“Good for short stay”

SOMA Park Inn - Civic Center
Ranked #171 of 230 Hotels in San Francisco
Reviewed July 16, 2012

This hotel is close to downtown SF with all the pluses and minuses. The neighborhood is dirty, but the rooms are ok. It is not a highend place, but the cost is reasonable for the city.
I would not recommend it for a long vacation, but for one night it is ok

• Stayed: July 2012
1  Thank Eran O
There are newer reviews for SOMA Park Inn - Civic Center

Reviewed March 25, 2012

Location was alright. Rooms were decent. Overall for the price it was pretty good considering it was in a major city. We stayed here because it worked out cheaper for 3 people here than in the backpackers.

The breakfast was very average but overall it was clean and cheap

• Stayed: February 2012
3  Thank Jameshil
Reviewed February 20, 2012

This place was definitely not expensive - the room was big and very clean, the bathroom was also clean. TV was a newer variety (sometimes a rarity at these places) and even though it was on a major street the windows are on the inside so you don't hear much street noise at all. It was walking distance from a Walgreens, Banking, Post Office and the convenient Streetcars and buses. (If you take the F streetcar it can take you to the CASTRO or Fisherman's Wharf directly).

For Gay travelers the place is walking distance for the SOMA bars - The Stud, The Lonestar, Kok etc and Mr. S Leathers. Close for the Folsom street fair and Dore Alley. (and like I said a streetcar to the Castro). It's also just a couple blocks from City Hall which is very convenient and there is a farmer's market close as well.

The Staff actually lives onsite and were very helpful when we needed something. The cleaning staff was friendly and prompt. There is free parking (which can be a $40 a night value however there is a lack of spaces - I would phone first on this).

Bad Part - The area around the hotel (Mission Street) does have a lot of homeless people and it is rundown. So it's kinda depressing around the hotel itself. There aren't really restaurants or coffeehouses to hang out at. (unless you count a starbucks on Market). I mean if Burger King full of homeless is your idea of dining you'll like it. So it's not as fun as staying in a neighborhood like at Beck's Motorlodge. It doesn't give you a very favorable impression of San Francisco if you are a first time tourist.

For the price more pluses than minuses.

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled with friends
5  Thank Eric8869
Reviewed February 13, 2012

I stayed at this motel for one night in October before an early flight out of the country. I really didn't want to pay that much considering I just needed a place to "crash" before my very early AM flight, so I put bad reviews aside and went for the cost factor over ratings. I am so so sorry I did...

The first impression of the hotel I had was the horrible service I received checking in. He was very short with me and didn't really help me answer any questions I had. I asked him twice if my frequent flyer number was on my reservation and he assured me it was. I should have asked for my money back the moment he told me to go through my car and make sure I had nothing sitting out in it, everything was locked, and that they were not liable for theft. This should have really forewarned me for what was about to come...

The elevator ride up to our floor made me feel like I was in a prison. More foreshadowing of my stay...The room was ok but really worn down. I didn't use the shower because I didn't get the impression that this was a very clean motel. Parking was right underneath the rooms and within eye view to the hotel office. The parking, however, was not secure so anyone from the street could walk through. So this is where my story truly begins...

For the remainder of the night I was serenaded by streetwalkers, crackheads, and heroin addicts arguing with each other and even sometimes themselves. Things were so loud I could not sleep at all. I think I got about 30-45 minutes of real sleep. Did I mention they have wake up service??? It's called waking up to your car windows being smashed in at 4am RIGHT IN FRONT of the main office! I notified the manager what happened and he seemed to not really care. He didn't even come out to look at the damage on my vehicle! I was parked inside of the parking area in the stall literally right in front of the office. When I asked him why he didn't run out and do anything or even take the time to peek out there he casually mentioned that this happens all the time and pretty much that it wasn't their problem. This was a really nice farewell from the U.S. the morning of my 3 week trip to China too.

I don't think I ever have had such a bad experience at a hotel. I know my windows being broken were not under the manager's control, but his reaction to it most definitely was. You don't need to be the trendiest and most expensive hotel to wow me, but I expect some level of respect and professional hospitality, especially to make up for the fact that your hotel is run down, in a horrible area, and unclean.

Please do yourself a favor and book elsewhere. I could have stayed at a 5 star hotel for the price I paid to replace my windows!

Room Tip: Want a good room? Look elsewhere!
  • Stayed: October 2011, traveled solo
11  Thank BuddhaInHeels
Reviewed January 1, 2012

So what if this isn't the fanciest place we've ever stayed, you couldn't find nicer staff. This is the city, and there are dicey areas, and it can be noisy, but it's part of the experience. Our non-smoking room was very clean, the king-size bed comfortable and the linens quite adequate. Also having a fridge, in-room coffee and a microwave is convenient. Free WiFi and parking is a real plus. Location is very convenient to public transportation and taxis were readily available. Key card access is needed to use the elevator which is a good safety feature. Overall a fine experience!

Room Tip: 2nd story rooms seem a bit quieter.
  • Stayed: December 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank happy4travel
Reviewed December 1, 2011

When I am in San Francisco, I always stay here. Sure the bed sheets are the cheapest, the location sketchy, and the furniture a bit dog eared but the proprietor is friendly, free parking (if you frequent SF, this is a big plus) and free WiFi. The tiny fridge is enough for a six pack and pizza will deliver. There are a few funky bars (AsiaSF), cheap Chinese feed across the street. It is just a block off Market and Mass Transit ample. If you like funky, colorful, and prefer the eclectic vibe of of the mission - this the is place. If you are the Russian hill type - stay away

• Stayed: November 2011
1  Thank nappyrabbit
Reviewed November 17, 2011

This hotel is an older property with minor updating. The surrrounding streets are noisy but relatively safe. I appreciated the card access required to operate the elevator to keep out nonguests. The staff was very friendly and attentive. My requested nonsmoking room turned out to be a smoking room, but, since the rate was very reasonable for downtown San Francisco, I overlooked the slight smoky odor and turned on the fan. The room size was on the small size, but I appreciated the fridge and microwave and free WIFI. Parking was available at the hotel. Breakfast consisted of juices, coffee, and danishes which was fine for my needs and acceptable given the rate charged. Earplugs were necessary to sleep. The bed was lumpy but comfortable. The pillows were on the small side. BART and MUNI are about 2 blocks away.

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled with friends