“Science, art, and lunch”
Review of The Moss Room - CLOSED

The Moss Room
Cuisines: American, Cafe
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol
Dining style: Casual Dining
Neighborhood: Golden Gate Park
Transit: The California Academy of Sciences is served by several public transit routes. From downtown, take SF Muni buses #5, 7, 21, 71 or the Muni-Metro N-Judah streetcar. From north of the Park, take Muni buses #33 or 44. From South of the Park, take Muni buses #33, 44 or 71. For more information, visit MUNI's website at www.sfmuni.com
Los Angeles
“Science, art, and lunch”
Reviewed January 8, 2014

The Moss Room at the California Academy of Science is a perfect place for lunch while visiting the Academy and the nearby De Young Museum. If you don't pay to get into the Academy of Science, you have to ask for a special entry into the downstairs Moss Room. It's a great environment with a locally sourced menu of high quality food. A little pricey, but worth the splurge!

Visited January 2014

Exeter, New Hampshire
“Surprise!”
Reviewed December 10, 2013

The food was a surprise in how good it was. The variety and freshness was welcome. I was reminded of European cafateria eating by the Moss Room. Since it is in the museum it is pricey, but that was to be expected.

Visited December 2013
Bowen Island, Canada
“I liked it!”
Reviewed December 3, 2013

Admittedly, they have to deal with crowds, and the menu is limited, and the location is not stellar.

But what a nice refuge from the hectic exhibit halls at the Science Museum, plus unexpectedly good entree choices at fairly reasonable prices.

I do not hesitate to recommend building a stop here into your day at the museum. just make sure to either beat the rush, or go later....

• Visited November 2013
Darby, Montana
“Excellent Service, Great Food, Nice Atmosphere”
Reviewed November 13, 2013

We were exhausted by the noise in the museum, so when the cafeteria on the main floor seemed our only choice for lunch, we wanted to eat elsewhere. But we discovered the menu for the Moss Room near the cafeteria and asked someone about it; in a few minutes, we were downstairs and so relieved by the quiet, calming atmosphere of the Moss Room. Our server aimed to please--no rushing, fixed my white wine spritzer as I asked, gave us time and space over lunch, and ultimately, didn't charge us for our dessert because he felt it took too long in the oven to cook. What more can I say! It was a fabulous experience, a story I've shared with many friends. I had the mussels in coconut broth (perfectly prepared). The salad was large but fresh ( I was told this item is being reworked). Coffee was French Press, and we had small, freshly cooked apple turnovers we shared. Overall, a great experience and needed reprieve from the noisy museum. Don't miss it!

• Visited November 2013
Maryland
“Terrible Customer Service”
Reviewed October 14, 2013

At a recent visit to the museum, I tried to eat here. Arriving about five minutes before closing time, I was told by the staff that the kitchen couldn't accept any orders after the top of hour. When I pointed it was still 5 minutes to the hour, they stated they were closing.

It was just an awkward experience. If they're open until 3PM, and state they can place orders with the kitchen until 3PM, they should be able to seat folks until 3PM.

• Visited October 2013