“Totally Overrated!”
Review of Slanted Door

Slanted Door
Reserve with OpenTable
Slanted Door is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #186 of 5,939 Restaurants in San Francisco
Cuisines: Vietnamese
Good for: Bar scene
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Dinner, Lunch, Delivery, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: On Embarcadero between Mission and Clay St.
Transit: The Ferry building is served by public transportation: Muni, Golden Gate Transit, Bart, F Train. Ferry service is available with Golden Gate Ferry, Blue and Gold Fleet and Bay Link Ferries. For more information, visit www.transitinfo.org and www.sfport.com
Reviewed November 4, 2009

While in San Francisco, I begged my husband to take me to The Slanted Door. We opted for lunch time. It was buzzing with activity when we arrived, but we were quickly seated. It’s extremely noisy inside. The waitress came by and went over some items on the menu and explained items were served family style. We chose 1 appetizer and 2 entrees. I had some elderflower spritzers, which were lovely! I asked to make a few adjustments to one of the appetizers as I don’t eat seafood. The springrolls were supposed to be vegetarian, but we were given pork. I ate it anyway, I don’t mind pork, but I don’t love it cold. It was ok, not the best I’ve had. For the entrees, we had niman ranch flank steak with fresh ginger over rice noodles with roasted peanuts and grilled five-spice chicken with tamarind dipping sauce. The flank steak tasted as wonderful as it looked. I only wish there were more of it! The flavors were spot on – ginger and roasted peanuts. But there were 6 tiny pieces of meat to be split between us. Oh well. I make 5 spice chicken often at home. I have to say, mine is better. I found this to be lacking in any flavor and I would have liked it cooked a little more. And for a $60 lunch, I was expecting more! I’m glad we didn’t go for dinner!

1  Thank jenvalet
Write a ReviewReviews (3,255)

Reviewed October 30, 2009

We were told that Slanted Door is a must while in SF so I made reservations ahead, arrived on time and were told to wait about 15 mins, during the time, they might have asked us if we wanted a drink, but missed that opportunity. We were seated in the very crowded and very noisey restaurant, on hard wooden chairs and bench. The wine list was limited and mostly French and organic. The Cab Franc we did order was weak, lacking flavour and body.
The food was ok, over priced and on a par with what you would expect to get at a chain restaurant. Not sure what all the hype is about. Chef lacks creativity, and plate presentation. When we told the waitress that the spicy tuna tartar was not spicy, she gave us attitude. Won't go back and probably won't recommend it.

Reviewed October 25, 2009

Expensive, yes. Beautiful, yes. Trendy, yes. Delicious, yes.
Must have reservations for dinner. Also open for lunch, which I believe is a tad cheaper. There is a restaurant in the large mall on Market Street with a called "Out the Door" which I believe, it is associated...kind of like a Pei Wei version of PF Chang.

Reviewed October 14, 2009

We made reservations 2 months prior to our trip to San Francisco for the annual Hardly Strictly Bluegrass Festival and scored a window seat on a Sunday night. This was the absolutely most incredible meal I've ever had in a restaurant, from the crispy vegetarian Imperial Rolls, to the Willis Ranch BBQ pork spareribs, right on through the Shaking Beef! The biggest surprise was the japanese eggplant, recommended by our waiter: amazing. Now that I think about it, the organic lemonade was also stunning, as was dessert, the french-press coffee, etc., etc. Although it was a bit lively, the noise didn't detract from the food. GREAT view, too.

Reviewed October 11, 2009

I ate here for a business dinner in September and it was AMAZING. It's served family style and everything we tried was delicious! From the spring rolls to the chicken with cashews and dates - it was all yummy! I'm sad I live on the east coast and can't eat here more often.