt ok but would not bring my wife and kids. Two female colleagues also stayed at this hotel and were uncomfortable returning after dark. Rooms are adequate: clean towels and sheets and the bathroom area was clean. Carpet was oldish so cleanliness was difficult to discern. Small coffee maker, a microwave and a small refrigerator. Flat screen TV is nice. Design (open courtyard) and location make noise an issue for what I am guessing is every room. My ear plugs provided a satisfactory work-around. Our last evening was even louder with a group of guests drinking and standing in open doorways. An altercation the next morning at 5:30am in the courtyard/parking area was even more unpleasant. My calls to the front desk to alert them were never answered. Nobody at the front desk upon departure at around 8:30am.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled on business
We are sorry for not meeting your expectations. Hotel policy is to have doors open by 7am. On your departure date, more than likely there may have been a few minutes where the front desk personnel may have stepped outside or upstairs for some reason. We appreciate your input so that we can continue to improve the level of service we provide to our customers.
Atlanta, GA
Reviewed April 4, 2014

Friendly front desk staff and rooms recently updated. Older style property but effort has been made to update and maintain the property. Card access required to enter elevator and side doors which made me feel more secure. I appreciated the fact the hotel has recently gone nonsmoking. Parking is available for a fee. Complimentary coffee is available in the morning at the front desk or you can brew your own in the room. Noise was a problem at night given the location in the middle of SOMA, so I would suggest bringing ear plugs. The first night someone outside was hollering all night. While the surrounding areas are showing some signs of recent gentrification, there are still plenty of homeless and transients on surrounding streets as can be expected in downtown San Fran. Hotel is two blocks from Civic Center Muni and BART station.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled solo
2 Thank seriousworldwanderer
Thank you for your input. We are happy that your experience was positive. Unfortunately, you are correct, we are at a busy corner and there are certain times at which it can get a bit noisy. We hope that this will not factor in your decision in staying with us the next time you are in San Francisco.
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed March 22, 2014

Had 4 days here, mainly for the location
Reasonably priced and clean
Fridge microwave and coffee maker and a dining table.
Good security as you cant get to the doors without your access key.
Surprisingly quiet for being on a busy intersection

• Stayed February 2014, traveled solo
Thank you very much for your comments regarding your stay in March. We appreciate your input so that we can continually improve our guest's experience. To that end, we became a completely smoke free hotel early this year. Your stay may have coincided with our transition from a mixed to a smoke free hotel. We apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused and we hope you will give us another chance in the future.
Thanks again for your valuable input.